Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How do i cover my scars???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello

I've just joined this site. I dont self harm very often at all but i've had a bad spell. I never do it sober....just drunk. Normally its with a razor blade on my leg and i wake up the next day feeling disgusted with myself. my boyfriend knows and is supportive as he's had depression problems in the past.

However, last week i used a razor blade on the bottom half of my arm. its a right mess. They aren't deep cuts, buts lots...its obvious what i've done. My mum knows and my boyfriend and they have been supportive.

I've been using some gel thats meant to help scaring but its not helping. With the hot weather everyone is wearing short sleaves but i'm stuck with my jumpers to cover it up. I've tried to find some clothing that is suitable to wear in the hot weather but is long sleaved so to cover my arm....but all the shops are short sleaves or 3/4 length. Its really getting me down and affecting my confidence. I wanna forget what i did and move on but i cant as its affecting my everyday life.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and if so how did you deal with it. :confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Having the same problem at the moment. What product are you using? Bio oil seems to be helping me but what I'm going to do in the meantime is just apply cover up and use some powder to try and seal it. I think I've heard that green tinted concealer will reduce the appearance of it.
    I'm an ex self harmer (so far so good), I have scars on my arm which are obvious when people are close to me and a big scar on my leg. I'm embarassed and also want to forget the past but my scars are always there

Are the cuts deep enough to scar or is it just a short term fix while they heal? For the short term I'd probably go with the long sleeve option, shops will have summer stuff in but you'll find long sleeved stuff online, especially ebay - there's loads on there. What's your style - if you usually dress quite alternative then get yourself some funky armwarmers or fishnet gloves/sleeves

Are you using silicone gel? If not then get some of this, your doctor can prescribe it. I'm using patches called Silgel for my leg scar (which is also available as the gel which would be better for your arms) and it doesn't work instantly but over a few months it makes a big difference

Well done for trying to put it behind you. It's hard to deal with but you gotta look forward not back :)
    oo i forgot, big chunky bangles help too :) i hope they heal up soon
    oo i have the same problem too. ive an old scar on my arm that hasnt healed proper- sticks out a mile!
    i find using sudocrem or savlon straight after helps the healing.
    Hi Hope20 :wave:

There's nothing else practical to add other than to direct you to the fact sheet that The Site has on scars and treatments. You have been given some great advice.

The only other thing is to wish you a warm welcome to The Site community. Hopefully you will find all the support and advice on here that you are looking for.

Take care and keep posting :)
    i had this same problem last year and spent four weeks wearing footless tights and arm warmers pretending i was making a fashion statement, and tubigrip bandages at work for my "sprained" wrists. once the scabs heal you can get special cover up make up from boots which i have found really effective specifically for scars/tattoos. bio oil is good for reducing the appearence of scars and make up is good for hiding them.
    im having the same problem at the moment, i find cardigans handy , theyre nice, yet practical :) not to heavy ... you can leave them undone with a vest underneath... doesnt look suspicious ;)
    a question about scars- I have some raised, red scars that are quite obviously (from my pov anyway) from SH. I'm going to be working with kids during the summer, and i want to be prepared if they ask about them (kids are ages 7-14) any suggestions?
    skakitty wrote: »
    a question about scars- I have some raised, red scars that are quite obviously (from my pov anyway) from SH. I'm going to be working with kids during the summer, and i want to be prepared if they ask about them (kids are ages 7-14) any suggestions?
    I think with the older kids it will be easier to talk honestly about it, but I'm not sure what you can say to the younger ones. Obviously don't say anything unless they bring it up. Have you tried using Bio Oil on the scars? It will help to reduce them and make them less obvious.
    skakitty wrote: »

a lot of people are not familiar with self harm. it's a big deal on the internet because so many people turn to it for help but in everyday life, far more people than we realise have no knowledge of self harm at all, so it might not be obvious to them. i've done lots of work with children of that age and hardly any of them have mentioned the scarring they've seen, which a while back was quite shocking. they tend to just accept things as they are, and most wouldn't have the nerve to ask. if anyone ever did used to ask me i'd say that i had a friend with a nasty cat, and they'd accept that. i'd try not to worry about it unless the situation arises. and in the mean time, get your scars out in the sun and fresh air, it will work wonders.
    omg hi wrote: »
    a lot of people are not familiar with self harm. it's a big deal on the internet because so many people turn to it for help but in everyday life, far more people than we realise have no knowledge of self harm at all, so it might not be obvious to them. i've done lots of work with children of that age and hardly any of them have mentioned the scarring they've seen, which a while back was quite shocking. they tend to just accept things as they are, and most wouldn't have the nerve to ask. if anyone ever did used to ask me i'd say that i had a friend with a nasty cat, and they'd accept that. i'd try not to worry about it unless the situation arises. and in the mean time, get your scars out in the sun and fresh air, it will work wonders.

yeah i used to say i was playing with the cats! i got away with that cos i always play rough with them. now im away from home im finding it hard to find excuses! especially when theres more than one cut
    Hey i self harm too, i know how you feel.

try to cover them i guess; bracelets, whatever.
    make-up. If there reaally bad i know that you can go to the dr and they can recommend a foundation that covers scars.

excuses: cats

or: honesty. my one freind was just like "i got drunk and cut myself", mots people admired her honesty.

theyll clear up :)
    I just cover them up with sweat bands or bracelets if it's warmer. haven't had that problem for a few months now thankfully but the thoughts always there.
    when someone asked about one I said I caught it on barbed wire. I worked at a farm so it was plausible but honestly is good if you have the confidence.
    Or creams such as cocoa butter are meant to help apparantly and they smell good!
    Yeh, i'm putting on bio-oil every morning/evening, and just hoping for the best! I'm just not gonna make a big deal of them when i get out there i guess.
    Have You Ever Tried The Coconut Oil On Your Scar It's Really very Effective in Removing Scar Mark ,I had applied on Myself and Now I don't have any scar mark on my hand Actually I have Faced the Hudge Accident,You try this I think This Really solve Your Problem.
    I need advice on how to hide fresh cuts and scars. I can't deal with people finding out especially my parents. I play netball which means the cuts on my arms will be on show,any excuses I can use to explain if people ask :-/.
    hiya and welcome to thesite. It is always best to start your own thread if the thread you are looking at is old.

once the scabs have healed you can get make up from boots specifically designed to hide scars/tattoos. it is waterproof and smudgeproof and i've found it quite effective in hiding my scars when mine were red and noticeable. It is called KERAMASK. Bio oil is good to use on the marks to speed up fading.
    here i have some tips how to cover your scars :)
    1 Use a different hairstyle or wardrobe.
    2 Apply concealing makeup.
    3 Apply a camouflage kit that contains a mixture of adhesive creams and powders.
    4 Use concealing tape/adhesive tape/mircropore tape.
    5 Undergo cosmetic surgery for a more permanent solution to covering a scar.
    6 Consult your dermatologist on methods for scar concealment or treatment that may be the most suitable and cost-effective to suit your needs.
    Hope20 wrote: »
    I never do it sober....just drunk.

So my question is why do you have Razor Blades in the first place?

What do you use them for when you are sober that isn't related to self harming?
    Another dead thread that's been dragged up. Look at the dates before posting.
    Have you tried concelor then powder foundation? Braclets/watches. Bandage, or a this cardigan so youre not too warm?

Hopd this helps and stay strong beautiful

jmtx x
    jmtx wrote: »
    Have you tried concelor then powder foundation? Braclets/watches. Bandage, or a this cardigan so youre not too warm?

Hopd this helps and stay strong beautiful

jmtx x

Hi jmtx. Just so you know, this thread is really old so the OP is not around any more.

It's worth checking the date at the first post, even if it's been posted in recently.

Welcome to TheSite :-) It would be worth introducing yourself to us in the Introduce Yourself thread as well so we can say hello properly!
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey jmtx and leela_e,

Welcome to TheSite.org message boards and thanks for posting!

As Broken-Angel and piccolo said, we do try to avoid bringing up old threads.
    It might be worth having a look at our Good Manners Guide to get a sense of the guidelines:

I've now closed this thread, but feel free to start a new one.

JPick
This discussion has been closed.