Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to dumb down my CV for Retail?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yeah im crazy, i want to give up a career (if you can call it that) to work in retail. Basically for the past few years i've been working as an artist but im fed up of where i work, the work i do and the loneliness of it all.

I run my own business and thats now picking up traction meaning money isn't a huge concern for me anymore but i'd like to work part time in retail, its easy, fun but most of all i'll be surrounded by people my sort of age i can talk to. Some of the best friends i ever made was in retail.

My issue is my CV, i feel it'd turn off any potential employer despite being able to do the job easily. Its full of skills and experience that are far beyond retail work and i fear they will say im over qualified despite me wanting to do this, at least for the short term. So whats the best way to go about this?

I was thinking of handing my CV in as is, but having a short cover letter explaining why i want to work in retail and also trying to speak to the manager who reads the CVs to quickly explain it to.

Comments

• Options
    I think you should be careful about you phrase it - it could offend them if you are basically saying that you know you're over-qualified to do their job! Probably better to phrase it that you know you haven't had any relevant retail experience for a while, but it's a job you really enjoy and then highlight the transferable skills from the other work you've been doing in the meantime.

For example, if you've been dealing with the public in any way - or handling finances - then that's all relevant to working in retail. The best thing you can do when applying for any job is to look enthusiastic about working there.

Let us know how things go...
  • Options
    If you're truly passionate about retail, you shouldn't need to explain away any skills. The main thing will be to convince them that you would both take the job and keep it.

In my experience in retail, almost no skill is irrelevant. Look carefully at the job description (sounds obvious but it can be easy to overlook things when the sector is one you know well) and highlight relevant experience over more recent experience so that they don't see "High Powered Role" first, but "Excellent Customer Service Role".
  • Options
    Keep it as it is. I once said in an interview that I wanted a simple job (was retail), just to tie me over while I waited for something better to come along (it was already in the pipeline and planned), I got asked back for a second interview. I had to turn down the job because I found out shortly after that it would have disqualified me from the 'something better'.

But as previously said, all skills are transferable, while you don't have to be as abrasive as I (possibly) was and risk not getting the job by being brutally honest (which worked in my favor), big up what you have done to suit their job role.

If money isn't an issue for you even getting the part time job, how about volunteer work in retail? Lots of charities have stores, I volunteered regularly when I was a bit younger in places like British Heart Foundation, good memories that'll stay with me.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. The issue really isn't the interview, its my CV sitting on a huge pile of other CVs. It'll certaintly stand out but more of a 'why the hell is this guy applying' as my last few roles are far removed from retail. I know i could easily explain my situation in person but sadly my CV doesn't reflect.

Still i've written a cover letter that gives a very brief overview of why i want to change career so hopefully that'll be enough.

Whilst i know im not over qualified for a sales assistant job, they will wonder why im willing to take a huge pay cut and basically jump from my current role. Im a designer by trade so theres very little overlap with retail, i spend all day drawing on a computer with no customer interaction, but the companies i will be applying to i've at least worked at before so i'll use that to help further my case i can do the job to a high level.
  • Options
    "i want more experience with interracting with customers and the general public as it is something I have enjoyed in my previous role".
  • Options
    Well i handed in my CV the other week for my No.1 choice of store and after an interview with them got offered the job.
  • Options
    That is really good news :)
  • Options
    How much staff discount do we get ?

Knowing my luck you probably work at Tampon World.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Brill - nice one :)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Knowing my luck you probably work at Tampon World.

He said it was shop work, not a theme park.
  • Options
    NeoNero wrote: »
    Yeah im crazy, i want to give up a career (if you can call it that) to work in retail. Basically for the past few years i've been working as an artist but im fed up of where i work, the work i do and the loneliness of it all.

I can totally understand where you are coming from.

Most of what I've done in the past involved working on a computer and I'd rather be working or interacting with people.

I can understand why you might want to go into retail, it can be very satisfying helping people.

I've helped out people with the CV's in the past and one person I helped wanted to work on the reception desk of any company.
    When I looked through her CV it turned out she was a fully qualified lawyer back in her home country.