Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

"selfies are considered the worst pictures other people prefer not to see"

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Bit of a strange sentence I know ;) Here's the source, from the beautifully named website counsel & heal :o

http://www.counselheal.com/articles/6360/20130813/facebook-selfies-hurt-relationships-study-reports.htm

Does it ring true to you? Do you post selfies on FB, instagram or elsewhere?

If not, why not?

What do you think of other people's selfies? Do their pics affect your opinion of them?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I hate the word selfie far more than a picture :p To me, it does scream narcissistic, and I don't understand taking 85 identical pictures in front of a dirty bathroom mirror or in a car, but I'm old so, of course, I do not understand the youth of today, the same thing the elderly would have said about me 15 years ago.

But seriously, clean the damn mirror.
    It's rare for photos of me to go up on fb for this reason. I don't take pictures of myself and it's not often people take photos of me. On the rare event I do it it'll be because I've had a new hair cut or something and people ask for photos. I have one person in particular on my friends list that constantly posts photos of herself and has an entire album for it, and every single photo looks the same. Same pose, same hair, same smile. I just don't get it, it always screams fishing for compliments imo. I deliberately ignore these kinds of selfies so as not to feed egos. I do have a few arty type friends that use selfies to experiment with photography and such, so it's just easiest to use themselves. I don't really mind those because they're more interesting beyond standard bathroom mirror 'look at me!' photos. But otherwise, if you post a lot of selfies then I'm going to think you're either really insecure or just vain and pretending to not be. Luckily I don't have many of these people on my list
    Ballerina wrote: »
    It's rare for photos of me to go up on fb for this reason. I don't take pictures of myself and it's not often people take photos of me. On the rare event I do it it'll be because I've had a new hair cut or something and people ask for photos.

This. Although in my case, I tend to post the photo whether it's asked-for or not. Also for knitting projects if I'm modelling them myself!

I don't hate them from other people, it depends on the context. The odd one or two is fine.
    I just assumed nobody wanted to see pictures of me performing a selfie.
    I think some people are hooked on putting photos on fb to make their lives seem more exciting, obviously exciting events don't happen all the time so they resort to selfies. But in reality it just makes them seem more boring because they have nothing else better to do.
    I don't post selfies unless it's with something along the lines of me hanging out with my cat/ small nieces etc; a photo that I'd like somebody else to take except that there isn't anyone there to take it. I take selfies because it's easier to make myself look pretty in a camera than in a mirror, and it makes me feel better about my looks, but I'd never ever post them on Facebook etc, for fear of looking like a massively narcissistic idiot.

Other people's selfies generally really piss me off. I don't mind ones that are done with a reason other than 'omg look at me'; for instance my friend travels a lot, often by herself, and takes and posts a picture of herself with whatever she's visiting. Pointless dirty mirror pics drive me mental though.

I really like this Guardian article about selfies though.
    I just assumed nobody wanted to see pictures of me performing a selfie.

Me please
    My FB photo is a selfie, but only because i wanted a pic of me where i was and noone else was willing to do it.

I don't mind them if people want to take one pretty pic of themselves because they aren't happy with any of their other photos as the profile pic.

But yeah....people who get dolled up in their own home just to take 50 photos of themselves in the mirror. What?

Likewise, girls who use FB to show off their assets/guys who pose topless. What?
    There aren't that many photos of me on FB. If there are, it's usually ones taken by friends.

I have a FB friend who has loads of photos of herself in the same pose over and over again.

And don't get me started on those who post photos of their dinner...
    I have the odd selfie. One of the nicest pictures of me is a selfie, when I was bored on a long train journey.

I don't mind seeing them from other people, but too many of them does get a little irritating. I guess it depends on context.

I'd rather see a selfie than the sort of misogynistic bullshit that brought us "slanegirl" yesterday.
    I hate selfies!!!!! I can tolerate them if somebody's taking one to show off a new outfit but not every single bloody day, I really couldn't care less what you're wearing in your night out this
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If there's one simply because your previous photo is old and you're not making a ridiculous pose in it, they're fine. People posting 10 a day is annoying.
    Selfies are fine, when they're just an up to date photo. The way I see it, you don't have time to take a capturable moment selfie/photograph when you're actually enjoying something. You might on occasion, but not like those who post 1000 pictures from a night out, all posed, all 'fun', I've seen it first hand where every photo was showing them as having a blast doing crazy things, dancing yada yada, yet they spent the entire night sat in the corner doing jack all, just taking 'faked fun' photos.
    everybody's talking about 'selfies' like they're a new thing but back in the days of MySpace it was all people did! poooose. I might even be guilty of a few myself around 5 years ago...

there was a guy on my Facebook friends who would have a different profile picture every two days and they were all selfies of him with the same facial expression. mouth slightly open, hair perfectly styled. I had to delete him.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Does anyone's crush/boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife post them? Does it affect how you perceive them?
    Nope. I believe it's grounds for divorce.
    My OH did when he had a camera, but they were always fun or artistic as he did a lot of photography at one point so they were often more as a practice than anything. When I was there I often ended up being the subject instead to make a change. I enjoyed them and actually miss them now he doesn't have a camera
    **helen** wrote: »
    Does anyone's crush/boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife post them? Does it affect how you perceive them?

I work with a girl who is quite attractive. But her personality is so annoying and part of it is her constant barrage of selfies.

She put 70 odd pics of a night out on there last month. At least 50 of them were of her/her friends pouting at the camera..... :yeees:
    1175056_10151598856938931_1402527138_n.jpg
    Hmm, I wonder if all of these people who "hate" these pictures are the same 50 people who hit the "like" button without 30 minutes of a hot girl putting a picture of herself up on Facebook?

I think I'm like most other people in that I think people who do it are a bit self-centred, but if they're attractive, I still quite like it. There are definitely women out there where I kinda respect the fact that they don't need to post pictures of themselves every two minutes, but equally, would look at every single one of them if they did. It's like stalking from your own home. :yippe: I don't think it'd put me off if my girlfriend did it, I just don't tend to end up with the sort of person that likes their photo being taken (which doesn't mean ugly btw, before some cheeky bastard says it).

I'd be interested to know if people think differently about men and women doing this. My suspicion is that it's seen as a bit worse for a man to do it.