Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is this friendship worth it?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got a friend who I know since I was knee high. We used to do everything together. I'd always go to her house and would do the same. We had an extra special sort of bond because her birthday is a day before mine. Then I left school in year 3. I met new people made friends we kept in touch. As we got older she hardly kept in touch even though she knew where I lived and I had given her all my contact details. I know she had lots going on but calling me and saying ill call you back, not inviting me to her parties anymore when I made all the effort speaking to her.:crazyeyes

A few years ago she started to talk to me more, we were 18 and she still does when it suits her want to keep in touch. Making an excuse is one thing though I'm pretty sure she lies half the time. I've always gone out my way to do everything with her and still consider her as my best friend. Though I feel sometimes she can be misleading and doesn't care. I think of her most days and ok she's got stuff on and things but she always cancels out on plans we make, nowadays she ignores my texts. Replies back saying how she's having fun with other people. Stands me up. :/ :nervous:

I'm always there for her, she's not. Every blue moon more like. I've told her how I feel she's always telling me that its not her but me. I don't get why she wants me to apologise all the time and get away with it herself. I've had gaps where I've not talked to her for months. Been happy most of the time. Then I feel a gap and I feel guilt that I haven't done good by her and go back to being friends. So does that's mean the problem lies with me? I know family comes first, her brother is getting married shes bound to be happy and i am for her to, though she hasnt invited me half of my other aquantainces have an invite. when i ask her about this she says theres no room. I am fedup of her making feeble excuses but what should i do when she doesnt listen! why let someone hang waiting for you to ask your plans or how you are when there more concerned about themselves.

I go out my way for people. I care. Idont know why she has stopped. I'm concentrating on getting back to uni and doing a course this year. Part of me says forget her, move on and part of me says. Don't ruin the 12 year old friendship. Is it really worth it?

:banghead:

Comments

• Options
    youve grown up. Shes not your best friend. Youre childhood friends but not best friends. She certainly doesnt think of you as a best friend. Back off, because youre only getting hurt here.
  • Options
    youve grown up. Shes not your best friend. Youre childhood friends but not best friends. She certainly doesnt think of you as a best friend. Back off, because youre only getting hurt here.

Yeah, pretty much.

Most of the time all we really have in common with the people we're at school with is that we go to the same school and can talk about the same teachers. There's a certain amount of going through the same stuff at the same time. These things change quite quickly once you're not at school anymore.
  • Options
    It's so sad when this happens but as we grow up we either grow together or grow apart & tbh she doesn't sound like a very nice friend to have, imo in most relationships we are either the garden or the gardener ( bear with me here) the garden just is what it is but it needs tending to, cutting, pruning etc & the gardener is the doer if you like in other words it would appear from what you have said that your friend is the garden & you the gardener but as in all relationships there should also be give & take & a "proper" friend would make more of an effort & from what you have said she knows this deep down which is why she has put back on you. Maybe it would be better for you to not contact her at all & see how things go, if she does not make arrangements & stick to them then have you really lost anything apart from being let down? X
  • Options
    Thank you for all your comments- I suppose I hadn't looked at it like that. I myself don't think there's much more of a friendship left if what she's done and still doing doesn't actually make a difference to how she reacts or talks to me. We went to completely different secondary schools so that definitely had an impact. Then she finished school and it was only at sixth form where she became close friends again I think because she had one else to hang with or talk to. It makes sense as she's at uni now so obviously busy but there's no point me waiting for her and her not turning up or telling me she has lost my birthday present the one she ordered thinks her mum has given it away to someone.
    I'm still thinking this through. Though I don't see the point of having a friend like that.
  • Options
    Just came across this thread again and have totally broken off all contact. I got silent treatment from her and changed my number she then said for someone to tell me that she's not bothered and never has. Oh well. Thanks for all your advice guys :)
  • Options
    Sorry Sonia1 to hear that she told someone to tell you this - and even though it must've been hard for you to stop all contact you should be proud of yourself for being so strong! :yes:

If you had any doubt before, just the fact that she said this shows she didn't seem worth it :no: *hug*
  • Options
    I'm afraid to say it but the longer it stick trying to please her, your going to get more upset. I know it's sad when friendships end but be grateful with the time you've had together.
    With each goodbye you will receive a hello. So just think about what's going to make you happy. Focus on yourself because this won't be helping your health much.
    I'm always trying to help stay friends with people who I've know for a long time. It's harder at school though because they can be so horrible publicly if you annoy them.
    Get a great circle of friends, focus on the future and your set:)x