Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Just going to jump straight in, I'm a 17 year old virgin.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yup, I'm 17, I'm a virgin. I really don't have a problem with it at all, truly I don't, in fact I respect myself for it. But I can't help worrying that I'll always be one, up to the point that it's weird. I'm starting year 13 now, and lots of my friends are virgins too, but they're going to university next year and I'm not. I won't be going to university at least two years after I finish, for reasons that don't really matter right now.

Basically, I'm worried. I'll be here as people are moving away, I'll be knowing less people, have less reasons to go out, I don't want to have sex until it's with someone I trust, but how am I meant to meet someone like that?

I completely accept that I'll probably be a virgin until I go to university at 20, but as a girl, I don't want to be the 'old girl' at uni and completely miss out on everything people do because I'll be more like a chaperone to the recently 18 year olds. So then, after that, I'll probably be a virgin until 23, it gets older and more weird, so weird that no one wants to be with me because of it, in case I have some 'deep issues or I'm prudish'. I'm not looking for a boyfriend right now, and even then I'd have to be with them for a few months and trust them before I lose my virginity, but what if I'm making things worse for myself by not putting myself out there?

If anyone could read this and tell me what they personally think, that would be nice, it's been on my mind for a while now. Agghhhh!

Comments

• Options
    I just don't understand why you have such a problem with being a virgin, and wanting to lose your virginity. :)
  • Options
    It's not that, I quite like being one at this age. But I just think when I eventually do want to, y'know, I won't be able to because I'll have left it too long or the people will still be player sort of people, I don't know, my trust issues with this sort of thing are insane, so that would make it hard itself. Thank you for replying though!
  • Options
    On the mature student thing, I wouldn't worry too much. My friends in my first year at uni were mostly 20-21 but they certainly weren't chaperoning me!
  • Options
    As a mature student myself (I worked for 13 years before going back into education) I can honestly say that you have nothing to worry about with regards to feeling like you'll miss out, or just be the chaperone.

I'm 33 years old now, and about to start the second year of my degree. I'm the oldest still on the course, but not by a lot (I think the next one after me is 31, and there's more than a handful in their mid-20's). The beauty of University though is that there's such a huge diversity across the board, and none of them matter to the vast majority of students. Despite my age I still socialize and enjoy Uni life as much as the rest of them (even more than most). :)
  • Options
    As a 30 year old, I struggle to tell the difference between a 17 and 20 year old. You'll only be the "old maid" if you act like one. Yes your new friends will be younger than you, when you get older it really makes no difference. I've got mates at work who are 25-28 (imagine being 20 and having a 15 year old friend shock horror) and i'm friends with a guy in his 50's.
  • Options
    Okay, I can honestly say you guys have really helped me out with this, I don't even know what I was worrying about! I don't know much about university I guess. But thank you :)
  • Options
    I lost my virginity a week before my 17th birthday and it was absolutely horrendous :hyper: i had no clue what i was doing and basically i was pants :d It was a one off with a girl just because i was being peer-pressured into it and in hindsight it was a mistake...but hey...I'm still breathing.

I've only been on this site a short time, but the common theme of this board is over-stressing about situations that you really don't need to stress about. Just relax! Love can jump out and hit you at any time and you have to embrace it and not be too scared or shy.

One of my favourite quotes of all time:

You've got to take the good with the bad, smile with the sad, love what you've got, and remember what you had. Always forgive, but never forget. Learn from mistakes, but never regret.

Too many people on here focus solely on the bad and do not look at the good in their lives surrounding them. You are 17years old and already have a mature head on your shoulders. You know what you want in life and have a plan, you value your morals and have seemingly been brought up well. FOCUS on these positives in your life and you have something to smile about. I am 25years old now and start university in september, so you will by no means be the oldest one there, i have screwed up a professional football career, travelled the world, had one failed attempt at university, worked in a hospital, and in bars. I have failed in relationships and I have been a bad friends at times. But it's how you react to those situations and turn them into a positive that will make you who you are.

Love yourself, respect yourself and take whatever life throws at you and always smile. Don't make your virginity the issue, instead let it be your happiness and the rest will follow :razz:
  • Options
    OP, listen to me.

Chill out.

This will solve a great many of your problems.

This. It actually makes me sad that someone would consider being a virgin at 17 a problem.... :-S
  • Options
    Hello coloured sea creature buddy :wave: