Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should I tell my girlfriend I wear girls clothes?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, I'm a 19 years old boy and I'm not gay, I have come to love wearing girls clothes.
Should I tell my girlfriend and ask her for more of these clothes?
And should I wear this to school? Or should I keep it a secret?
I really hope you can help. Thanks so much.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :nervous:
    How do you think your girlfriend would take the news?

I really wouldn't wear girls clothes to school, at least at this stage. If you wore them around your friends and family, and felt really comfortable and happy with the reactions you are getting, then I would think about it, but be aware that unfortunatly the vast majority of society still don't see cross-dressing as an acceptable thing. It is a perfectly acceptable thing to do, and if it make you happy go for it, just be aware of the consequences of doing it in public.
    Depends how confident you are really... And how understanding your girlfriend is, if your girlfriend is understanding and only you can really gauge that, then you should tell her, i suggest a good way to like bring it into conversation is for example you like comedy maybe, watch Eddie Izzard (He wears womans clothing in his early shows), ask her opinion on transvestites and men in women's clothes, if she responds well then you could tell her maybe. Just a thought...

Should you wear it to school? Unless you've got skin of steel, and are immune to harsh comments and general douche bagness, then no, i don't suggest it. I quite often dress in feminine clothing, and sometimes to school, and you do get a lot more abuse for it in school, as some how it's acceptable to do it. Out in public? Go for it, the general public don't normally care or get involved. Obviously if you walk passed a group of chavs, they're gonna be like "lol", but that's expected.

At the end of the day, it's up to what you feel comfortable doing...
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    How do you think your girlfriend would take the news?

I really wouldn't wear girls clothes to school, at least at this stage. If you wore them around your friends and family, and felt really comfortable and happy with the reactions you are getting, then I would think about it, but be aware that unfortunatly the vast majority of society still don't see cross-dressing as an acceptable thing. It is a perfectly acceptable thing to do, and if it make you happy go for it, just be aware of the consequences of doing it in public.

yeah,you are right,I considered too little, I have not to take my family's feel
    Really thank you for your word, it is very useful, I really should be to think about how can I do for myself next..
    Where are you living?

I have a friend who cross-dresses (and is gorgeous) but gets a lot of shit out in public and you have to be prepared for that if you decide to be a bit more open.

If you think your girlfriend would understand, she would be a good person to have some of these conversations with. Be prepared for the fact that she might need to ask questions like, "are you gay?".

Gendered Intelligence are a good UK-based organisation for people who are transgender, cross dress, etc., you might find them helpful.
    Its not about you're families feelings, if you feel happy doing it then do it, but just be aware of how they might react and what you do in private vs public. I do all sorts of things I wouldn't do around my family, but would around friends and vice versa. If crossdressing is really important to you, and you feel it is part of who you are, then you should broach the subject with your girlfriend and go from there... it all depends how open-minded and tolerant people are. I know my friends and family wouldn't have issues with it, but they aren't religious and have experienced far more "out there" stuff than crossdressing...
    I've recently lived on a boat in zone 6 london and theres a cross dresser lives on a barge with his wife and 2 children. He is VERY accepted around the area and works as a welder.

It can be accepted in society but i wouldn't do it in public without first realising the reactions that you WILL get from some people.

Peace
    Personally, I consider cross-dressing more of a fetish, rather than a real need to identify as a woman, as a transgender person would do.

Do you feel that you want to be a woman? Or do you just like the feel of being in women's clothing?
    J@ke wrote: »
    Personally, I consider cross-dressing more of a fetish, rather than a real need to identify as a woman, as a transgender person would do.

Transgender is an umbrella term that includes transvestisism. You mean 'transsexual' when you talk about identification and transition.

Cross-dressing is not an exclusively fetishistic activity, it's a form of gender expression that sits outside the binary.
    piccolo wrote: »
    Transgender is an umbrella term that includes transvestisism. You mean 'transsexual' when you talk about identification and transition.

You're quite right. I used the wrong term. :)
    piccolo wrote: »
    Cross-dressing is not an exclusively fetishistic activity, it's a form of gender expression that sits outside the binary.

I don't quite understand this.

Either he is dressing up in women's clothing because he likes the feeling of wearing women's clothing (sexual to a large degree?) - or he feels to some extent that he is a female trapped in a man's body. What other form of 'gender expression' might you be referring to?

I know I may be too simplistic but I am trying to understand better. :)
    Wearing women's clothes doesn't have to be for sexual pleasure and it doesn't have to mean you identify as a woman.
    Wearing women's clothes doesn't have to be for sexual pleasure and it doesn't have to mean you identify as a woman.

|^| What I should have said.

Hope I didn't sound hypercritical, just trying to be accurate for the OP's sake.

So why would a man wear women's clothing (unless it's a pseudo-political statement i.e. Eddie Izzard)? There has to be some motivation and I don't understand what that might be?
    Nobody seems to have answered the question so i'll do it for you.

YES!

You should tell your girlfriend because relationships need to be based on trust. You need to trust that if she cares then it wont bother her and she needs to trust that it doesn't change the way you feel about her.

I really hope it all goes well for you dude!
    J@ke wrote: »
    So why would a man wear women's clothing (unless it's a pseudo-political statement i.e. Eddie Izzard)? There has to be some motivation and I don't understand what that might be?

There are as many motivations as there are people who wear clothes of the opposite gender. Why do you wear your particular type of clothing?

As for "pseudo-political", what does that mean?
    Egn92, how old are you?

There's a club in Vauxhall where crossdressers are welcome (I like to cross dress too sometimes).

I think with your girlfriend, it really depends... Obviously, in a perfect world she'd accept it, but in the real world people are so hung up with gender roles that she may not. That said... Wouldn't you rather be with somebody who accepts you anyway?

I think the thing is that if you're still in school, it may be better to start wearing these clothes in public once you leave. If it's anything like my school, kids could be quite brutal.

Kate Bornstein does a lot of work for young people who fall outside the traditional gender binaries. There are a few online communities out there as well, who would support you.
    It depends how open your girlfriend is. If it was me I would be okay if my boyfriend wanted to wear my clothes and stuff. I met men who openly admit to wearing dresses and put on make up and they were straight and married. Some people believed that there should be no gender barrier for what people should wear. Even my idol Ed Wood Jr. was famous for wearing women's clothing. One way you can figure out if your girlfriend is open to the idea or not is to watch the very cheesy movie by Ed Wood called "Glen or Glenda". Then ask her at the end how she felt about the movie.
    For me, it’s best to tell your GF to save your relationship. If you are happy, then do what you think is best. be wary of public scrutiny
    Its best not to bring up old threads. I think he had all the advice needed back in 2011.
This discussion has been closed.