Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Masters

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've started thinking of doing a masters degree part time.

Main issues are my health not being good enough and paying the fees.

Thinking of either a practical science course or a more philosophical science course.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't do one.

But that's coming from someone who's practically having a nervous breakdown over her final project that's in in a week. They're bloody hard and I've seen several people on my course fall both physically and mentally ill because of how difficult it is.

If you're serious then part time would be best, I'm struggling with full time and I thought I was a pretty solid person.
    doing something through the OU sounds like a good idea - I want to but I'm having to work out how to get funding sorted for it.
    The problem with the OU is the amount of motivation and lack of support.

I think distance-learning might not be supportive enough for a student who has health concerns. Something like the evening courses at Birkbeck might be better suited.

An honest conversation with admissions would be your best bet, or a chat to someone from your old uni who knows a bit about your circumstances and abilities.
    Birkbeck might be a good idea for you Randomgirl, especially as they're just down the road for you. I have a few friends who've done evening courses there, even module by module.

Have you thought about taking a course on a module basis, just to dip your toe in the water to see what you're capable of? The taught part of most courses should be OK for you with the right support, but the final project is a big ask of anyone.
    piccolo wrote: »
    The problem with the OU is the amount of motivation and lack of support.

I think distance-learning might not be supportive enough for a student who has health concerns. Something like the evening courses at Birkbeck might be better suited.

Not my experience at all. There is a lot of support from the OU if you ask for it.
    Melian wrote: »
    Not my experience at all. There is a lot of support from the OU if you ask for it.

That's really good to hear :)
    i'm planning on starting my masters in a few weeks and i have to relocate to do it, because the course and institution i have an offer for are so good that it was this one or nothing. the money is a big deal as i suppose it is for everyone. i've saved up some money through working throughout my undergrad and inbetween years, but my family don't really have any money to help me. i will be working at the same time as the course (which is full time) and hoping that the money i've got will stretch, basically. i'm still weighing up whether or not to get a career development loan.

as i did for my undergrad, i've already been in touch, and met with, student support at the uni and had plenty of extra support put in place. the cost and the possible impact on my health have worked against each other, because i'm doing the course full-time and will have to work a lot too in order to make it cheaper, but in an ideal world i'd take it slower to make it less stressful. if i could afford it, and if it was practical, i'd probably go down the modular or part-time route. i know it's going to be a really tough year.

aside from all of the money/housing/jobs crap, i am really excited. i'm doing a course that i never dreamed i'd get on and although i'm hoping with pretty much every fibre of my being that i'll get a good job afterwards, ultimately i want to do it because i'm interested and WANT to study this subject. i think that if you want to pursue a topic that you really love, you'll find the way that's best for you and it will work out.
    I'm typing this on my phone... Computer is bring mended.

I'm considering the following options-
    So my options look like this-

OU modules from masters in Science and Society

UCL masters /postgrad dip or cert in either History and Philosophy of Science or Science and Technology studies (like sociology of science etc) part time over 2 years

Birkbeck masters in analytical chemistry - good employment prospects but not sure about it.
    Not too worried about a big project, I enjoyed my undergrad dissertation and got a good first for the project, it was in sociology of chemistry. I'd say of all the stuff I'n my degree that's what I enjoyed most.

One thing that concerns me is I don't know what the government etc are going to do to benefits in the next few years. As I get higher DLA I should be able to get my ESA and housing benefit etc whilst I study part time but I don't trust the system. I have friend's with mh probs that have got degrees this way.
    If you find out about that one I'd really like to know cos that's the one thing stopping me. I'd only do part time as i could but it worries me.
    Sounds like you've got a lot of it worked out. The main thing for benefits I guess would be proving that it's less than 16 hours? Have you spoken to anyone about that?
    Well part time at ucl is 4 hours contact a week.
    It's often about more than the contact hours - I don't know the detail, but it's probably something worth checking.
    It may also depend on how many hours private study you do. For example, if I did 60 credits at OU, I'd be classed as full time because I have to do at least 16 hours a week; but may only have a tutorial (2 hours) once a month or something.
    Studying doesn't count as "work" for benefit purposes. However if you're studying whilst on disability benefits you'll often struggle with the work capability assessment; the corrupt cunts at ATOS take the view if you're well enough to study- even at distance- you're well enough to work.
    Well they were okay with me doing voluntary work.

I'm going through the ATOS process again at the moment as it was 18 months since I last did it. My gp is sure I won't have to go back to work as I have a lot going on mentally and physically at the moment, she says if they try anything 'we will fight it'.

I've done the odd evening class since being on these benefits and have friends who got their degrees (undergrad and postgrad) this way.

I'm thinking I'll give it a go with the OU, starting with a little course. Then other times I think negative and think I can't change my situation so why bother trying, I'm destined to be like this forever.

Also I finish my current therapy programme in about 5 months at which point I'm being refered to a Skills Development Programme for Personality Disorders, my friend has been there and they helped a lot with getting going, how to function when you feel like crap etc.
    So a bit of research seems to say that I could study a full time course on my benefits, so I wouldn't have to prove how many hours I study. But the issue may be the one ArcticRoll said about ATOS thinking I'm fit for work. I have no intention of studying full time though, cos I wouldn't be able to cope with that.