Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Results and the future

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Recently I got my AS results and I got BCCDD, I had myself set on medicine, so these results have shaken me and knocked my faith in myself completely seeing as though most teachers said I was on course for As in their subjects.. I just can't deal with exams well and my back up is to do something with chemistry, most require chemistry at a B grade and my results show I can get a D so even that seems to not be happening.. I have no idea what to do, my head of year wants me to drop chemistry but I still want to do it but I don't know if I should, and I have no idea what to write for a personal statement either because I don't see anything that special about myself, I don't have many achievements/experience and I don't see how I can impress anyone/universities with a blank personal statement :nervous: I really don't know what I should do right now because I feel like I can't do anything with the hand I've dealt myself.. ~J~
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just a quick reply. I'm an engineer. I got DDD at a-level. Now I have two degrees.

You can still do it. You could do a biology degree, and a medicine post-graduate conversion.
    There's always post graduate medicine.

I would suggest talking to some of your teachers that you think you get on well with, about your results and see if they've got any suggestions. Those results are quite a big difference to As. Talk to them, it might be worth thinking about getting the transcipts of some of the exams you took to go through with one of the teachers to try and get some idea of where the problem lies.
    Thanks guys, actually do feel a little better for that fiend_85, and yeah I think I'll have to have words Scary Monster. :)
    I'd like to echo post grad medicine. You could always do some kind of biomedical degree and transfer to medicine post graduate. I have a friend that has just finished his first year of post grad medicine and he's doing just fine. Plus straight A's isn't always a sure way of getting on the course you want anymore. You also seem to have done a lot of AS levels, are there any that are worth dropping? I personally found that the hard thing about A levels (biology especially) was the sheer volume you had to learn, rather than the difficulty. I would suggest dropping a few subjects and looking at biomedical degrees. You might even find that you want to go down a different route once you finish, so you have plenty of time to make your mind up if medicine is really what you want to do.
    Yeah one of the Ds is general studies which was compulsory which i plan on dropping once i've talked to my head of year
    I don't know why schools still bother with general studies when most unis don't accept it anymore anyway. That time could be put to better use studying for the subjects people care about
    Exactly ballerina, I see no point to Gen Studs