Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I felt the fear and did it anyway...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone :wave:

Last night, over on the leaders network, we were talking about the things which scared us, or were unsure about, but we went ahead and did anyway and how we felt after doing them. For me, starting at university was something that I was scared about, but I'm really glad that I did: I've met some lovely people and rediscovered my love of the academic side of life. The initial fear has been totally worth it.

It would be great to have your input on this- whether it's something like feeling anxious about meeting a new group of people or moving to a different area of the country...whatever it was, we want your input :D

Comments

• Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    For me it was getting involved with volunteering both online and offline. I was worried people wouldnt like me and I wouldnt fit in. I was also scared about stepping out of my comfort zone. However I am glad I went ahead with it. Cos I have met some great people who I developed friendships with, and gained more confidence and also learnt new skills :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    Finished my PGCE course even though it was so hard and i wanted to leave after 2 months, but I pushed through anyway and am so proud of myself for finishing
  • Options
    For me it was getting involved with volunteering both online and offline. I was worried people wouldnt like me and I wouldnt fit in. I was also scared about stepping out of my comfort zone. However I am glad I went ahead with it. Cos I have met some great people who I developed friendships with, and gained more confidence and also learnt new skills :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Volunteering for me as well. I saw a volunteering opportunity, something I am interested in and thought I would really enjoy it. I sent them an email and straight away was accepted for the role. I was quite anxious about it and worried because I wasn't sure what to expect, thought I wouldn't get along with the other volunteers or I would do something wrong. I'm really glad I sent that email. It was a lot of fun, I leant alot, gained more confidence and the other volunteers were really nice.
  • Options
    Just after my 17th I got a phone call saying I'd be moved from my parents house into a Hostel, I felt so scared, all I had to do was turn up to the interveiw, I was nervous, Terrified about attending, I'd heard the bad things about hostels, and focused on them, it put me off wanting to move in, Then I attended, Moved in. Now I'm so glad I did, Because I met some of the most amazing people!...and, some of the worst. but I built a really strong connection with a support worker who, In time, Helped me from being so shy..to, Being the hyper person I am now..Now nobody can shut me up!
  • Options
    Going to my first LGBT society meeting at university, I stood for an empty committee place and was Co-President within weeks. Best thing I ever did.
  • Options
    probably parties/gatherings I felt nervous about going to because I felt ugly and blugh. I've ended up going with a 'fuck it' attitude and really enjoyed myself
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Well, camping. Haha. I know it sounds lame. But the first time I went camping for DofE, or with Guides, I was nervous, as it was a change of environment, and I wasn't used to sleeping outside, with Guides I had to sleep in a tent by myself with DofE, with my team group. It was scary. However, as much as I was scared, I knew I wanted to do it. I love the satisfaction of getting away from home at times. However, as scared shitless as I was alone in a tent, I made it through a cold night in a tent ;)
  • Options
    I moved to Paris by myself :)