Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Doctor, v12.0

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Peter Capaldi, apparently.

I've never heard of him before personally, but I can definitely see him in the role. And I'm glad to see a non-"youngster" take up the role again.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm sure he'll be awesome, because he is a terrific actor. I'm a little disappointed that he's another white man, the potential barriers to the Doctor if he were female, or black.

But hey, it's a good solid choice, and I'm looking forward to seeing the anniversary episode in November.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    piccolo wrote: »
    I'm a little disappointed that he's another white man, the potential barriers to the Doctor if he were female, or black.
    Afraid to disturb the waters, probably (I'm probably misusing that expression). In another forum, whenever the possibility of the Doctor being a woman is brought up, there's so many people who say they'd stop watching without even giving her a chance that I'm always shocked.
    Probably a coincidence, but he's credited in World World Z as "W.H.O. Doctor". :D
    He's about as much use as a marzipan dildo.
    My favourite from the Grauniad comments:
    Don't dare f'ing threaten to exterminate me, you oversized f'ing bean tin. I'll rip your exterminator out, reinsert it and reverse your polarity until you're chanting exterminate in f'ing contralto
    I read that in a scottish accent.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I read that in a scottish accent.

As you should!
    Amusingly he lives down the road from me in Crouch End. Bet he doesn't swear like that in Harris and Hoole :lol:
    I'm sure he'll be awesome, because he is a terrific actor. I'm a little disappointed that he's another white man, the potential barriers to the Doctor if he were female, or black.

I'm not, because that would be pandering to a vocal minority asking for more representation or more this, that and the other, rather than actually finding a person who's right for the role.
    I think it would have been nice to have seen a black and/or female doctor, but I ultimately think that having such a doctor would completely miss the point of equality. Mainly in the sense of "whoo hoo doctor is a lady, equality solved" when it wouldnt be.

As for the choice of Doctor, I think it has been a good choice, I've already been laughing at the Malcolm Tucker is Doctor Who mashups. I think it will be nice to have an older Doctor again.
    Mist wrote: »
    I'm not, because that would be pandering to a vocal minority asking for more representation or more this, that and the other, rather than actually finding a person who's right for the role.

I think it's possible to have both.

That's why I'm not going to be all arsey and shouting down the Beeb over it; they made a creative decision and that's their prerogative. It would be a different role if they changed the Doctor's gender or ethnicity, and they don't want to do that. Bof.
    Warning NSFW
    Contains some swear words, Malcolm Tucker is Doctor Who
    Mist wrote: »
    that would be pandering to a vocal minority asking for more representation or more this, that and the other, rather than actually finding a person who's right for the role.

There's no reason why a black or Asian woman couldn't be the right person for the role. But it should be a creative decision, not a decision reached in consultation with the sorts of right-on privilege-checking feminists that bore the hell out of everyone on twitter.

I can't help but feel that the BBC suits put a block on it far more than Moffat, though. Doctor Who is a cash-cow, especially with BBC Worldwide; whilst we're ready for a female Doctor, not sure the Yanks would be.
    I came across this story. I don't know the website though so it may be made up.
    Obvious but awesome:
    60215_10153165158225287_957481356_n.jpg

On the story Indrid quoted, I'd imagine Neil Gaiman is a reliable source. Who knows?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Idris Elba has been mentioned numerous times when discussing potential actors. He was mentioned for 11 too, if I remember correctly. So yes, it wouldn't surprise me if he was actually touted before. As it happens, I think he would be rather good.

But I am looking forward to Peter Capaldi.
    Idris Elba has been mentioned numerous times when discussing potential actors. He was mentioned for 11 too, if I remember correctly. So yes, it wouldn't surprise me if he was actually touted before. As it happens, I think he would be rather good.

:yes: I do, too, and if they're taking the Doctor in a more sombre direction I think he could play a very intimidating Doctor. I suppose I'm thinking of Luther; compassionate but not soft! It also wouldn't surprise me if he didn't want to take the role, it does somewhat come to define an actor and at the mid-point of a career he might feel vulnerable to that.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    :yes: I do, too, and if they're taking the Doctor in a more sombre direction I think he could play a very intimidating Doctor. I suppose I'm thinking of Luther; compassionate but not soft! It also wouldn't surprise me if he didn't want to take the role, it does somewhat come to define an actor and at the mid-point of a career he might feel vulnerable to that.

Yeah, that's why chris ecclestone didn't want to stay - he didn't want to be known as the doctor for the whole of his career. It's one of those roles of a lifetime but at the sme time pigeon- holes you, similar to James Bond. Saying that though, Peter Capaldi has made a name for himself already, it will be interesting to see what happens next. However for that reason, I'd be surprised if he stayed longer than one season.
    Peter Capaldi is probably in a different position in that he's already typecast as someone else- Malcolm Tucker. I can see him wanting to do a couple of seasons as the Doctor to try and move a little bit away from Tucker
    Peter Capaldi is probably in a different position in that he's already typecast as someone else- Malcolm Tucker. I can see him wanting to do a couple of seasons as the Doctor to try and move a little bit away from Tucker

He's also at a much later stage in his career - not a household name but almost no casting director would turn him down.