Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is closing askfm the answer?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Everything can be abused, I don't think that's grounds to ban something. What needs to be done instead is whoever abused it to be found and stopped.

I agree though finding that person responsible is pretty impossible. You can't be sure who is who with websites like this one in question. This wont be the last place to experience bullying and not everything written can be modded. How would you know if someone completely separate was bullying the person online or it be a situation where the bullying could have gone on for a while outside of a website with a person who knows the victim in real life? What i'm trying to say i think nobody's experience of cyber bulling is the same and i think there is a lot more to incidents like this one that we don't know about.
  • Options
    Yep it does exist :)
  • Options
    Attachment not found.
    That attachment is a screen grab of the ask.fm settings where you can change options in order to deny anonymous questions. Also shows the black list of users you have well, erm blacklisted. Two clicks from the main screen.
  • Options
    I dont think closing ask.fm is the answer. Regardless of anonymity every owner of a website has the ability to track the ISP address of where those messages were sent from. At a guess I would imagine Hannah knew of the people that sent the messages (people from the same school, etc) and I think those people should be expecting a visit from the police even as just a shock tactic. I can also guarantee the parents of the bullies had no idea what their children were up to online and the devastating outcome of their actions; which means should those parents not be held just as responsible for not monitoring their childrens use?
  • Options
    We do what we can with regards to tracking down the offenders e.t.c. In some cases, like with Ask.fm it's impossible. They're based in latvia and are under no obligation to provide us with any details. The ONLY chance we have with a company based in another country that doesn't have an office or business presence in the UK is to go through Interpol. That is never gonna happen with a case like this.
    I'm actually going to see someone tonight who has been on the receiving end, and the advice she'll get from me is the same I give everyone. Switch the fucking thing off. Ask.fm is the most pointless website around, why the fuck would anyone log on, ask a question and expect to get a decent answer from a "community" of brainless morons???

I hate to say it but from what i've read the girl in the original story "fed the trolls" so to speak, she insisted on replying and engaging with them, thus fanning the flames.
  • Options
    I suspect it was more than cyber bullying, but the advice online is the same advice at school: ignore them.

There are issues with online activity that makes realife bullying worse. In my day I left the bullying at the school gates, it didn't come home, but now it's more constant. But the same principle applies: turn it off.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    We do what we can with regards to tracking down the offenders e.t.c. In some cases, like with Ask.fm it's impossible. They're based in latvia and are under no obligation to provide us with any details. The ONLY chance we have with a company based in another country that doesn't have an office or business presence in the UK is to go through Interpol. That is never gonna happen with a case like this.
    You can block the website from being accessed from UK IP addresses. Now obviously anyone desperate to get on the website will be able to get around it pretty easily, but this isn't the Pirate Bay we're talking about. I can't imagine legions of people putting resources into circumventing a ban on this sort of website.
  • Options
    After watching ITN/ITV news I have another concern when it come to this story. They stated that abuse had continued (which I fully well believe it likely would), but then goes on to list the following as abuse: "How hard would it have been to shut the ask.fm account down, not very" which gets me wondering what the world if coming to when a national news channel are saying that is abuse, when its the very advice that might have saved Hannah Smith and others in the first place.
  • Options
    You can block the website from being accessed from UK IP addresses. Now obviously anyone desperate to get on the website will be able to get around it pretty easily, but this isn't the Pirate Bay we're talking about. I can't imagine legions of people putting resources into circumventing a ban on this sort of website.

Sorry, I didn't mean blocking the website, I meant tracing the offenders.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Interesting to see that BeatBullying have called for a boycott -
    http://www.beatbullying.org/static/cm/pdfs/2013_08_07.pdf
  • Options
    Boycott is different to banning it though. A boycott potentially encourages people to think. Banning it takes that thinking away.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't mean blocking the website, I meant tracing the offenders.

Well yes, but you get a court order asking for the information and threaten the website with blocking should they not give it. If you're not willing to cooperate with UK law enforcement, then you can't operate your website in the UK.
  • Options
    Boycott is different to banning it though. A boycott potentially encourages people to think. Banning it takes that thinking away.

:yes: And presumably it's the implications of traffic withdrawing that has led advertisers to pull out, which will hurt.
  • Options
  • Options
    Ask.fm have stated they are willing to help with information to track these bullying people down. I'm not saying this in any defence, but perhaps their quietness over the past week could be down to the fact that ALL of the UK media have been trying to get in touch in recent days.
  • Options
    If ask.fm is closed down, the trolls will just find somewhere else to troll.
  • Options
    I kinda want to give an answer to those people who are asking "But why didn't she just leave?"

Problem is, sometimes it's quite difficult. If that website is one of the only places you go online, it can be a bit scary to leave ALL that behind and have nothing. I experienced similar bullying as a teenager online. Took me a YEAR to finally have the courage to break away from the forum in question and the friends I'd made there and very hard not to give into the temptation to just 'have a peek'.
    Besides... sometimes you just want to find a way to befriend or 'win' over the trolls when you're young. Even if you know it doesn't work. And then you slip over into the 'well I must deserve this' frame of mind... :(

Just... my POV on why it's sometimes hard to 'just leave'.
  • Options
    Indeed it's not as simple as that. But I do think this is a conversation parents should be having with their kids. I know I got cussed out on the internet and never told my parents, and yes even though it was morons who literally only had the objective of upsetting random people on the internet, of course it got to me. I think even the most thick skinned individuals find it difficult to ignore abuse directed at them.

I wouldn't have wanted to be banned by mum from playing online games though - why should I get punished even more as well as people being mean. Online games now like League of Legends allow you to easily report people, and they incentivise service users through a 'tribunal' system to actually go and review every single reported case and take action. It works extremely well.

Obviously, that's not going to work for twitter - the whole point is that within two minutes I can set up an account and start tweeting @davidcameroon you're a #stupid #slut #gokillyourself. Their whole model is to be simple, easy, unrestricted, short, sweet, kissmequick, throwaway messages. It's not in twitter's interest to try to put more obstacles in the way.

I don't know enough about askfm but it seems to be a similar sort of problem, they want more users, they will never introduce any 'hampering' measures that reduce the amount of users they get.

Personally at work I actually deal with user-generated content and literally everything that goes on our site is moderated. Ultimately we are actually responsible for that. So if twitter or askfm is posting racist tweets, or even insults, twitter technically as a 'publisher' is potentially liable. I think email comes under the provision of mail law which kind of includes 'dont sue the messenger' clauses, but PMs / DMs I'm not sure if they do.

Technically the law on publishing offensive (or infringing) web content, is that as long as you remove it when notified you are in the clear. Is that bar too low? A newspaper would be fined no doubt if it had a racist joke in the 'submitted' section, yet a website owner won't as long as they remove it when you tell them.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Technically the law on publishing offensive (or infringing) web content, is that as long as you remove it when notified you are in the clear. Is that bar too low? A newspaper would be fined no doubt if it had a racist joke in the 'submitted' section, yet a website owner won't as long as they remove it when you tell them.
    Of course you can tell that the difference is that on a website the message is published immediately while in the newspaper someone has to see it and approve of it.
  • Options
    TheFangirl wrote: »
    I kinda want to give an answer to those people who are asking "But why didn't she just leave?"

Problem is, sometimes it's quite difficult. If that website is one of the only places you go online, it can be a bit scary to leave ALL that behind and have nothing. I experienced similar bullying as a teenager online. Took me a YEAR to finally have the courage to break away from the forum in question and the friends I'd made there and very hard not to give into the temptation to just 'have a peek'.
    Besides... sometimes you just want to find a way to befriend or 'win' over the trolls when you're young. Even if you know it doesn't work. And then you slip over into the 'well I must deserve this' frame of mind... :(

Just... my POV on why it's sometimes hard to 'just leave'.

True. But don't you have to take some responsibility for your own well being too? I help moderate a forum which has some 1 million users registered. There's one person there who is constantly bullied and expects the site time to deal with it. After months and months of this going on, we had a discussion and agreed that the only option was to give him a local ban meaning he couldn't access a certain of the forum where the bullying had taken place.

He complained about this and made the mods out to be bad people and we were punishing him. Except we weren't. We were trying to help him. When his ban was lifted, the same thing started again - he'd get bullied, reply to the bullies and moan at the mods for doing nothing. The mods are volunteers and most of us are either students or work full time.

We can't see every single post and partly rely on other users to report unwanted behaviour to us.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    True. But don't you have to take some responsibility for your own well being too? I help moderate a forum which has some 1 million users registered. There's one person there who is constantly bullied and expects the site time to deal with it. After months and months of this going on, we had a discussion and agreed that the only option was to give him a local ban meaning he couldn't access a certain of the forum where the bullying had taken place.

He complained about this and made the mods out to be bad people and we were punishing him. Except we weren't. We were trying to help him. When his ban was lifted, the same thing started again - he'd get bullied, reply to the bullies and moan at the mods for doing nothing. The mods are volunteers and most of us are either students or work full time.

We can't see every single post and partly rely on other users to report unwanted behaviour to us.

Oh I know that. Not saying the site's management/moderators should be 100% responsible for it. I'm a chatroom moderator, we've had to ban people who kept coming back for their own good (as well as for rules they broke). Hell, we even had someone make a second account just because they were that unwilling to leave.
    I was just giving a possible reason as to why it's sometimes hard to leave a site behind just like that. :)
  • Options
    In all fairness, children committing suicide because of bullies is hardly new. But it does seem to be increasing as technology and social media make is easier to contact people. It's just now bullies can hide behind the anonymity of the internet and the abuse can be more constant. One time, if you were going to be bullied it would typically be during school hours, and you'd go home and be free from it for a few hours, but now it can be 24/7. It's no good blaming the internet, bullies will always find a way to get to their victim if they want to. She probably thought that by rising to them and putting on a brave face she was doing the right thing, but more often than not it just adds fuel to the fire. Bullies (like internet trolls) thrive off a reaction. I'm 99% certain she knew her bullies and the chances are they were from school. I personally think working on kids self esteem and driving home the anti bullying message in more creative ways than standing in front of an assembly and telling them not to do it, (Workshops/team building etc with a focus on self esteem and anti bullying) might be more effective than simply banning a stupid website.
  • Options
    Is the government riding on the back of this to impose more privacy invasion/tracking of web activity?
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Is the government riding on the back of this to impose more privacy invasion/tracking of web activity?

Not a definitive answer on that, but the parents are calling for it.
  • Options
    Of course they are. That's why these stories are being publicised when a few years ago they wouldn't have been.

I know it isn't easy to leave a website where you have friends or all your friends are on. But there is always a certain responsibility to look after yourself because nobody else will. It's not blaming the girl to question why she didn't talk to anyone, I totally get why she didn't, but that isn't the fault of the website owner.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I haven't found a good link saying so yet (so take the following with a big pinch of salt) but some sites are reporting that askfm has declared that almost all of the abusive messages came from the same IP address as her own.
    Sites that report this are saying that this means she sent them to herself, although it could be anyone in the same network. That includes anyone in her house (or nearby, if there was an unsecured wifi network or one that got hacked) or possibly the school, if she was posting from there instead.
  • Options
    I heard that too. But I don't know if it's been confirmed or whether it's just a romour.
  • Options
    I'd say the school tbh. Which is what we all suspected- "cyber bullying" is just normal bullying but using a computer.

Just as most children are sexually abused by someone they know, so the bullied know their bullies.
  • Options
    I would post a link but its paywalled, but I can confirm there's a reasonable bit of detail about this in the Sunday Times today. I too thought that there was the possibility that it may have been occurring all in the school, but it all depends on how much information was held on the askfm logs. They could look very stupid indeed if it turns out they have wrongly been trying to deflect attention away.

Edit: Please see attached PDF for the story.Attachment not found.
  • Options
    Just as most children are sexually abused by someone they know, so the bullied know their bullies.

:yes: And it has so much more power coming from someone you know; think of the emotional turmoil of rumours that start online ending up at school,and the info that schoolfriends have to bully you with.