Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

NW by Zadie Smith

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Has anyone read this?? Did it get better beyond page 119 as i've got that far and still not got "into it"...if its good I'll persevere with it...if not i'll not waste anymore time on it!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was so disappointed by it. Didn't finish and not finishing a book is a rare thing for me to do.
    Me either...I hate not finishing a book but I just don't get the point of it...and the way its written makes no sense!
    I listened to her talk about it on the Guardian books podcast but I wasn't inspired to read it. I did enjoy On Beauty and White Teeth, though, have you read her others?
    I think I tried to read White Teeth when I was a lot younger but I didnt like it at the time...her writing style is quite unusual...
    Yeah it is. I found On Beauty easier, but I was older when I read On Beauty compared to White Teeth.

What else do you enjoy reading?
    I will read everything and anything...its unusual for me to pick up a book and not finish it...I have one called The Painted Bridge by Wendy Wallace waiting to be read so will start that one next :)
    There's no point forcing yourself through a book you're not enjoying. Put it away and then try again in a couple of years.
    grace wrote: »
    There's no point forcing yourself through a book you're not enjoying. Put it away and then try again in a couple of years.

:yes: Some books I've thought I hated have turned out to be awesome when I was in the right mindset. Took me five attempts to finish The Great Gatsby! (I didn't like it in the end but that's beside the point.)
    I've left it for now...i cant put this new one down though!
    I've left it for now...i cant put this new one down though!

I've heard really good things about it! Maybe one to share with book club in future?

The next theme is Magic, but there will be a space for it soon :)
    Most definitely..the further I get in to it the more it has become apparent just how differently mental illness was perceived and just how far we've come!