Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lecturing/PhD Interview

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have an interview a week today for a lecturing/PhD position at a college. I've never been to an academic interview before so I don't really know what to expect (they've put papers in the post today so I expect I'll know more when they arrive). Can anyone give me some tips and pointers because I'm kind of in the deep end here? It would be appreciated!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The letter just came to confirm it all and it says I need to be there at 9am and I should expect to be there all day but it doesn't give anything else away. I'm guessing this means group interviews and other things. I've never been to an all day interview before. Can anyone help?
    I would consider ringing up and asking if you need to prepare anything, the worst they can say is, "I'm not telling you" and you probably score keen points.

I would have thought finding a group on LinkedIn for academics in your field and asking. I've seen great advice for people going forward to Chartership on the IMechE group. Also, google the shit out of interview questions and techniques and get your friends to drill you into the ground.

Good luck.
    Yeah that's the plan on monday as I need to confirm etc anyway. I'm seriously freaking out, it's only associate lecturer as the other half of my time will be spent doing research for a PhD. They can see in my application that I don't have teaching experience so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about those questions other than say that I'm willing to have a go and learn the ropes. I'm guessing it isn't a huge issue as the advert didn't ask for teaching experience either. I would have thought they'd still ask me to prepare a presentation of some sort though. I'm also guessing part of the day will be made up of tours of the campus as it's also live on site. I'm in such a tizzy, I've really thrown myself in the deep end here.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I'm in such a tizzy, I've really thrown myself in the deep end here.

Tizzys can be over come, deep end ? well you've got an interview so i'm assuming you had to apply, C.V. and all that stuff and then they ask you to come for an interview so you MUST have something ?

AND you'll be Dr. Ballerina :thumb:
    Yeah I keep telling myself they must have some faith in me or they wouldn't be asking me to come. I've been interested in doing a PhD for a while but all the interesting ones are usually for self funding students. But this is really interesting and I get paid to teach and I get additional grants for research. I can't really pass this opportunity. And being Dr. Ballerina will be awesome, I can't wait for the day I get to say that :D
    Yeah I keep telling myself they must have some faith in me or they wouldn't be asking me to come.

Exactly. These aren't your average employer, they're smart peope who want (as you'll be teaching) the best for their students. You're a smart young woman and this could be the thing that opens up a world of opportunity for you. I dropped out of my A-Levels and didn't end up going to uni. I'd be doing a job i'd of loved and maybe curing the worlds ills (i was going into biochemistry/pharmacology) if i'd stuck to it, where as im now just some sad fat twat on benefits.

Don't pass this opportunity and regret it later like i have :)

BTW what's your PhD in ?
    Aw thank you :) I'm having a major panic about it all as I'm also coming to the end of my research project for my MSc and I'm feeling rather overwhelmed with it all and feeling like I just want to go hide in a quiet corner of the world for a few weeks. I've had literally no down time at all and if I get this I'll be going more or less straight into it. I'm not overly confident in my chances though, chances are someone else will be going for it that has more experience than me, but I'll have a go.
    Argh the interviews tomorrow and they still haven't given me any clues. I'm convinced I'll get there and they'll turn around and ask me why I haven't prepared a presentation or anything. Fuckshitwankarrrgh
    Argh the interviews tomorrow and they still haven't given me any clues. I'm convinced I'll get there and they'll turn around and ask me why I haven't prepared a presentation or anything. Fuckshitwankarrrgh

Have you tried ringing up? I'm sure if they haven't sent you a request for a presentation they don't need one but it's always worth checking.

Good luck!
    My academic interview was only half an academic interview, it was semi for a support role. I did have to do a presentation for them, so perhaps it wouldn't hurt you to prepare something (even including a handout?) that is related to the role or the PhD. Main thing in my interview was the questions. Take your time to answer and don't rush.
    If they haven't sent you a letter advising you that you should prepare a presentation then you probably will not be expected to have pre-prepared one. They may well ask you to prepare one on the day with an unknown topic, but I couldn't say for certain.

It wouldn't harm you to prepare an outline of one related to the subject area you will be lecturing in. But the main thing will be your interview, breathe in and out and take your time to consider your reply. Don't feel you have to fill any dead air that you get.

How intensive the interview will be will undoubtedly depend on which university you are applying to teach at. A big part of your research and preparation should be on how that institution operates: what are the strategic goals for the organisation, for the faculty, for the department. What changes are forthcoming, what changes will teaching staff be expected to deliver? Pay attention to how you can work within the institution to, as an example, increase the number of ABB students they attract (they are the cash cows). As an example, my institution's strategic goal is to increase research quality and output across the board, in order to increase RAE scores and therefore secure new income streams in addition to tuition fees. This is what Exeter expect from their associate fellows.
    Finally got it out of them after a few phone calls. Morning is mostly them doing the talking/presentations/showing us around and then afternoon is interviews. So if they're doing all the interviews in the afternoon sounds like there's only a handfull of us. No presentation needed. Just doing some last min prep tonight. I'm on the campus now and it looks awesome, but I'm still not 100% sure if I want to spend 3 years living on site. But I'm guessing I'll find out more about that tomorrow
    Good luck and let us know how you get on :)
    Good luck :)
    It went well, however looking at the competition I don't think I stand a chance. There was someone who already had teaching experience, a vet, someone who works for the RSPCA and 2 ex students. So yeah, everyone had experience except me. My only hope is they want someone who they can mould with training (they train you up) and with no other job to leave as I was the only one not in work. But yeah, doesn't look good. Find out early next week but I'm not getting my hopes up
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    It went well, however looking at the competition I don't think I stand a chance. There was someone who already had teaching experience, a vet, someone who works for the RSPCA and 2 ex students. So yeah, everyone had experience except me. My only hope is they want someone who they can mould with training (they train you up) and with no other job to leave as I was the only one not in work. But yeah, doesn't look good. Find out early next week but I'm not getting my hopes up

They knew about your lack of experience before the interview so that can't be a huge issue if you stormed the interview. But even if you don't get the position, think of it as experience because if you apply for other jobs in this field then you will know what to expect. :)
    They knew about your lack of experience before the interview so that can't be a huge issue if you stormed the interview. But even if you don't get the position, think of it as experience because if you apply for other jobs in this field then you will know what to expect. :)

Yeah the ad never asked for experience, they just wanted a masters in the area (which I'm about to finish) and willingness to teach and live on site. I was probably one of the more willing ones as I know 1 girl was getting married in 3 months so didn't want to live apart from her husband (they don't let partners live with you) and another one had a long term partner so she was a bit iffy. My relationship is long distance anyway so it doesn't really make a difference to me. We'll see, but I'm not hopeful.
    You'll know you gave it your best shot, and you've got some experience out of it as a fare minimum.
    Yeah, to be honest I'm not entirely sure I'm ready for all the responsibility of it anyway. One minute I want it, the next I'm not so sure. Still no word yet
    Didn't get it anyway. Didn't think I would after who I was up against. More annoyed about the fact that they won't give me feedback after I went to all that trouble
    That's frustrating.

Were there any individuals involved in the process you could maybe ask directly rather than going through the recruitment people? They might be more amenable.
    Bollocks !
    You can put in a Subject Access Request to get ask the written info they have on you in the process. Proper shitty to refuse feedback though.
    Yeah not getting it hasn't bothered me, it's them refusing feedback that's annoyed me. It's not like I didn't go through loads of trouble and spend loads of money anyway :rolleyes:. At least give us something out of it