Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bullying

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi Everyone

I recently started a new job as an Administrator and it was going great. I have been in the job since 10 June and am currently serving a 6 months probation. So far there has been a few minor problems but nothing overly concerning.

I have now reached the point where I am feeling bullied in my job.

I recently requested holidays which my boss also had booked off so understandably I just chose another date in which to take off. My workplace state they allow flexible working practices (start between 8am and 10am). However, due to my role I am not allowed to use such practices and must work 9am till 5PM.

Human Resources stated I could have my lunch at anytime I like, they are flexible and allow you to decide, recently I have been working over my lunch so that I can finish an hour early, this led to a confrontation with my boss who said it was a 9 till 5 job and that I couldn't do that, I then asked for advice from Human resources who then took this advice to my boss and once I returned from my lunch break pulled me into a meeting room and stated that I was not right for the job (human resources said this).

I have began questioning tasks this is to gain a sense of responsibility of the task and to see if it is the most effective and streamlined method. I have a lot of tasks and my main concern is time.

Recently marketing has been trying to pass tasks off on me which I have challenged as there is only me in Training department (with my boss, who does nothing). Marketing however have several members of staff and could easily share the tasks within their team.. It was stated in this meeting with HR that my boss didn't feel they could delegate tasks because I challenge tasks. Until now I have been open minded and accepting of tasks and do not see this being an overall reflection of my performance.

So returning to my problem, my boss does very little work, takes longer lunch hours, leaves early and states I must be there 9 till 5 with no flexibility, do other departments work when requested (without question) and I cannot approach HR because I don't feel I can trust them after they were extremely bias in that meeting, as I am on probation I don't want to do anything to aggravate the situation but I know I'm slightly out of my depth and need support.

Sorry if I rambled and thank you for any support and opinions I receive :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mate, you've been there less than 2 months and you're already questioning your hours and jobs you're being given?

Unless your contract specifically states you can have flexi time, then it's up to your immediate line manager as to wether or not you have it, same goes for lunch breaks and work you have to do.
    If I were you, until you're out your probation, your only responses to a request are "how soon do you need it?" and/or "no problem, let me just finish this and I'll get on it".
    Yea you can't compare yourself to other workers or your boss, everyone has their own role and own responsibilities. If you're 9-5 you just have to like it or lump it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    The boss is the boss, it sounds wrong as to what they are doing, but they are the boss. As for the flexitime working, if you are told you have to work set hours, then you will have to work set hours. It's nice that they have offered the chance for you to take your lunch break whenever you want, but if you are told to work till 5pm then that is what you will have to do. If your are doing an administrators task and you finish at 4pm, then no "administration" can be done between 4 and 5pm. Obviously you are taking a lunch break, but there is the potential that it will vary due to work demands. As others have said, you have not been there long and I would advise against questioning everything. If you feel the need to question things, then try to do it in a constructive and helpful manner.
    Unless it's changed, (which I doubt) you can't take a lunch break at the end of a shift.

There is no law stating that you can have flexi working time. You can request it; but it doesn't have to be given.
    Thanks for the feedback.

I have been giving these responses more and more lately in order to seem approachable, productive and more reflective to the feedback received by my manager.

Yes I have been in the job two months but if you read the context as to why I question things it is not to undermine the task or my manager it is to streamline and find the best and most productive method whilst understanding my responsibility.

I could be completely selfish and go "that's not what was in my job description" but it is rare to find a job that sticks to the job advert/description especially in Administration.

You guys have offered some helpful advice but alas it is nothing I don't already know. I'll plod on for now who knows I could even find another job but once you have been in one office environment, you have been in them all :)

Thanks for your advice.
    The trouble is its not the intent behind the way you act, but how you are perceived by others. I'm not saying you're in the wrong, but you just have to be careful at how others will perceive things. As you have only been working there a short while, in some cases there may be bigger picture things that you don't know about, and may not be told about. As for bullying [as per your title], if there is a serious concern then raise it, however if its people who are in charge of you telling you to do your job, that could be an entirely different matter.