Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Are you going to watch Failed by the NHS tonight? bbc three at 9pm

*BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey guys.

I thought I would start a thread about this program. I didn't know it was on until I saw a tweet about it earlier today, I thought it would be interesting to watch. If you watching would love to hear your views on it.

Look forward to seeing some responses :)
" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
" So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
'' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ahh forgot about this! Will try
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    :) It should be good to watch, and I think it will be very interesting.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    insert Tory propaganda here

The BBC really are complete and utter CUNTS.
    On the day where my local a&e begins being closed overnight

What? Have you even any idea what the programme is actually about?

To be fair, it's specifically about adolescent mental health, which is an area in which we know the NHS isn't doing its best. Doesn't seem like Tory-outsourcing-propaganda from the promos I've seen.
    What? Have you even any idea what the programme is actually about?

It is about people being treated badly by NHS mental health trusts.

It isn't about people being treated badly by NHS mental health trusts because of the lying thieving Conservatives.

Just another NHS kicking exercise. Legitimate target this time, perhaps, but convenient timing nonetheless. And coming so soon after "I'm a benefit scrounger and I like it", excuse my cynicism.
    It is about people being treated badly by NHS mental health trusts.

It isn't about people being treated badly by NHS mental health trusts because of the lying thieving Conservatives.

Just another NHS kicking exercise. Legitimate target this time, perhaps, but convenient timing nonetheless. And coming so soon after "I'm a benefit scrounger and I like it", excuse my cynicism.

you say that but in the main you've been lucky to get the help you've needed in a timely and appropriate way. for people who have been done over by the system the programme was a genuine representation of reality. I didn't see a political agenda there and the doctor they spoke to made it clear that it's an issue of funding, rather than the standard of the services themselves.
    This is nothing new. I was turned away when I went to my GP and asked for help 8 years ago because I was too old for child services but too young for adult services and they were already full to the brim with 'more serious cases'. And that because I hadn't seriously injured myself or made threats to end my life that they wouldn't take me seriously. I.e You have to reach crisis point before they'll listen. I can only imagine it's even more now with the cuts.
    omg hi wrote: »
    for people who have been done over by the system the programme was a genuine representation of reality. I didn't see a political agenda there

For many people, it is a genuine representation of mental health services in the NHS. I was fortunate that this was not my experience, but I know too many people who have had this experience to even slightly doubt it. That wasn't my point.

My point is more that it is extremely convenient timing that the BBC do this documentary at the same time that they're pandering to the Tory party line about the privatisation of the NHS. The likes of Jeremy Hunt are talking about the NHS as not being fit for purpose in order to justify selling the lot off to Serco. I think the timing of this programme is deliberate to add to this noise, to justify the Tory party argument that the whole of the NHS is shit and needs to be flogged to the private sector.

As I say, coming so soon after other BBC3 documentaries that also toe the Tory party line (especially on welfare claimants being "scroungers"), and on the day that the BBC have been proven to have lied in a 2011 documentary on welfare benefits, I'm going to be extremely cynical about their motives.

I think they're using the pain and suffering of these young people for political gain, to sell off the NHS rather than fix it. THAT is what makes me so angry.
    I understand what your point was. what I mean is that the programme was just telling the truth, pure and simple. the man who made the documentary isn't an employee of the bbc. within the wider context of the bbc3 MH season, where many NHS services have been portrayed as very good (eg, the staff in the psychiatric unit documentary were shown as highly effective and the good outcomes of the service were highlighted) it was meant to show the situation for the people who don't get to access those services or who have had a bad experience. to have a season of programmes where all treatment was shown as brilliant would be unrealistic and possibly damaging to the audience because it would give people false hope about the help they may be able to get.

it was the actual title of the programme that was the most anti-NHS part. the content made it clear that it is funding and the allocation of resources that is the problem, not the staff or the services themselves. of course we need to protect our NHS from privatisation, but that shouldn't mean that people have to keep quiet about the poor service that they have received.