Home Politics & Debate
We've started our first discussion for our Christmas campaign which is focusing on religion or cultural beliefs that help you when you're feeling down. Some of the responses will be used anonymously on social media as a video. If you'd like to take part, head over to this thread.

Giving to "Homeless" People

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you?

I live in London and can sometimes be approached 4 times in a day for people asking for money for a "hostel".... Sone can be really pushy and quite aggressive and sometimes, you see the same person with the same story and them drinking beer with other beggars later...

I tend to keep a seperate purse or pocket for change and set a little aside now..
I can't always know if people are genuine, but know there are issues with some hostels charging...

But I have to say I get desensitised now and sometimes pretend to have no change, especially if the person is intoxicated and I feel unconfortable...

I have noticed an increase in beggars (also, people drinking on the street, not that I am insinuating they are linked) and have been told by people who work with homeless that the majority have drugs problems... But some will be genuine too...

I was wondering what people feel about giving money to homeless people?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think we had a thread on this recently about homeless charities actually telling people not to give money to people on the street. I sometimes give food but I never give money, especially to the ones that hang around where they know they can corner you (usually coming out of car park stairways) and ask for 50p for a bus fare/so they can ring their grandma or the hostel story. I always say no. If they're genuinely homeless they'll be grateful for food/warm drinks and such. They only time I give money is to buskers or the odd charity collector. There was a blind guy (he actually was blind because I could see his eyes) with his guide dog collecting money a few weeks back and I gave them some loose change. But apart from that I don't.
    I just ignore them.
    Some of them DO corner you..
    A man seemed a bit flustered yesterday when he tried to stop me and my mate and I said "oh I remember you from yesterday".

I remember seeing another woman pushing a wheelchair up the street in Kings Cross. When I came back, she was sat in it pretending to shake to look like a better beggar.

Which charities are saying not to give?
    There was a sign up in what was a shopping centre in Plymouth telling us not to give to people on the streets, and instead give to homeless charities.

There was a story earlier this year about someone pretending to be homeless and he was begging on the streets. It turns out he was quite rich and not homeless. I know he's in the minority; but it does put me off giving to beggars.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,240 Skive's The Limit
    I give money fags or beer.

So what if they spend the money on drink or drugs. That's only what I'm going to spend it anyway.
    Weekender Offender 
    Anyone who has to resort to begging is obviously in a dire situation. I help out people when it's needed. Obviously there are charlatans and I tend to not give money to people asking for 'bus money' but properly homeless I give them money, drink whatever!
    The problem is deciding between those who have to resort to begging and those who do it as a money spinner. In London there are plenty of people in both camps. I don't give to beggars in the tourist areas- they're usually charlatans- and I don't give to anyone who begs sitting next to a cash machine or a supermarket door. They're either charlatans or tossers. Worst are those who panhandle their way down the tube carriage; they can just fuck off.

I guess I generally give money to genuine charities. This is to avoid the charlatans and the liars. I couldn't give a toss if people will spend their gains on booze and tabs but I do give a toss about giving to tossers and thieves.