Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Had to rant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ever since I fractured my tibia back in school, I have been having reoccurring venous leg ulcer. It all started when I slipped on black ice. I was put in a pot for 8 weeks I also have a brown staining on my ankle on the leg I broke. After I started working where I am now I started to get varicose veins in the leg which I broke, then the spread to my other leg. I then got an ulcer on that leg, then I started to get them on my other one. I've been getting them ever since then and I have one now.

When I got an ulcer my manager weren't so easy to get on with. They didn't understand that I couldn't work there, let alone stand up all day on my feet. But they are now much easier to deal with and much kinder. Three weeks ago on one day, I was doing a job where I was standing up but moving around on my feet, this was ok but I still had pain in my ankle. The pain was like pins and needles and sharp pains like a knife being jammed in me. After a 2-3 hours I'd had enough. I walked to the my manager's office and I said “ I can't do this any longer” and I burst in to tears. I calmed down, and went home and got a sick note for 4 weeks. After the note had run out, I went back to work. After 2 weeks, I asked if I could work part-time working mornings and time sharing with someone who works afternoons. They happily agreed. (My health comes before the job!!!)
I'm now on part-time. I have NO idea when I'll be fit enough to go back on to full-time. I'm getting my ulcer dressed every week at a hospital. There doesn't seem to be much improvement, but it is better than the first time I went. I have an appointment on August 1st to test my veins. But I have a very good feeling that the results will come back ok, like they always do.
I wish I could do something more and make them disappear altogether. Because I'll have them, and keep on getting them for the rest of my life until I die! I hate my life altogether because of this. I just don't know what to do with myself.
I'm tired of getting ulcers now and I don't know what to do about them.
'People at work ask me how I am, but I don't think they realise what they are and how painful they are'

I really need to find a new job because standing on my feet all day doesn't do anything for my health. What I really want to do is to get involved in photography. Its the only thing I'm good at , as well as fly tying. I've tried selling coffee coasters with my fishing flies in them but had no success. I would love to get involved in portrait photography. But I don't have any experience in the subject. I'm in process of writing out a 'cover letter' for potential photographer's near me. It is a difficult subject to get in to but I have to try don't I ?! If there's a will, there's a way.
I'm now scared that If I receive an interview/meetings with a photographer, that they'll reject me when I say that I won't be able to work because I get ulcers and I can't be on my feet all day. (Unless I do photo retouching). I guess I have to work round it when it comes around the corner.

I also want to get out of the place I'm working at the moment because I've had to much shit to deal with and there's foreigners working there. I hate that place and I hate working with a load of foreigners who are taking the place over. Don't get me wrong, some of them alright.

Whenever I get an ulcer there's one person (not a foreigner) says stuff towards me. This time he said that now I'm working part time that I should sign up disabled. I ignored him but I was quite upset about what he said. I let it slide and didn't tell my manager.
I've had my fair share of shit at that place and its not doing me any good, both mentally and physically.

There's also one more thing. I hate being single. Yes, I've posted messages about it. But I'm being serious now. I hate being single, I want to know what it means to love someone, to hear their voice at the end of the day, to be there for them when something goes wrong. I hate it. I'm a shy guy, always have been and it won't change. I don't go out drinking and I don't go out with any mates. I've met one lass years ago in Newcastle for around 4 hours. I was getting to know a good looking lass closer to home and I was suppose to meet her but we never met. I was going to meet a different lass but she never showed up.......I was with my parents in Scotland and a few lasses where walking in the other direction and when they walked past one of them whistled at me. Some weeks ago, I messaged two lasses on the internet but their messages dried up. Last week, I started to get to know a lass who sent me a load of messages then stopped. Still haven't got back to me. I'm at a dead end and don't know what to do with my life basically. Now and again I've considered driving over a cliff. But have no fear, I won't do it.

I'm 29years old and its about time I found someone by now. Most mates I have either have girlfriends/boyfriends and have kids. And I'm stuck with NO ONE. IT STINKS.
Surely there must be someone out there who likes me for who I am. If not, what's the point of living?

Also I used to be slim. But I eat a load of shit (chocolate biscuits when I go to bed.) I've cut down dramatically on chocolates from work (I work in a chocolate factory). I used to go cycling and I haven't cycled in a good 4 years. I used to go walking every weekend. I've even walked up Ingleborough a few times when I was younger, but since starting working and owning a car, I don't do any of these things much any more. I need to lose some of this belly.

Had to rant and let off some steam

Comments

• Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey FishyFrags,
    First of all, ranting is absolutely okay - a good rant can be really therapeutic :) Do you feel a little better for getting that all out?

Your ulcer problem sounds nasty. It must be frustrating that nobody seems to take it very seriously. Is there no one at work who you can talk to about that insensitive co-worker? If it’s a regular problem, would it be a good idea to talk to your manager? Your description sounds bad enough without having to deal with someone like that.

Still, there seem to be some positives in there. You said your ulcer is a little better, even if not a massive improvement. You’re interested in photography, which is cool. Do you have a camera? What kinds of things would be good to send to potential employers apart from a cover letter? Do you have a portfolio?

I can understand that being single can sometimes be horrible, especially if all your mates aren’t. It seems that you’re putting yourself out there though. Do you have any idea why the meet ups or messages never seem to come to anything? I wonder if your self esteem has a part to play. Perhaps focusing on getting a bit more active again would boost your confidence and give you things to look forward to.

Keep us posted, and if you need another rant at any point, fire away!
    -JPick
  • Options
    Keep Smiling :)

Hey hun,
    I'm sorry to hear about your health problems; it can be very frustrating when people don't understand. I had severe problems with my knee, following two sprains, snapped ligaments, torn muscle and a ruptured tendon all in the same leg within a year: this has led to frequent inflammation of the sciatic nerve (sciatica). The job I have just left was in retail where I was stood up all day and some days I was on the verge of tears I was in so much pain, but not wanting to appear weak I said nothing.

Like you, I eventually turned round to the manager and said I couldn't cope with it anymore. I left for other reasons but have been offered a new job there where I can sit down most of the time. I'm fit and active in other aspects of my life, but it's nice to know that if I'm having a bad day I can stay relatively immobile.

If you want to get into photography, get into photography! Learn online, or with books, speak to other people for advice. Get a decent camera, have a play about. Or maybe think about writing/journalism; that could accompany the photography element.

Hope things improve for you.
    If you want to chat, inbox me :)
    FrogsandRainbows.X
  • Options
    Yes I feel a bit better letting it all out. :)

Yes I have a camera JPick. Its an Canon 450D SLR. I bought an ND (Neutral Density) filter this year and I hardly use it because I need practice taking photos with it. Here is my best photo which I took in Scotland 2 years ago. I've also bought some other filters but haven't used them much. But all these filters are for landscape photography.

My Flickr

I'm leaving the 'insensitive co-worker' But if he threatens me again, I'll report him and ask them to go further with it (suspension etc). I wish he would leave. No one likes him.

I've been single all my life and just haven't been able to talk to girls. There's a lass I really like at work, she knows I like her. The last time I asked if she's single she told me that she had a boyfriend. Earlier this year a different lass said that she was single. And I haven't done anything about it because I have no confidence. I have low self esteem and with me getting ulcers all the time. I keep thinking that no one will want to go out with me because I'll get them for the rest of my life.

I'm getting to know a lass over the internet, she's younger than me and doesn't live too far. She's a nice lass who likes the same interests/hobbies as me and I'm hoping that it leads to meeting each other.

FrogsandRainbows
    Hi:wave:
    In October last year I began to get a little pain in my left leg. I went to the doctors and he said that I had sciatica. I was meant to go to physio in November. At the beginning of November I went to Scotland. Thinking that the sciatica would go away my parents and I went for a walk every day. The pain gradually got worse towards the end of the week where I couldn't walk up hill, even a slight gradient on flat land meant that I was in pain. I went back to work on the Monday after. I drove to work, got out of the car and I had a lot of pain in my thigh. I slowly walked to work, walked up some stairs slowly. I walked down some stairs to view a list to see what job I was doing that day. I thought "F*ck that!" and I walked back up the stairs and thought to myself that I shouldn't have walked down them. I was in a lot of pain. I went to my managers office and I leaned in to his office and said "I'll have to go home." I was nearly crying then! I went home (my mum said you didn't try hard enough blah blah blah!). I phoned for an appointment to get a sick note. The following day. I woke up, tried to get up and I couldn't move. I was in so much pain that you couldn't imagine. I tried to get up THREE times. The waterworks came on and I cried a lot. That was the day that I had physio. My dad took me. Jesus christ. Walking to that building was painful. I saw the therapist and he basically told me that if he gave me some exercises I wouldn't like him any more!!! lol. I was then referred to physio at my local hospital.
    All is well now. I get the odd twinge now and again, but nothing to worry about.
    I never want to experience that ever again!
    I probably got sciatica from all the bending down I do at work.

I am actually sitting down on a chair when I can and if they put me on a job where I can sit down. It helps a little. But the pain goes away if my leg is above or level with my heart. Laying down on my bed helps.
  • Options
    Bless ya

Not fun is it?:/ If you ever want to talk things through I'll listen :)

FrogsandRainbows.X
  • Options
    Hey

I just wanted to say that your pictures are stunning - you have a real eye :thumb: I particularly like the abstract ones and the water shots. Have you ever been to the Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition? It's amazing and anyone can enter - you should check it out (I think it's too late for this year but you could get an idea for next year).

Learning how to interact naturally with people we fancy can take years to master - it sounds like you're doing all the right things, one idea is to try to treat girls you just like you would anyone else. Our 'dealing with dates' section on TheSite has some really useful articles with tips on asking someone out, having the first conversation and lots more.

Let us know how things go for you
    Spanner
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    I’ve got to say FishyFrags that I totally agree with spanner – that’s an impressive flickr! How did you manage to get such good shots of all those animals? Deer, a otters, rats and rabbits! You must be able to move without touching the ground or something.

I’m going to have to agree with spanner again here about talking to people we like. It’s something that a lot of people find tough. Do you think there’s anything you can do to increase your confidence a bit? Is there something that’s helped in the past for example?
  • Options
    Spanner.
    Thank you for the links. I've bookmarked them and I'll look through them as soon as I can.
    Thank you for the compliment.

JPick
    Thank you again. The snail was taken extremely close, I got down onto my hands and knees and took the shots.

The Mallard duck was sat on a fence, didn't move when I walked nearer to it, so I was able to take some 'up-close-and-personal' shots of the animal.

The otter was taken from around 250yards away from about 35-40feet high. It was by chance that I saw the otter. (My dad took some better ones this year and I was still in bed, which I regret!!)

The rat, well, we think a family is living in our garden, we see them every day (trying to get rid of them with poison but isn't working)

The first deer was around 500 yards away, the second about 50 feet away.

All animals were taken with a long (300mm) lens.

For a few days in May this year I spotted an Osprey very close by where we were staying, I took a few shots of the bird of prey, but they all turned out to be a dark dot on the screen, so had to delete them all.
    If anyone is on Facebook, look for Marsue-Wildlife, they have some excellent shots of birds (that were taken when very expensive photography gear)

I really want to go out with this girl at work, we exchange smiles at each other which I like, and I always think to myself "I wish I was going out with you". I don't have any confidence in asking her out again when I have an ulcer.