Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

confidence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey,
i use to volunteer at a charity shop which i enjoyed, it was a huge achievement as i have learning difficulties. my new found confidence soon shattered when they let me go despite knowing i was grieving over my grandfather i was devastated and don't think i've ever got over it i feel like i have failed. how do you deal with the workplace what motivates you? would be so grateful for your replies x

Comments

• Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey Bird,

I used to lack confidence quite a bit, but I involved myself in the NCS and alternative volunteering things, it really gave me a confidence boost, it sounds like volunteering at a store did the same for you. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather, would you consider doing a bit of additional volunteering as it sounds like it has worked for you in the past?

Everyone deals with a workplace differently and every work place is difficult, but maybe it's about finding how you specifically would cope. I used to ask lodes of questions on my first days, so I know what's happening, etc, and it makes me feel more settled, I also used to have this squidgy flour ball, that I would play with if I felt my anxiety was becoming to much for me and it really did help me :)

Best of luck,
    Angel
  • Options
    thanks for the reply :) i def want to start volunteering again as i want to gain more experience and maybe getting something small to focus on when things get too much will rest my mind :)
  • Options
    I think you should look for more volunteer work in another charity shop, a lot of them are desperate for volunteers and I think the more volunteer work you do the more confident you will get :)

I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are a teenager/young adult have you thought about joining a youth club in your local area? There are some really good ones around, and meeting new people and socializing would definitely boost your confidence as well.
  • Options
    Hiya
    Just wanted to reiterate what the others have said and encourage you to give it another go. The staff at the shop you worked at didn't deal with your situation very sensitively, and it's bound to knock your confidence, but try to remember that not all places will be like that - it sounds like you have a lot to offer :)

If you haven't heard of it already, we have a sister site all about volunteering, called Do-it - you can search for opportunities in your area and it might even give you some new ideas. You could also contact you local Volunteer Centre and go along and have a chat to them - they could probably help to find you something that would work with your learning difficulties.

Best of luck - keep posting to tell us how things progress!
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your replies! All of which have been helpfull :-)
    I am hoping to get out there before long and volunteer. I did enjoy the experiance with working with the general public. For now i have been asked to deisgn posters for events hopefully this will be the start :-)
  • Options
    Had a few difficulties posting massages