Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The laws on parking on the pvement?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
According to a friend of mine, it's different if you live in London. I live in Plymouth.

Went out for a run last night. Whatever route I do, I am required to run on the pavement.

Someone (a relative of mine) had parked on the pavement. He'd left just enough room for me (I am by no means fat) to squeeze past. There was plenty of room for him to park fully on the road and not block anyone. Given that he has young children of his own, I would have expected him to use his brain a bit and not to park on the pavement, unless he wants his children to have to walk in the road. Clearly, I'm wrong.

I've noticed a lot of people do this. As someone who is hearing and sight impaired, (I am not deaf; but most sounds come out as muffled and my hearing is sensitive) I am not willing to risk it by walking on the road. I can't see far enough in either direction to see which way cars are coming.

Whilst running out before with a different friend, we came across cars on the pavement and he said that's why we have cracks in the pavement. The cracks can cause problems for me and are the reason why I tend to fall.

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    There is a ban on pavement parking London unless signs prevent it (sometimes it's a necessity). Outside of Lodnon it's up to local councils, and generally isn't illegal.

Parking on the pavement is sometimes a necessity to prevent road hazards. Often people loading will need to pull onto the pavement and there are plenty of streets in the uk where there is no provision at all for on-street parking.
    Obviously it should be avoided if possible, pavements are there for pedestrians, but sometimes it is the lesser of two evils.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Thanks. According to the Devon and Cornwall police website, (council told me to contact them) an obstruction can be caused if you park on the pavement. An obstruction was caused and I was forced to squeeze through the tiny gap that was left. Apparently, that gap is big enough for a double buggy. :rolleyes:

I have been told to call 101 the next time this happens. Apparently, because his neighbours parks on the pavement, it's ok for him to do it, regardless of how much room he leaves. And there's a perfectly good parking space around the back of his house.
  • Options
    Highway code:
    https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parking/parking-239-to-247

You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs.
    Law GL(GP)A sect 15

However it is not uncommon in certain areas to have the entire street park on the pavement because there is no other parking provision, especially in old towns that were originally built without the concept of everyone owning a car. I would say if its someone who lives near you you could contact the council who will have a roads department who can clarify and/or remind people of the policy. I would say if its somewhere on a run away from your house - pick your battles. You can always run a different route.
  • Options
    He does live near me. I contacted the council asking for clarification and they said to call 101. There is other parking provision about 2 minutes away.

I did look at the highway code. But as I understand, it's not actually law or something?
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I did look at the highway code. But as I understand, it's not actually law or something?

Correct. As the previous poster said, the ban is effective in London and not most other places.
  • Options
    In London the kerbs are higher too, so even if you tried you'd bugger your suspension.

I normally got through gaps with my pram. Such a shame the pram was damaged and had a sharp edge on it that could scrape down cars. Oops.
  • Options
    I was always under the impression that if you could avoid it then don't, but if you must then just use a bit of common sense and leave a big enough gap for wheelchairs/buggies etc to get through. I also live in Plymouth and street parking can get a bit scarce, you often need a permit too but I've never seen anyone park on the pavements.
  • Options
    Where I live in Plymouth, it's awful. And one of the pavements is really narrow, meaning there's virtually no room for people to walk on the pavement in the first place. That doesn't stop people at all. And it's all on double yellow lines.

Unless I want to get a bus or two somewhere, there's really nowhere else for me to run.
  • Options
    In London the kerbs are higher too, so even if you tried you'd bugger your suspension.

I normally got through gaps with my pram. Such a shame the pram was damaged and had a sharp edge on it that could scrape down cars. Oops.

Not sure parking on the pavement warrants criminal damage.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Criminal damage? Nah, just an accident trying to squeeze past innit.

I've never got the argument that parking on the pavement is necessary on narrow roads. If you can't park safely on the roadway then you should be parking somewhere else.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Not sure parking on the pavement warrants criminal damage.

What's the other option then? I am not willing to walk on a main road and put my own safety at risk.
  • Options
    If it's all on double-yellows like you say then you should get on to the parking enforcement people, as parking with the car half on the pavement does not excuse parking on a double-yellow.

Otherwise you probably have to lump it and squeeze past. There's no magic solution, and people aren't suddenly going to stop parking in places where there's no actual parking restriction.
  • Options
    How does one squeeze past when there's no room to actually do that?
  • Options
    With a great deal of force. Wingmirrors bend.
  • Options
    It's worth noting that being an asshole in response to someone else being an asshole doesn't make you morally superior, it makes you the same as them.

Just get past. There's no need to force mirrors out of the way, or "accidentally" scratch cars. In the Fairly Unusual case that someone has actually parked such as it prevents reasonable passing, then that's really a bit of tough luck. I can't imagine that it happens every day, everywhere. Most drivers are considerate of allowing space when possible. If, in those cases, sight issues prevent you from seeing down the road to pass the car, then I expect you'd need to wait for a passer-by to assist you, or, if you don't want to ask for such help, wait for a passer-by going the same direction as you and then follow them onto the road to pass.
  • Options
    It's an offence to obstruct the pavement, not to park on it outside of London. A fact I have to argue with miserable dickheads every 5 minutes.

The rule of thumb is, if someone can get past in a wheelchair, then it isn't an obstruction.
    melian wrote:
    What's the other option then? I am not willing to walk on a main road and put my own safety at risk.

You're willing to be arrested for it though? Or pay several hundred pounds in costs when you're sued for damage? This holier than thou talk of they should park somewhere else is bollocks, it's sheer-bloody mindedness. If there is enough space to walk past a car and then you have to force the wingmirror back causing damage then I'd argue you're doing it on purpose to prove some kind of misguided point.
  • Options
    If there's room to get past then I go on my merry way, merely repenting the fact my council tax bill goes up to pay for the repairs to the pavement.

I personally think there should be an outright ban on it. If the road is so narrow you have to go on the pavement then go park somewhere safer.
  • Options
    If there's room to get past then I go on my merry way, merely repenting the fact my council tax bill goes up to pay for the repairs to the pavement.

I personally think there should be an outright ban on it. If the road is so narrow you have to go on the pavement then go park somewhere safer.

If the government were capable of managing the money properly, then the VEL we have to pay for should cover the repairs....

As for an outright ban, where do you park your car? Very few people have driveways, let alone garages. Where do they go? What if all the surrounding streets are too narrow to park a car fully on the road?
  • Options
    Then life is a bitch and you should get the bus.

Pavements are designed to take the weight of people not cars. Local authorities are responsible for maintenance. In the grand scheme of things I'd rather pay for a library than repair work caused by inconsiderate fuckwits in Chelsea Tractors.
  • Options
    There isn't an outright ban because councils know it simply isn't possible. In many areas the knock on effect to traffic would be horrendous. It Parking on the pavement is sometimes a nreally is the lesser of two evils sometimes, which is why it's not universally banned and why in London (where they do have a ban) there are streets where on pavement parking is permitted.

If you are not causing an obstruction outside London then you are not breaking the law. If you do happen to cause an obstuction (sometimes I have to when loading or unloading) that is still not an excuse to cause damage to thaqt vehicle. That would make you cunt.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It's always fun when cars park on the corner so when you're crossing the road there is no way you can check without actually stepping into the road. Oh and that a lot of nature reserves are inaccessible without driving a car and that quite a few local train stations can't be accessed without dodging cars/taxis in a big fuck off car park.

It's almost like cars have priority and real people using their own two feet don't. Oh wait..

Yeah I hate cars
  • Options
    Then life is a bitch and you should get the bus.

Yeah, that's a practical idea.
  • Options
    Since when has a) owning a car and b) parking it like a cunt been a right?

Where there's room to get past it doesn't really bother me. Where I had to take my pram I to the road it did. Causing an obstruction makes you a cunt, something that isn't that uncommon with white van and 4x4 drivers. Nobody "has" to cause an obstruction and put the elderly, disabled and children at risk. They choose to because they are a weapons grade arsehole.
  • Options
    I've parked on the pavement in Plymouth O.O

Pretty sure I left enough space though.

And in Cornwall I do it even more.... :shocking: