Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cat spraying

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A small part of our kitchen absolutely reeks of cat piss sometimes but there are no signs to where it could be. We're pretty sure its not our cat as shes been trained to go outside and there arent any puddles or marks on the walls anywhere.

My mum thought it might be another cat coming in and spraying but i dont know if that would leave any visible trace, surely there'd be marks on the walls?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Weird, I heard cats hate orange peel so try leaving some scattered about the kitchen and see if it stops? Other than that I have no idea
    Cat piss lingers for a very long time. It could have happened quite some time ago.

They don't like orange smells, so if you sprinkle some orange essential oil in the area where the smell is the cat should avoid going there again.
    The area its in is right by the cats food and water, i dont want to repel her from the area though
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    The area its in is right by the cats food and water, i dont want to repel her from the area though

We used to have a cat that sprayed. We put tin foil down as then it makes a noise when they do it and they don't like it so they stop. At least that's the theory.

Also the product Feliway which I use on Randomcat (although it's pricey) works for negative behaviour. It comes in a couple of forms, I have the plug-in version. When he was more naughty it worked quite well although he's never sprayed so not tested it for that.
    Wash the area, disinfect, then cover the entire area with bicarbonate of soda and leave as long as you can. A day or two, but less if neceesary. Maybe make a solution of it or paste to put on the wall.

Then if you have a cat flap, get one of those ones that has a magnetic thingy that only your cat can open. Either that or block off the catflap and make your cat miaow to get in
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Cats are dirty bastards.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote: »
    Cats are dirty bastards.

prejudice!
    All cats kick shit around, and spit over themselves. That is dirty behaviour.
    Toxoplasmosis anbody?
    Weekender Offender 
    racist
    Dogs are no better!
    Dogs are not well know carriers of toxoplasmosis. Most dog owners do not let their dogs up on the kitchen work surface to walk shit everywhere.
    We have both a cat an a dog. The dog lives inside the cat lives in the shed.
    Weekender Offender 
    apartheid
    We dont let out cat up on the work surfaces, plus dogs can shit and piss inside just as much as cats might do
    Have you got a cat flap ? If you have and you have lady cats it's probably a tom spraying for a shag. We had this problem when leaving the back door open and later getting a cat flap. When tom spray, it's a bit of wee and secretions (very pungent) from a gland they have to attract females. Cat wee doesn't smell that much when fresh, it's later when it breaks down to ammonia that it really stinks, but a tom spraying is really strong as soon as they spray.

As it's only a bit of wee when toms spray that's probably why you're not noticing it visually, which was the same with me. Only noticed the streaks down the door/wall.
    Oooh ok, well yea she is a lady cat but shes been fixed, and it must be happening when shes not around cos she wouldnt let another cat in the house. Havent noticed any spray marks or streaks though
    my mum kept having a tomcat come in through the catflap and spraying. Theyre buggers.
    Ours have been spayed, doesn't stop the randy buggars from throughout the street though :)

That or word has got about, as i know when they were younger they've both been ravished under the conifers !! :D
    mine too. She didnt even come back for food for 4 days. Little strumpet!
    Rubberskin is 100% correct! Your problem is a random intact male entering and spraying! They can create a horrific odor with just a few drops of spray. I had the same problem, even though my females are spayed. The Vet said the males know they ate females though and are prepared to wait... Lol gonna be a long wait. If you can identify the intruder and contact his owners if possible. Next I would consider getting a door he cannot access. Last, and I have resorted to this, catch him in a live trap and have him neutered yourself. He most likely will return home never to be seen again. If not you have at least eliminated the spraying. Or if he persists (NOT LIKELY) it will have lost the offensive smell.
    And "SKIVE" you are very ignorant. Toxoplasmosis is not uniformily carried by all cats, and poses no risk except to pregnant women if it is carried. And then it us only from handling cat wastes! Cats are the cleanest animals known! They loathe filth, and if given any opportunity will be fastidious! If you confine them in filth, they have little choice and that is the cruelest of treatment! I would report your "shed" cat prison if I could! What other animal is so clean they even bury their wastes and constantly bathe themselves?