Home Politics & Debate
We've started our first discussion for our Christmas campaign which is focusing on religion or cultural beliefs that help you when you're feeling down. Some of the responses will be used anonymously on social media as a video. If you'd like to take part, head over to this thread.

We are turning childhood into a disease...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
With the publication of the most recent edition of the psychiatric bible, the DSM 5, comes a lot more psychiatric labels... Is psychiatry getting out of control? Has it always been a bit iffy? (thinking of controversial treatments like insulin coma therapy and ECT). Are people given labels and medications too readily, sometimes after just one assessment...? :confused:

please read:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health-fitness/top-psychiatrist-8216we-are-turning-childhood-into-a-disease8217/story-fneuzlbd-1226680254702

I am interested to know all your thoughts.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It seems that way, yes. I've noticed that some parents find their child doesn't match up to their standards and instantly look for a label to explain this.

My parents had the opposite issue with me - it was clear there was something wrong with me and they were constantly told it's nothing.
    I'm not sure anyone views the DSM-5 as a bible.
    ffs you know what I mean.