Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Food banks and restaurants

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone use a food bank or used one in the past? I did once or twice when i was living in London and my benefits didn't cover the basics on occasions when i was hit with a big bill or my payments were late. I've just been watching a program about food poverty and it really made me think - i live in a very well off area, but I know a lot of people who are on a very tight budget due to losing their jobs or becoming ill and having to quit work. I know there are a lot of people having to use the local food bank and i came up with an idea.

Im thinking of approaching the local high end restaurants to ask their patrons if they would donate to the local food bank at the end of their meal. Do you think people would go for it? How could i pitch it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The restaurants will tell you to fuck off.
    I would have expected pretty much what Arctic said.

People go out to a nice restaurant for a relaxing evening and to chill from the rest of life. The last thing that customers will be wanting it to be harassed about donating to a food bank, and the resturant will know that.
    Some of the big supermarket chains have a "Charity of the Year" in their local branches; look out for when they start seeking nominations.
    I would have expected pretty much what Arctic said.

People go out to a nice restaurant for a relaxing evening and to chill from the rest of life. The last thing that customers will be wanting it to be harassed about donating to a food bank, and the resturant will know that.

yes this, i dont think it would be popular at all.
    I think you'd have more luck with supermarkets than with restaurants tbh but not a bad idea. Maybe something like a food bank collection outside, you advertise what you're doing, people go in and buy something to donate, drop it off on their way back out. I think I'd rather do that than just give money to a charity. When you give money you feel pressured to give alot but buying a bag of flour and some eggs isnt much and would be much more useful (correct me if im wrong)

Or dont places like tesco or asda do vouchers? Maybe they buy vouchers for fresh fruit, bread, milk etc instead?

Supermarkets might get on board cos they'd be selling more
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Have you seen pret's policy on food waste?

The Pret Charity Run operates a fleet of LPG vans that deliver over 12,000 fresh meals to numerous shelters for the homeless in London every week. Many charities across the UK collect directly from our shops at the end of each day too. In total, Pret donates about 2.5 million products to charities for the homeless across the UK every year with the added benefit of ensuring our fresh natural food goes to the homeless at the end of the day and not to landfill. In fact, this prevents up to 250 tonnes of food from ending up in landfill.

Tragically a few of our shops have no regular charities willing to collect our fresh, natural food at the end of each day. If you run a charity in need of good food, let us know we may be able to help. Call Giovanna Pasini on 020 7932 5425.
    Our goal is to avoid landfill at all costs; we know it's bad for the environment, that they are filling up fast and that they are becoming increasingly expensive. Getting our recycling scheme bedded in is essential. We've rolled out front and back of house recycling and we have been composting our organic waste for a number of years now.

Comes from here - http://www.pret.com/sustainability/waste.htm I've been involved with a youth organisation that used it for after school activity. Might be worth getting in touch if you have a specific plan in mind... :)
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    I think you'd have more luck with supermarkets than with restaurants tbh but not a bad idea. Maybe something like a food bank collection outside, you advertise what you're doing, people go in and buy something to donate, drop it off on their way back out.

This happens at my local supermarket a lot. You get given a list of things on your way and asked to buy 1 item if you can and then drop it off when you leave.
    No pret here unfortunately, not for 30 miles+

Ok, maybe its my nieve alturistic self that thinks some of the local restaurants would agree to asking their patrons. I just think its crazy the way that so many people are reduced to eating the cheapest shit they can find. If I didn't have my mum helping me out then I would probably be in a similar place because I'm not able to sit and prepare myself much.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I know from the research I'm doing at the moment both Sainsbury's and Tesco donate any of their left over food to FareShare, and both supermarkets actively run campaigns for foodbank donations. I think a lot of people will see the flyers and signs... but at the end of the day I can't imagine restaurants or their patrons would be happy - those that want to donate may already do so and those that don't won't just because a restaurant asks them to.
    Restaurants themselves may be open to donating surplus food but won't want the diners pestered. I know I wouldn't want a chugger disturbing me at dinner, regardless of how strong the cause is. Small companies often do want to help; I know of one deli in Newcastle which donates it's surplus to homeless shelters.

Pret are good at a lot of charity things, which is astounding given they were owned by McDonalds and now by a private equity firm. The big supermarket chains are too.
    Perhaps they'd be willing to place a small card of information with the bill. and collect a voluntary donation that way.
    thats what i was thinking...would that be more acceptable to people?
    The idea of brining awareness to food banks is great, but I would be hesitant about doing it at restaurants. It seems like a guilt trip (go ahead, you have a nice meal while many others have to eat boxed mac and cheese). It probably says more about the person who gets offended by it than by the person asking, but it is a common sentiment.

What about approaching local schools and trying to get the students involved by brining in food items and sending home an information pamphlet to their parents? I see that a lot, and often times the schools can get even more involved by bribing the kids with a pizza party for the class whoever brings the most in or something :p
    Pizza party would be good, if you could get somewhere like pizza hut/dominos/pizza express on the team.