Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Diaries of a Broken Mind - bbc3

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Bbc3 are showing another programme on mental health - the caption thing is..

Documentary in which 25 young people tell the story of growing up with mental health issues. Contains some strong language and some upsetting scenes.

I'm guessing its going to be similar to Don't call me crazy. Its on bbc3 on wednesday the 17th july, 9 - 10.30pm

Sorry if someone's already done a thread about this, but I typed in the name of the programme and nothing came up so yeah.

Anyone gonna watch it? :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    probably will yeah, don't call me crazy was documented quite well
    I will probably watch, however the title annoys me. My mind isn't broken, just sometimes it doesn't work in a way which society deems to be conventional. By all means have documentaries to raise awareness on mental health, but saying we have broken minds doesn't help the stigma, in my opinion.
    Don't call me crazy used a film crew to document people, whereas Diaries of a Broken Mind is all self filmed. That way, people could be a bit more open and just pick up the camera whenever they felt they wanted to make a 'video diary'. Don't call me crazy was an incredible insight into people living in a psychiatric ward, whereas Diaries of a Broken Mind is more about how people live their day to day life.

The title isn't the best no, but the BBC made sure everyone in the film was happy with it, before running with it. It is supposed to reflect that having a mental health disorder is no different to having a 'broken leg', so it isn't meant to be offensive.

I personally took part in the filming and I'm really looking forward to breaking down mental health barriers. I hope people will see it for what it is trying to do, and it's nice to see such positivity already.

Thanks,

Bex :)
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I think I'm gonna miss this tonight :( Do come and post the verdict :)
    **helen** wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna miss this tonight :(

On demand (Virgin) and BBC iPlayer available for 7, yes SEVEN, days from broadcast :)
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I am gonna watch it, I just need to remember it is on.

I agree with what ella has said. I don't think the title is very good. People with a mental health illness are the same as others, everyone has mental health. We're not broken.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    Good episode, very eye opening.

The question "if somebody could take away your illness, would you let them" Or something along those lines. I thought it would be cool to get your views on this.

Me personally I wouldn't cos it has made me the person I am now. As confusing as it is, and how strange this may sound it's my comfort I don't know what I would be like without it.

Would really like to see your thoughts as well :)
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    Good episode, very eye opening.

The question "if somebody could take away your illness, would you let them" Or something along those lines. I thought it would be cool to get your views on this.

Me personally I wouldn't cos it has made me the person I am now. As confusing as it is, and how strange this may sound it's my comfort I don't know what I would be like without it.

Would really like to see your thoughts as well :)

Someone said that they would take away the memories and experiences (or similar) but wouldn't change the person they had become. I think this sums up how so many people become, mental illness isn't a person, but it can shape a person. I wouldn't take away my illness, but I would take away the stigma. That is what makes it harder because I'm still afraid to talk in many situations. I'm not ashamed, society is ashamed because there isn't a quick fix and a definitive answer and that goes against the instant and all-knowing nature of society.

Mental illness can be shit, really shit. But I can also recognise that it's opened doors to experiences which I wouldn't have otherwise had and allowed me to meet people who I wouldn't have otherwise met. Those experiences and people make it "okay" because I'm not alone.

The people in the documentary were incredible.
    I agree ella

About all that you have said :)
    xebnotlaw wrote: »
    I personally took part in the filming and I'm really looking forward to breaking down mental health barriers. I hope people will see it for what it is trying to do, and it's nice to see such positivity already.

Thanks,

Bex :)

It was inspiring, Bex, thank you so much!