Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Latex allergy?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I did some cleaning today and wore rubber gloves as usual, however I've noticed the backs of my hands are covered in little lumps a bit like nettle stings, but they don't really itch. I've never had a problem with rubber gloves (or condoms) before, but I dunno if this could mean I'm developing a mild latex allergy? I can't think of what else it could be because I'm using a mild soap on my hands (oliva) and haven't showered or done anything differently.

Comments

• Options
    U haz da LURGI !!!!!!!!!

Heat/sweat rash ? Any cleaning fluid get in the glove ?

I'd let the rash die down, then try again with the same pair of gloves. If nothing happens then it was probably something like above. If it happens again, let it die down then use a different pair of gloves. If it happens with the new gloves, then it's probably allergy type thing
  • Options
    Pretty much what RS said.

I've got a mild latex allergy - and find with gloves that it's usually my knuckes/joints that seem to suffer the most rather than backs of hands. Probably more likely to be some other kind of irritant/heat issue. Before using them again I'd wash the gloves well inside and out with a lot of water to try and make sure there's no nasty chemicals got on the inside.
  • Options
    It could be the powder they use inside the gloves too
  • Options
    The allergy UK website is very good. Try this: http://www.allergyuk.org/rubber-latex-allergy/rubber-latex-allergy

(been spending lots of time there at the mo due to my poor atopic boy)
  • Options
    The lumps on the backs of my hands are still there and showing no signs of budging. Starting to wonder if it's a heat rash?
  • Options
    Hi Ballerina
    From what you describe it sounds like the bumps could be heat rash. have a read of the NHS info on prickly heat to find out a bit more.

It's pretty common in this intense heat, so if the bumps aren't causing you much bother I'd wait a few days to see if they go down - if they don't best get it checked out at the doctor to be on the safe side!

:)