Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Physical Ache of Grief

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't know if this should go here or elsewhere (please move if it should be somewhere else).

Has anyone ever experienced an actual kind of physical ache following grief? I can't really explain it but I currently have this overwhelming feeling of desperation...like I really must see him and see him now. Almost as if my mind still can't comprehend that it just isn't possible and my inner 5 year old self is saying "but why can't I see him?"

Unfortunately a colleague passed away at the weekend and I'm not sure if that has stirred up these feelings but this overwhelming need to see my Dad has never felt like this before and I just didn't know if it was considered "normal"? It isn't making me feel low or anything. It just feels weird...like I am arguing with myself - its almost as if I have two people in my head - the logical one who knows it isn't possible and the other one that keeps repeating "but why?"

Sorry, I know this makes no sense...just wondered if it was common...

Comments

• Options
    I think it is very normal, I have had that intense shock feeling in my chest, like a bitter chill of adrenalin and then your mind is stunned. and yeah it is perfectly normal to feel awful dull aches and pining when in stages of grief, and when it happens again of course it will bring up not only the emotions and memories that are so vivid but also the physical pains. 'does the mind rule the body or does the body rule the mind?' I think so, I think so. we are connected from mind to body intricately.
  • Options
    it's as normal as anything grief related is. I still get that pull in my stomach as my mind tries to relate reality and my wishes...
  • Options
    Thanks guys :) I guess I just needed clarification in my mind it wasn't weird or not normal!