Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Benefits

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there, I'm new to this site but am hoping someone out there could offer some advice, my situation is I've been a chef for the last nine years since leaving school. After realising i want to change my career I'm now 25 and have been accepted on a access course with hope of going to UNi and completing a degree, my predicament is that I'm currently living in a flat paying 400 pound a month, plus bills! I leave full time employment in 2 weeks and honestly have nowhere else to go, is there any benefits I can receive in order to both live in my flat and pursue education? If so what steps any help Is appreciated thanks!!*:(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    is the course full time or part time, do you have any dependent / a disability?
    Its a 3 day course so i can idealy work part time but not more then 16 hours. I don't have any disabilities and I'm completely Independant.
    Richard@ wrote: »
    Its a 3 day course so i can idealy work part time but not more then 16 hours. I don't have any disabilities and I'm completely Independant.

It's not even 16 hours in my past experiences. You'll be told conflicting information regarding that. It would be better for you to go visit your local Citizen's Advice and discuss your current expenses and what you'll be able to receive. With it being education too, you're not really entitled to much if it's more than 16 hours a week.
    You may not get something like JSA because you left voluntarily and have to be available for work full time, unless you have caring responsibilities which prevent this.
    Hi Richard and welcome to TheSite :wave: It sounds like you've made some big decisions recently and now it's a case of figuring out how to make them work.

When it comes to benefits, so much depends on your personal circumstances so it's hard to give a definite answer in terms of exactly what you might be entitled to.

Turn2Us have an online benefits calculator that you might want to try. As Javakrypt says, your local CAB can also run a full benefits check with you if you wanted to pop in and see them.

Keep us posted on what you find out - we're always here to listen and help out where we can :)
    Thanks for the responses, yea I'm goin down to the cab this morning to get this cleared up! Fingers crossed it works out otherwise I may have to put the course on hold for a year. Cheers
    Sorry guys ill update, so yea I spoke with the cab and they basically said I'm in a good position to apply for housing benefits as well as getting some additional support/ jsa, although they stressed that everyone's circumstances are different and just because it looks good on paper there may be other reasons why I won't get it. My problem is I'm unable to apply for any benefits until I have left my current job wich will be the 16th of this month and I'm unsure of how long it could take for it to come through if at all. So yea I suppose I'm still in limbo at the minute but ill let you know either way.
    It could take weeks for your claim to be processed before you start to receive any benefits, but you will get it all backdated to the date you sent your application. So complete your applications ASAP.