Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Samaritans/phone councilling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just asked in chat- How do you get the courage to do it?

What happens when you call?

Would you recommend it?

I have called various times, when i've been depressed, when i haven't had access to a face to face councillor. I was nervous at first, and unable to really get out what I wanted to say, but the silence didn't feel uncomfortable, and i was reassured that the person on the other line was not in a hurry, they had hours for me if i needed it- so that felt so nice. The advice I received was given gently, a more of a persuading/back up to the ideas i was giving, so it didn't feel forced or scary.

I would call again, to any phone service because i find them helpful, and yet slightly distant, so i didn't feel scrutinised/paranoid or embarrassed about my reactions as i would do with face to face.

Feel free to share your experiences :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You know Ska, your actually awesome. :)
    I think i posted about one of my experiences before, and I just found it :p
    OK well I've only rang the Samaritans once, the first time being only a couple of days ago. So I can only base what I say on that one experience. I was really nervous but I went ahead anyway because I wanted to at least give it a try.

I wasn't really expecting much, but I was really impressed with them. I first rang them and asked them to ring me back as I didn't have enough credit. I spoke to a lovely woman who gave me time to put on music so I wasn't heard, and she just reassured me and just basically asked me some guiding questions and I was able to get a lot out, and she listened.

The best thing about them is that they don't tell you what to do. They might make some suggestions, but unlike other people I've talked to about various things, they will let you make your own decisions, and help you through whatever you choose. They're completely non-judgemental and I genuinely felt comfortable talking to this woman which surprised me.

The conversation we had did have quite an effect on me, it helped me see options that I didn't really see before, and she really made me feel good when I most needed it.
    i never got round to calling them, i emailed them for a long time.
    they were nice and useful, and provided a good outlet... but it doesn't compare to keep going to the same person who gets to know you. but i guess if its a crisis and you want to remain totally anonymous then they're good.
    Awww cheers naun :D

Purple, you wrote that way better- that was my experience too, exactly right with the guidance, and the way she gave me a new perspective (or helped me gain a clearer view because i was then able to see through the crisis-fog)

I emailed them once and got such a lovely reply it had me in tears- in a good way. The email just tried to turn my negatives into seeing the positives of my situation, the way someone with great self-esteem would have seen the situation. When you're upset, sometimes you choke and talking isn't so easy, or if you live in a house where people can hear you on the phone and you might not want to share so, I rate the email service.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I was just thinking about skakitty and this thread. What's the latest on Samaritans and helplines in general? I've called Papyrus before and they were really easy to chat with - but I was wary that they were more directive than was perhaps needed. It was definitely worth making a call though :thumb:
    I was chatting to a Samaritan friend of mine (because they are real people with real life experience!) and he said that what people sometimes forget is that there is no one single Samaritans Experience (and this would apply to most helplines); you never know who you're talking to and if you don't gel with the first person you speak to it doesn't mean that you will never have a good experience. The same would be true of their email service.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Definitely good to remember :)
    Aww made me think Skakitty was back. Haven't seen her around for ages!
    Aww made me think Skakitty was back. Haven't seen her around for ages!

Afaik she's doing ok. Haven't spoken to her for a while myself but her boyfriend is one of my besties so I get the lowdown on their lives every so often.
    piccolo wrote: »
    I was chatting to a Samaritan friend of mine (because they are real people with real life experience!) and he said that what people sometimes forget is that there is no one single Samaritans Experience (and this would apply to most helplines); you never know who you're talking to and if you don't gel with the first person you speak to it doesn't mean that you will never have a good experience. The same would be true of their email service.

:yes: I have been through stages of sending emails back and forth to them for days/weeks at any one time and some of the responses are excellent and others aren't...and the bit about gelling with them - is the same for face to face counselling. I've seen counsellors (one in particular) who were excellent and others that were just useless and left me feeling worse!
    [T]he bit about gelling with them - is the same for face to face counselling. I've seen counsellors (one in particular) who were excellent and others that were just useless and left me feeling worse!

Totally true, the therapeutic relationship is a major factor in recovery; which is why people need to be more empowered to request a change, I don't know how we'd achieve that in real life and budgetary constraints but that would be the ideal.
    Afaik she's doing ok. Haven't spoken to her for a while myself but her boyfriend is one of my besties so I get the lowdown on their lives every so often.

Glad to hear she's doing alright :) I used to have her on FB but I got a new account a while ago, she is lovely.