Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A-levels

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
This is really silly, but it's been bothering me.

Everyone always complains or comments on how hard a-levels are, because they're alot more work than gcse, which is obvious I guess.

But the thing that is worrying me, is I could barely cope with gcse's which apparently are piss easy compared to a-levels, and thats scaring me a bit.

And then 6th form is only 2 years, so I've got to decide what I want to do after that, and people have told me not to worry and just enjoy this summer, because it's going to be the best summer of my life, but its hard to when I'm constantly worried.

And people keep asking me what I want to be when I'm older, and when I say I don't know, they give me all these suggestions, and I feel like hitting them, because they're making me more worried about it! I can't explain this to my counsellor, because she's the same as them.

Sorry this has turned into a rant now, oopsie. Anyway my question - how do I know if I'll be able to cope with a-levels? and should I even do them?

:heart:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What A-levels are you taking?
    Also, yes AS/A level will be harder than GCSE, but you have to remember it is a much more intense course focused on less. You will be doing 4 subjects, not 10 or more like at GCSE. The lessons will be longer, there will be a lot more writing in lessons but most importantly you have to be prepared to do a lot of independent study.

You don't have to know what you want to do with your life now, however if you have no idea at all then make sure you do A-levels that keep your options open (e.g English Lang or Lit- NOT combined, Uni's hate combined apparently, Maths, History etc)
    What you pick now *COULD* close off options depending on what Uni you plan to go to, if you plan to go at all. So make sure you pick a wide variety of subjects.

Have you spoken to the student support adviser at the college you are going to? Is your induction day soon? Maybe you could speak to someone about your worries then.
    I'm not going to lie, they're hard. You'll need to work quite a lot. But they're not insanely hard. I still have 2 jobs, and enough free time, and I'm managing absolutely fine :) Long as you do subjects you like and don't mind putting in a bit of extra work if you are struggling then you'll be ok.

Don't worry about what you're gonna do after school. Last week my school organised all sorts of open days and things for us, and I can think of at least 5 of my friends who were certain on what they wanted to do and changed their mind after those, and everyone who had no idea is now pretty much sorted. Long as you have generally open A levels you'll be fine :)

Nina x
    I'm taking drama, sociology, german and english lit.

I have no idea if we have a student support adviser because its a 6th form, from the secondary school.

and Induction day isn't until a week before we start I think, however there will be people around to talk to on results day, so I guess I could talk to someone there.

thanks for replying:)
    thanks nina:) x
    I'm taking drama, sociology, german and english lit.

I have no idea if we have a student support adviser because its a 6th form, from the secondary school.

and Induction day isn't until a week before we start I think, however there will be people around to talk to on results day, so I guess I could talk to someone there.

thanks for replying:)

Are you sure it's only a week before? Is that not enrollment day? I suppose it might be different if it's joined to the school, but every college I know of has their intro. days this month, and enrollment at the end of August.

If it is just joined to your school, I'm sure your school must have a careers adviser or student support team? You need to speak to them about your options.

Drama is a subject that could close a lot of doors for you if you don't actually want to do anything in performing arts for a job, although saying this if you drop it at AS and do the other 3 as full A-levels in year 13 then I'm sure it'll be fine. Sociology, German and English lit are very "well rounded" subjects.
    Also, have you done sociology at GCSE? It'll give you a huge head start if you have, and if not then feel free to inbox me and I can give you some tips/send you useful links.

Have you been given any work to do over summer to get ready for your A-levels? At my induction day today we were given "getting ready" packs for each subject we're doing with work inside and essays to write.
    no they didn't offer it at gcse at my school + thankyou, i'll message you in a sec if thats okay:) + nope haha, i can ask at my graduation assembaly on wednesday if they've got any:)
    oops i didn't see your first message + wait that might be enrollemet day, and our induction day is the day before we start i think to do enrichment activities...brilliant.

and yeah we have to drop one anyway for y13, and i'll probably drop drama :)
    I think you should definitely go and speak to someone at the school about what would be best for you, if you've done your GCSE's there then I'm sure there will be a few teachers at least who know about your struggles. Talk to them and see if they can give you any advice or direct you to someone who can give advice!

Believe me, I know it is hard to stay engaged with education if there are other things going on in life/you're struggling. But stick with it and try not to worry too much, you can only do your best :)
    thankyou :)