Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

People, do you have mental retardation or autism? Maybe both?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Please describe ur experience.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What the fuck?
    Emmalee wrote: »
    What the fuck?

Well, just answer the question lol. Nothing to get pissed over. I know a few ppl who are Autarded, which is having retardation and autism at the same time.
  • Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    I understand you said in the past that you have some issues with communicating with people and so I thought it was best to highlight the fact that some people might take offence to the term 'retarded', because it puts any mental/learning difficulties in a negative light and so is inappropriate, even if you did not have the original intention of offending anyone. Perhaps you could just ask people about their experiences with autism and learning difficulties?
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I found this thread quite offensive if I am honest. I have mental health problems and also a learning disability, but you worded it so negatively.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    I found this thread quite offensive if I am honest. I have mental health problems and also a learning disability, but you worded it so negatively.

If u don't have autism or MR, y r u worried?
    Kissmekate wrote: »
    If u don't have autism or MR, y r u worried?

Because you're an arsehole?
    Just cos I don't have that doesn't mean I can't be offended. You have basically worded it in a horrible way. Urgh! Whatever.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    I find it offensive too.
    Stop feeding the troll guys, it will get bored and find some different goats to feast on soon enough.
    Stop feeding the troll guys, it will get bored and find some different goats to feast on soon enough.

Yeah sorry.. I will stop, Just annoyed at the thread tbh
    Because you're an arsehole?

For what? Asking a simple question? In America, mental retardation is a medical diagnosis, not an offensive term. Now if you yell at someone, "retard!" That would be different.
    Yeah sorry.. I will stop, Just annoyed at the thread tbh

BM- it is clearly a troll. They try to wind you up, cause arguments etc, that is what they aim to do. Ignore ignore ignore.
    Kissmekate wrote: »
    For what? Asking a simple question? In America, mental retardation is a medical diagnosis, not an offensive term. Now if you yell at someone, "retard!" That would be different.

but the majority of the users on this thread are from the UK, so if you wanna post some crappy-shit in an american term..maybe think about what it means for users in a different country and those that might be affected by it, Instead..of being an arsehole!.
    but the majority of the users on this thread are from the UK, so if you wanna post some crappy-shit in an american term..maybe think about what it means for users in a different country and those that might be affected by it, Instead..of being an arsehole!.

I love the way y'all spell asshole. Classic.
    Kissmekate, fair enough if you didn't realise that people would take offence at your original post, but now that it's been explained it would be polite to recognise that rather than posting more off-topic replies.

Also - as has already been explained to you in a previous thread - it is considered good manners here to explain why you are asking a question when you start a thread.

If you are confused by some of our expectations here on TheSite boards then I suggest you read our Good Manners Guide and also take a look at the sticky 'user guide' threads at the tops of each separate forum before you post again as they explain everything in more detail.

Remember that this forum is here for users to support one another, not rile and offend.
    KissmeKate - I'm going to close this thread now but would really appreciate you taking on board what spanner has said.

We are a UK charity offering a safe space for people to support each other so being a member here is about being mindful of that and respecting the community.
This discussion has been closed.