Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mental health study - survey to complete

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Hey :wave: we've had a polite request from Natalie who is studying in Northampton - do help her out if you can - she's coming from a good place! :)

Hi! I?m currently completing my thesis, and am in need of some participants! The study is looking at self-harm, but you can take part regardless of whether you have ever self-harmed. The only requirement is that participants are 18 or over. I?m currently a MSc student, at the University of Northampton, studying mental health.

In order to access the questionnaire, you will need to choose a number at random between 1 and 400. If the number you choose does not take you to a welcome page, it is because it has already been used - in this case, please simply choose a different number. You will need to make a note of what number you chose, in case you wish to withdraw from the study at any point, which you can do by emailing me at natalieazoulay@hotmail.co.uk Please put ?participant withdrawal? as the subject. You can also message me on here to request to withdraw your results.

The questionnaire will take about 20 minutes to complete. If you are not happy to continue with the study at any point, you can simply exit the window, and your data will not be saved. Thank you!

https://www.esurveycreator.com/s/cb04490

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Link dosnt work :(
    Oh no! It must have copied across wrong. Apologies! It's:

https://www.esurveycreator.com/s/cb04490
    Its asking for a code and I don't know the code to it
    You just need to choose a number between 1 and 400, and remember the number you chose. Thanks! :)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I completed the survey, but I have a couple of comments:
    1) Given that you said "you can take part regardless of whether you have ever self-harmed", I think some of the questions near the end should have had "never" as an option, but it wasn't there.
    2) In the case that someone has stopped doing it, I found it unclear whether some questions referred to now or to the time when they did it often.
    Thank you for completing the questionnaire, and thank you for your feedback. Hopefully I can clarify things a bit:

1) The questions that you completed aren't necessarily the questions that someone who has never self-harmed would complete. I have created the survey in such a way that the questions change, depending on your responses. So when it asks whether you have ever self-harmed, if you selected "no", the questions at the end, which refer specifically to one's self-harm, simply wouldn't appear, hence why there is no "never" or "N/A" option. I understand that it is a relatively long questionnaire, and therefore didn't want people to have to complete it all unless they had to. Sitting and clicking "never" for the remainder of the survey seemed a bit redundant!

2) With regard to the time that each question is referring to, it is stated at the beginning of the questionnaire that it asks about how you have felt within the last month. Therefore the questions at the end, that I think you are referring to, would also fall into this category. However, I appreciate that this may not have been explicitly expressed in the questionnaire, and it may seem that you are needed to think about it with regards to when you last self-harmed, and I have therefore included a note at the top of that specific page to clarify.

I hope that this makes it all a bit clearer for you. Thank you so much for taking the time to complete. I really appreciate it :)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    With regard to the time that each question is referring to, it is stated at the beginning of the questionnaire that it asks about how you have felt within the last month. Therefore the questions at the end, that I think you are referring to, would also fall into this category. However, I appreciate that this may not have been explicitly expressed in the questionnaire, and it may seem that you are needed to think about it with regards to when you last self-harmed, and I have therefore included a note at the top of that specific page to clarify.
    In that case, my answers to a couple of questions may not be accurate... Do you want me to re-do it?
    I found the wording of the questions at the end confusing. I am not sure what some of them meant exactly.
    In that case, my answers to a couple of questions may not be accurate... Do you want me to re-do it?

Yes, that might be best. If you don't mind! :)
    I found the wording of the questions at the end confusing. I am not sure what some of them meant exactly.

Apologies - I know they're a bit weird, but as they are part of a scale that has already been developed, I can't change them! I understand what you mean, but don't worry too much about it. Thank you so much for taking part!
    Still won't let me carate a code :(
    Still won't let me carate a code :(

Heather, you just have to pick a number between 1 and 400. Natalie has explained this, there is no more to explain.

If it doesn't work, it means someone's used that number and you have to pick a different one.
    Thanks to everyone who has replied so far...it's still open, so if you have a bit of spare time, please complete it! You've all been a massive help :)