Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

step-mum having an epileptic fit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

I was staying at my dads house last-night and my step-mum had a fit. I was so panky, scared, in tears, when it all happened.. It was the first time me seeing someone have a fit. I don't know what to do. It also put me off going beause I could stand it when that happened. I sit there watching it its so scary and upsetting to belive it and see it. How could I tell her aswell that she needs to stop hiding it from the famliey. She dosnt want the famly to see it. What happens If one of us dint know what was happing to her and dint know that she was having a fit.

Don't know nothing about fits but now I kind of know but still not 100% sure erkkkk

Comments

• Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Sorry to hear that you had to witness that.

There is some good info on Epilepsy on thesite Hopefully that offers you some reassurance.

Witnessing seizures will be difficult but with time they will become less scary. I promise you. Stay strong
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    My sister has had fits before and seen a couple of customers before and I know I can actually be quite upsetting, you feel pretty helpless.

What you need to do is stay calm, move anything out of their way they could hurt themselves on and don't try to hold them down as they could actually hurt themselves more if say you're holding their arm and they move it.

Call an ambulance and when they've stopped fitting lay them on their side and get them comfortable, but until then all you can do is let them go through it, like I said trying to intervene will only make things worse.

Not everyone who fits has to go into hospital and it is their choice but its best to call just in case. You'll find that the person will most likely want to sleep afterwards but of course make sure they've come out of it and have woken up and spoken to you first

What appended to your step mum afterwards, is she ok?
  • Options
    Some great advice there Lexi :)

Thanks!!
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
  • Options
    My friend had a medical emergency yesterday too which saw them slipping in and out of consciousness and not being at all with it. Whilst it wasn't a fit, it was related to a potentially life threatening serious condition so I understand it is scary! *hug*

I ended up on the phone to the paramedics and found that helped me a lot. Having someone the other end of the line comforting you and telling you what to be doing to help the person in need.

Next time (and I hope there isn't one for you!) maybe you talk to the emergency response person on the phone, it may help you know what to do to keep the casualty safe and out of danger and may also stop you from panicking as you have to be level headed and relay the instructions to other people and the casualty.

Also, I think next time it will be less scary as you have now had the experience of seeing a fit.

Hope your step mum and you are ok
  • Options
    You may need to put them in the recovery position.

Witnessing epileptic seizures is scary, I agree. My dad had one 9 years ago. Thankfully for him, it wasn't 2 minutes later. (He was about to pick up the kettle)

If they're laid on a hard floor, get a cushion for their head.

Some people (I did) may vomit or soil themselves during a seizure.
  • Options
    My friend had a medical emergency yesterday too which saw them slipping in and out of consciousness and not being at all with it. Whilst it wasn't a fit, it was related to a potentially life threatening serious condition so I understand it is scary! *hug*

I ended up on the phone to the paramedics and found that helped me a lot. Having someone the other end of the line comforting you and telling you what to be doing to help the person in need.

Next time (and I hope there isn't one for you!) maybe you talk to the emergency response person on the phone, it may help you know what to do to keep the casualty safe and out of danger and may also stop you from panicking as you have to be level headed and relay the instructions to other people and the casualty.

Also, I think next time it will be less scary as you have now had the experience of seeing a fit.

Hope your step mum and you are ok

She ok but iam not iam really low at the moment and I cont have comferdance to say. I need to inbox a rant with someone really then I can of load :(

Lexi99 wrote: »
    My sister has had fits before and seen a couple of customers before and I know I can actually be quite upsetting, you feel pretty helpless.

What you need to do is stay calm, move anything out of their way they could hurt themselves on and don't try to hold them down as they could actually hurt themselves more if say you're holding their arm and they move it.

Call an ambulance and when they've stopped fitting lay them on their side and get them comfortable, but until then all you can do is let them go through it, like I said trying to intervene will only make things worse.

Not everyone who fits has to go into hospital and it is their choice but its best to call just in case. You'll find that the person will most likely want to sleep afterwards but of course make sure they've come out of it and have woken up and spoken to you first

What appended to your step mum afterwards, is she ok?

Thanks for the reply. She ok now thanks for asking.
    Sorry to hear that you had to witness that.

There is some good info on Epilepsy onsome reassurance.

Witnessing seizures will be difficult but with time they will become less scary. I promise you. Stay strong

Thanks
  • Options
    :(
  • Options
    Whats wrong?

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2