Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Advance Agreement and Mental health act

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so I've been reading the NICE guidelines on schizophrenia, and it mentions advance agreement, basically, a written statement/document declaring what the patient wishes to have/not to have if they become unwell in the future and can no longer make their own decisions (mental capacity act).. just wondering, what do people know about this? Is something like this legally binding? even if the person is sectioned under the mental health act?

I am just thinking of my future. I have been sectioned a couple of times and voluntary on one occasion to begin clozapine. I think I would like to do something like this though, as I don't wish to be 'treated' by a certain psychiatrist (can this document fulfil such a wish?) if I ended up in the same ward as previously; can it prevent the use of depot injections, and also ECT?

If I made such a document, does it have to be done with the help of a lawyer?
Can it be over-ridden in the event that a second opinion is made by a consultant psychiatrist?

I would really like any information on this so I can protect my future self, but I don't know where to start.
Anyone help?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does this help at all?

Sorry I can't be more help - maybe getting in touch with an advocacy service (MIND?) would help clear things up?
    Hi Nutter

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but you could try calling Mind's helpline (0300 123 3393) as they are very knowledgeable about this area.

Also, you could use our askTheSite Q&A service - the mental health questions are answered by Sane and I'm sure they'd have some good advice for you.

Good luck :)
    'If you know that you would not want ECT treatment if you should become severely ill in the future and lack the capacity to consent, you can make an advance decision. This is legally binding under the Mental Capacity Act. The advance decision must meet special conditions if you do not want treatment even if it is necessary to save your life.'

from http://www.mind.org.uk/mental_health_a-z/8027_electroconvulsive_therapy_ect
    thank you for your replies, all have been useful. I have starting writing something, basically stating what I do not want, treatment wise, should the worst happen i.e. get sectioned again. Not sure what to do with it exactly, probably just print it off, keep in a drawer somewhere and get someone to get it and bring it to the hospital to show the staff and hopefully they would take on board my requests...