Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

eBay question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm selling my old iPhone on eBay, it's pretty beat up (smashed screen, button doesn't work) but the phone itself runs fine I used it for 4 months like that. iv watched some similar ones and they still go for around £100ish.

somebody has sent me a message saying they live in my town and offered me £85 cash for it, they said they would meet me to collect it so I didn't have to pay postage and also asked me to end the listing on eBay so I don't have to pay fees (they would pay me cash in hand)

I know I probably shouldn't do this and ebay says you shouldnt but what could go wrong? I know it sounds a bit dodgy but £85 in hand would be very useful right now. any advice? just to add the person on eBay offering me cash has got over a thousand positive feedbacks and seems to fix phones judging by the stuff he's selling.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Alot of people meet at a persons home to collect items, but if you dont feel comfortable with this then arrange to meet in a public place.

The other thing to be worried about is maybe if he doesnt pay you, or gives not enough, obviously ebay wouldnt be able to do anything about it if he did. Make sure you get the money and count it first before you hand the phone over. Also maybe get a name, address, phone number in case anything goes wrong
    yeah I'd thought about those things, I wouldn't let him come to my house, and I would probably take my boyfriend with me to make sure he gives me the right money. hmm...it would definitely beat paying like £10 in eBay fees and £5 in postage.
    It's a win for him and a win for you - just a loss for eBay. Basically you're splitting the difference on the savings overall.

Like has been said, public place, get the money before you hand the phone over. Job done.
    Just make sure he knows that this isn't an opportunity for him to haggle. You've agreed a price, if he has anything less than £85 in cash that he promised then walk away.
    Did you sell your phone?
    yes :) why?! x