Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Teen slang

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Ollie from TS (you may recognise his name from our twitter feed ;)) shared this with us:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/teenagers/a1745256-Teenage-slang-translation-thread

Wagwan-bredrin-why-we-teens-cant-speak-proper-628x250.jpg

Seems a bit London centric to moi...but made me :lol:

Ring a bell? ;)

Comments

• *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I don't get it lol
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    It's basically a discussion about words teenagers use - have you heard any of them?
    haha yeah I get it now. Yep heard of some of them. I feel old, but I can't remember using them. I bet I did though.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've heard a few of them being used, like bare, yolo and sick.
    Yolo- As in you only live once?
    Yes
    Haha. Maybe I am clever:p
    YOLO FISH WOT U SAYIN YEA FAM? Aint nuffink rong wit dis slag yea jus how we speak innit bruvva.
    That's how the vast majority of people I know sound ;)
    hahahaha that just made me giggle :)
    FISH = fuck it, shit happens. For those who didn't know.
    I was just about to ask about fish.
    I may need to instigate that one at work.
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Brasse - appalling/awful/generally bad

(pronounced like "brass" if you're from the north)

eg: This curry is brasse.
    It's only been a few years since I was a teenager and I don't know most of those. To be honest I don't think we had much slang. One I do remember was pod = a nerd/someone well behaved at school that got good grades (i.e. me). That was 10 years ago before being a nerd was cool :P And crease = calling someone camp/gay (derived from batty crease/batty boy from Ali G)
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I remember when my sis and I were 12/13 and used to think we were 'it' because we used to say - 'that's pucker blindin' and then we thought the word pucker was not so cool because it was from Only Fools and Horses, so we started just saying 'blindin' :cool: *cringe*
    Broken Angel uses slang which I don't understand half the time ;)
    ella! wrote: »
    Broken Angel uses slang which I don't understand half the time ;)

Lol..
    I got called "Tonk" once. Apparently it meant I was big and hard like a Tonka toy and was a compliment. I'm still sceptical.
    I use a bit every now and then but mostly old words... I can't even think of an example now. Sometimes a bit of rhyming slang like 'boat race'.

I hate all the new slang that comes out all the time. It doesn't make anyone look cool or 'gangsta', you look like a retard who can't talk properly. What's wrong with using the words we've already got?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    I use a bit every now and then but mostly old words... I can't even think of an example now. Sometimes a bit of rhyming slang like 'boat race'.

I hate all the new slang that comes out all the time. It doesn't make anyone look cool or 'gangsta', you look like a retard who can't talk properly. What's wrong with using the words we've already got?
    I imagine our grandparents saying similar things about other words, some years ago. It's all relative isn't it?
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    NEBB1 is quite common here, and often used as a graffiti word for people to mark their territory.
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    YMCA = Yesterday's muck cooked again :D
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Reena wrote: »

Lol very good