Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

dieting :)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just wondered if anyone is in the process of dieting/healthy eating and maybe we could use this thread as a support thread?! share recipes and tips etc.

iv gone from a happy size 12 to a 14-16 since I moved in with my boyfriend (they do say being happy in a relationship makes you put weight on!) and am not happy! I want to fit back into all my dresses again :) I decided to join slimming world because I need some kind of plan to follow, if I try and just healthy eat myself I don't stay on track!

I joined a month ago and have lost 10lb so far so im quite pleased with that. iv also been attempting to do the 30 day shred workout DVD every day but it usually ends up every other day ha.

anybody got any tales to share? today I am really craving chcolate :( hehe!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm dieting to get down to 9 stone ish, mainly doing it by cooking from fresh and watching what I eat. I've done it before but then I got lazy and put the weight back on. Really it's about lifestyle change isn't it.

I do get cravings though and sometimes I binge and then I hate myself for a little bit. It doesn't help that when I've eaten something bloating it makes me very bloated and makes me look pregnant. It's almost a joke that I can go from a flat belly to 6 months pregnant in the space of a meal.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I do get cravings though and sometimes I binge and then I hate myself for a little bit.

The people I know who have lost weight and had it stay off advocate a cheat day where they get to binge, so I wouldn't beat yourself up about that.

I'm trying to lose weight and what I'm learning from the people I speak to that are in shape is that the whole 'less calories in than out' thing is a gross oversimplification that doesn't work. A bottle of coke only has 105 calories but the insulin response it generates in your body is nightmarish.

It's all about the quality of the calories not the quantity, if that makes sense. Exercise plays a tiny part when it comes to weight loss - it really is all about diet.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    This thread has really made me crave a bottle of coke ;)

Really though, I just wanted to bow to Infinite's post - this thing about 'quality of calories' makes a bucket load of sense.

I also just wanted to add something about breakfast - I suck at eating it for the most part, but when I get a big ol' bowl of porridge in me, it does wonders for my ability to avoid snacking on crap, as well as having a much more positive frame of mind. :)

Maybe we could have a healthy eating live chat some time? If that's something you'd be up for, raise your virtual hands...and we can make sure we get someone credible in for it... :cool:
    Sure thing though it's mostly common sense isn't it? I think we all know that chocolate, sweets and fizzy drinks are bad for us, and that salad, lean meats and whole foods are good for us.

The problem is always being the master of our urges. I don't think you can learn that, it's just self discipline.

I am worried about getting diabetes one day though if I don't pack in the sweet binging
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Sure thing though it's mostly common sense isn't it? I think we all know that chocolate, sweets and fizzy drinks are bad for us, and that salad, lean meats and whole foods are good for us.

Yeah, for a lot of it. But there a lot of things that tend to fly in the face of what people consider healthy. Like fruit juice is bad for you because it has all the sugar of fruit but none of the fibre. Dark chocolate is okay in moderate doses. White bread is terrible.

I feel like a lot of weight issues do come down to education and not everyone gets or understands what a healthy diet should look like. Or that Omega-3 fat is good, trans fats are bad. That some cooking fats are good, despite years of cholesterol warnings. That eggs are almost a super food and an amazing source of protein.

I think if you understand why something is good or bad for you rather than just being told 'eat this, don't eat that' you're more likely to change your habits.

To come back to dear old coke, once you understand how much of a poison it is I believe you're less likely to drink it.
    by quality of calories do you mean like, you could have 3 chocolate bars in a day and still have your required amount of calories or you could have 3 healthy meals and still have the same amount of calories? if that makes sense?

on slimming world (sorry if I go on about it, it's become a way of life recently!) you can have as much lean meat, fruit, vegetables, pasta and rice as you want. you get a dairy and fibre allowance a day then you have to count points for everything else. it's quite easy to make good meals out of the 'free' foods.

iv just got such a sweet tooth I'm really missing chocolate and cake ha. surprisingly I haven't missed bread as much as I thought I would, and before I used to have loads. now I hardly eat it.
    **helen** wrote: »
    Maybe we could have a healthy eating live chat some time? If that's something you'd be up for, raise your virtual hands...and we can make sure we get someone credible in for it... :cool:

sounds good :)
    by quality of calories do you mean like, you could have 3 chocolate bars in a day and still have your required amount of calories or you could have 3 healthy meals and still have the same amount of calories? if that makes sense?

on slimming world (sorry if I go on about it, it's become a way of life recently!) you can have as much lean meat, fruit, vegetables, pasta and rice as you want. you get a dairy and fibre allowance a day then you have to count points for everything else. it's quite easy to make good meals out of the 'free' foods.

iv just got such a sweet tooth I'm really missing chocolate and cake ha. surprisingly I haven't missed bread as much as I thought I would, and before I used to have loads. now I hardly eat it.

Kind of. The concept of burning more calories than you eat isn't wrong it's just that it focuses purely on the numbers and not how your body reacts to the way you're getting those calories. So a person eating the pure chocolate diet, even if they burn more calories, will still put on weight because of the how their body reacts and processes the food. The insulin your body produces would sky rocket and you'd store more fat (I think, this is the part I'm still learning about). It's why two glasses of coke a day is probably less than 300 calories but can result in an person gaining 60 pounds extra a year (or something close, I can't find the exact study just now). I hope that makes sense.

And it's not just obviously sweet things. A lot of the irritating super nutrition healthies won't go near white rice, pasta or bread because it has the same effect.

Cheat days might be a good counter to the sweet tooth. Then you could look forward to the cake alll week :d
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Infinite. wrote: »

To come back to dear old coke, once you understand how much of a poison it is I believe you're less likely to drink it.

Very true, in my household, we use it to clean burnt pans - it eats away at the black grit like magic. Not a good sign!
    iv never liked coke ever since we did an experiment in primary school where they left a tooth in a glass in it for a couple of days and it all rotted...obviously I know it's not just coke that does that it's all fizzy drinks but it put me off! plus I don't like the taste.

infinite I think I'd rather have a little bit of chocolate every day instead of a binge day :D trouble is if I buy it in (which I never do) ill eat it all! ha :)
    I now buy myself hotel chocolat chocolate. In the taster packets. It's expensive, and rich, which means that I find it much, much easier to ration it.

I also discovered cocoa nibs. They're like grated cocoa beans. Gets you the chocolat hit, in tiny quantities. Bit like eating coffee beans though.
    Infinite. wrote: »
    And it's not just obviously sweet things. A lot of the irritating super nutrition healthies won't go near white rice, pasta or bread because it has the same effect.

The difficulty for me is cutting through the pseudobabble. It's very fashionable to hate on anything remotely processed or 'clean' in lieu of everything ultra organic and grown in someone's bush... and I wonder whether there's always the significant health benefit claimed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9543173/White-bread-is-not-bad-for-you-experts-say.html for example

http://examine.com/faq/is-whole-wheat-bread-better-than-white-bread.html

http://www.silverhydra.com/2011/02/white-vs-whole-wheat-bread/

Obviously the information allows us to make better choices. But a lot of information out there (that seems to make sense) if you scratch under the surface seems to unsubstantiated. I bought into the whole Atkins thing ages ago but... I honestly barely trust anything these days :)
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    A lot of dieting is common sense. I've cut out on most junk this year and have managed to lose about 4 1/2 stone without completely changing my life.
    JsT wrote: »
    A lot of dieting is common sense. I've cut out on most junk this year and have managed to lose about 4 1/2 stone without completely changing my life.

that's really good! well done :)
    I've been trying to diet for about 2 years now (omg, it has been that long!) After uni I gained about 20lbs in just a couple months from eating all my sad I have no future feelings. I'm just counting calories on myfitnesspal. I'll make it about 2 days of eating a nice healthy 1750 cals, then eat 4k... I don't deprive myself those two days, I just get a craving for sugar, and as soon as it touches my lips I must have it all.

One day... one day... :p
    This thread reminds me that I'm really keen to eat more healthily now that Baxter is approaching an age where he might want to try what we eat.

I've been naughty and grab high sugar things when I need quick energy. I need to buy convenient things that are healthy like raisins, yoghurts, fruit and actually eat them rather than grab a biscuit from the biscuit tin.