Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

imaginary friends

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 16, and have become concerned by something that has been affecting me for a while now, I think over a year.

I'm usually at home alot now and stay in my room for the majority of the day and mostly just see my parents around when I'm not out at college. This is a daily routine for me as I prefer to isolate myself from social interaction as I have very self concious anxiety and worry about my performance around others. Over time this has made me feel alone, even though I have a couple of good friends at college and loving parents. I'm not sure how long it's been going on for but I talk to myself alot and can't seem to stop unless I'm in public places. I'm quite aware that there is noone there; yet I feel as if I'm talking to another person. I sometimes talk about my daily experiences but I usually just talk throughout the day about whatever I'm doing at the time. I even joke with myself and laugh like I would with a best/close friend.

Recently though I have been worried as I have actually created three main 'characters' who I talk to on a daily basis and they all have names, appearences and personalities. What worries me the most is that I won't be able to let them go and that I can't seem to ever be truly alone. I also don't understand how I believe they exist; yet at the same time I know they are just pretend. I personally think this is just my way of coping but I'm not entirely sure.

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place on the forum.

Please let me know what you think and what could help me out. thank you.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Anonymous5:wave:

First of all I would like to say welcome to the boards and yes you are in the right place on the forum :)

From reading your thread I think even though part of it is innocent it is also something you should seek professional advice on. I can't say what the answer is but what I would advise you to do is to see your doctor or someone maybe at your school like the school nurse or other profession. It could be completely innocent but it would put your mind at rest. I noticed that you said that you isolate yourself in your room and that you don't have a lot of confidence being around people and you are conscious of this. It could be like you said a coping mechanism or how you deal with being on your own a lot. The fact that you have made up 'characters' is possibly be because it is your only way of interaction, as humans we like to interact but some people do not cope with this on the outside world so interact in their heads. Does that make sense to you?

Do you have any hobbies or interests?

Keep us posted of how you are doing.

purple_rain :heart:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hi purple_rain :)

Thanks for the advice, I forgot to write that I've been seeing a counsellor for about 10 weeks and used to go to CAMHS for a while too. I have also booked to see a new counsellor who I will see this month. I also go to karate which is pretty good for my confidence. the only problem is that I still panic with all the people around. I would like to get out more and meet people but I'm not sure what to do. I want to meet people but I'm always scared of losing friends once I make them and I tend to overcompensate. I suppose making friends at my age is difficult because it's probably rare that you stay with the same people for long. I think your right as well and it is just innocent, as my way of coping. yet I feel freaked out that I feel permanently watched and listened to. I don't mind having make believe friends, it's just i don't like the feeling I have around me.

As for hobbies I don't have many, apart from karate sometimes I draw and make music videos which keeps me busy.

I'll will keep you updated

-Anonymous5 <3