Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Land dispute!!! Can anyone help?

ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
Not sure if this thread is in the right place.

Does anyone know about public access/ foot paths? And where we stand if they are blocked?
Or the regulations of trees being cut down?

See we're having this problem with some land, the local community has been using it for years. Not sure how long but something like 50/60, and this guy said it was his and he wanted to build on it. I think it was 4 new houses with garages, but the land is tiny and we already have problems because the street is a dead end, with 2/3 vehicles per house. He said he has planning permission and everything.

Now he wants to sell it to someone else.
We have had some information about the land;
something about being given to the residents for a 99 year lease by the previous owners -I think (which would still be in affect).
the land is classed as grazing land -so planning permission seems a bit off.

The local council aren't willing to help -probably because they are the ones who put it up for sale when they shouldn't have.

The land has trees and a public access to common land, so if anyone knows of some way we could use that to stop them I would be very grateful.
Thank you, Reena.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey Reena,

I've moved your thread into the Home, Law and Money forum :)

You may also want to submit this question to askTheSite which puts you in touch with expert advisers - for this kind of question the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) will answer it so they will have the legal knowledge. You could also call your local branch for advice: http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm

What a nightmare though! If there's anything you can do to protect that green space for the community then it sounds really worthwhile. Tweeting your council (if you use twitter) can be a good way to gather support for your cause or even setting up a facebook page and seeing if you can get some local press coverage?

It does sound like you need some expert advice on who owns the land etc and what theirs and your rights are.

Good luck!
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Thanks Jo. xx
    It doesn't look like we can stop him cutting down the trees.
    Some of them were planted by children in the community around 30 years ago, and others look like they're about 100, maybe more.
    Rotten B*%@*£!.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When seeking planning permission, developers must inform the residents, but this is usually in the form of notes tied to lamp posts and a piece in the public notices in your local newspaper, at which time any protest against the application can be heard by the council. The trouble is, no-one pays attention to these things, so no-one will notice until it's too late.
    When seeking planning permission, developers must inform the residents, but this is usually in the form of notes tied to lamp posts and a piece in the public notices in your local newspaper, at which time any protest against the application can be heard by the council. The trouble is, no-one pays attention to these things, so no-one will notice until it's too late.

Thanks Captain Slog! :wave:
    Well he told us he sent us letters, which is a lie. It has been going on for years now. Every time he comes up saying he wants to do work on the land and that we all had letters notifying us.
    There are 3 lamp posts where the land is, 1 right on it, I don't think he has ever posted 1.
    The council said it's nothing to do with them, they don't seem to care about us. :grump: