Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

New piercing- No sea salt!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys :wave:

Just got my nose pierced, and have realised I've got no sea salt. I've got utterly no money left so can't buy any, I'm up at my dads till Thursday evening but I should be able to convince my mum to buy me some sea salt for Friday.

Until then, how should I clean it? I don't want it to get all infected!! :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ordinary salt?
    Thanks guy, it says on the leaflet the piercer gave me "DO NOT USE TABLE SALT" do you think it'll be alright for a couple of days? Better than nothing I suppose?
    I used table salt. I've always been a bit careless with my piercings, I guess, but none of them has ever got infected.
    Lemon juice and hot water works
    I wouldn't recommend tea tree oil but some do.
    What about savlon or TCP as a last resort?
    I've got lemon juice, should I just put a teaspoon in boiled water like with salt? And also, do you think that's better than using table salt?

(sorry for all the questions! I did all my ear piercings myself and never bothered to look after them, but I really don't want an infection on my nose. I ruined it quite a bit with sniffing drugs and now I want to look after it, especially the piercing :( )
    Table salt is better and you'd need to use 2tbsp of lemon juice at least
    Being dull and applying science to the whole thing - the difference between table salt and sea salt is pretty negligible. Make sure you boil the water and it'll be fine.
    Ah okay thanks Scary Monster :) I'll use table salt for now!