Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

replase and recovery

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is that phrase 'relapse is the first stage of recovery' true? because last night I broke my two weeks clean, and I don't really see the point anymore..:banghead:

Comments

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey CuteSmileyFun,

Would you like to talk a bit more about what happened, maybe TheSite.org can help you explore alternative options you could have taken? :)

Relapses are part of recovery, nobody recovers like a click of a finger, as much as we wish we could, but recovery has it's very difficult times, it's scary times, and I guess sometimes we have no choice but to give in to an urge, because you know that's the coping strategy you've used in the passed, and for a few minutes it helps. But I guess if you want to recover, and taking action when you feel the urge arising, for example, doing some self soothing and a bit of relaxing, what distractions have you used in the past when coping? :)

*hug*'s - Keep reaching out to us :)
    Best wishes,
    Angel
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    **Angel** wrote: »
    what distractions have you used in the past when coping? :)

I've tried what seems like everything! I've tried breathing techniques, ice cube, elastic bands, butterflies, red pens, writing, distractions, screwing up paper, throwing clay on the ground, EFT and nothing seems to work! No matter what I do, I end up laying in bed with that tense feeling and only one things seems to get rid of it - I don't see the point in even trying to recover anymore. But thanks for replying:)
    Hey cutesmileyfun

Just wanted to echo what Angel has said - please don't feel a failure because of one relapse. The really positive thing here is that you managed two whole weeks - that's a brilliant achievement and shows that you can do it.

Next time you feel yourself slipping try to put yourself in the mind of the person who managed those two weeks and remind yourself how strong you can be.

*hug*
    thankyou
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hello CuteSmileyFun,

Talking about Mindfulness I was involved in a DBT programme for a year, I did the programme twice and it involved A LOT of mindfulness and to be honest, I found it very beneficial, and I've finished and graduated now, and I still carry on using mindfulness, the issue with mindfulness is it takes a lot of time to get used to, but sticking to it will get you their, you'll have frustrating moments with Mindfulness, but it's all about sticking to it, really.

Just carrying on from Jojo's post - Mindfulness is all about staying in the moment, so, not thinking about the past, or things that are happened in the past, and not focusing on stuff that 'Might' happen in the future, for now, you just need to focus on the moment, the NOW. Take a few mindful breaths, nice and deep, in and out, at least 3 times. It also involves dropping the judgements, because holding judgements against ourselves really doesn't help how we feel in the moment if we feel rather 'miserable' - Drop the judgements.

Mindfulness is also about noticing your emotions, and really noticing what's going on, observing, describing, and involving yourself in to an experience.

Their are a wide variety on mindfulness activities, but I like the relaxations ones, their are many relation video's you can listen to on YouTube to, how about checking this one on Progressive Muscle Relaxation?

For example you could lie down, put some peaceful music on, preferable no lyrics. As that wouldn't really be being mindful, and just notice yourself, notice which foot feels heavier etc...Notice your body from your head down to your toes and just relax, I've always found that one of my feet feel heavier than the other.

The issue with distractions is when you're struggling, you don't really want to stick to it. But you have to be mindful when using Distractions and just really notice it, instead of giving up, you really need to keep going with it. And try different distractions until you find one that's beneficial to you.

Best wishes,
    Angel
    Hey cutesmiley, don't think of yourself as relapsing, just think of yourself getting stronger. 2 weeks clean is an awesome achievement and I am really proud of you *hug*

From what my care team has told me, you need to work on some distraction techniques. If you feel the urge to s/h and you manage to distract yourself for an hour, it doesn't matter if it's only an hour, you have managed to put yourself in control of your situation and next time you could last 2 hours and so on.

xx
    thankyou