Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How do I write a job advert?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need to advertise for a couple of personal assistants to help me with my care needs, but I have no idea how to do this! I've spoken to social worker who said to put a bit about myself in it, and then list all the tasks I need help with - but theres a huge long list! I need to also add that it needs to be a female as I need some help with personal care, but is that ok E&D wise? Where might be good places to advertise? I'm thinking the uni job shop (but I'll need to add to it that its a year round position as well), but I'm not sure where else? Job centre? it also helps if they are set up as self employed as otherwise I have to take some of my money out of the pot for my care and put it towards paying for a payroll company to do it.

Any ideas would help!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Look at other similar job adverts? They tend to be the same, a little bit of info about the person, a short list of examples of the things they need help with, and mention personal care if needed. Expected hours/days. And mention if you have any pets. Then ask people to get in touch if they want to know more. I can't really think of much else
    I've spent all evening looking at similar job ads and not gotten too far with it. I'm struggling with what it is I require of them asides the basics and how to make seem attractive to prospective applicants.
    The other way would be to consider an agency doing it for you, we use them at work because the time / effort in getting a decent candidate makes sense to farm it out.
    I don't have the money to go down a recruitment agency route and I'd prefer to do the interviews myself considering how personal the job is.
    Yea normally with an agency you would do final interviews yourself, but fair enough. It's just there to screen out everyone not meeting your criteria whilst getting access to a large network of candidates ready to go.
    I had a quick look on job centre plus and found a few for Personal (Care) Assistant. They keep it short and sweet:

PA required with personnel care, meal preparation, domestic tasks, shopping and accompanying to appointments. Must hold a full driving licence. Hours will be: x. Must be flexible. Call (x) or email.

Seems straightforward to me, the interview may be the best place to get to grips with the ins and outs of everything.
    Also I just had a brief look and the law seems confusing with regards to male carers. The service user has the right to refuse a male carer, but the employer can not discriminate on grounds of gender. Hence your job application could not say women only. If a male applied and was given the impression that the reason he wasn't given the job was because of his gender he could take you to some kind of tribunally thing.

With the vast majority of qualified carers being female you might dodge a bullet on that one though.

Edit: Google genuine occupational qualification. Shouldn't be a problem from what I can see.
    Someone suggested advertising at the job centre I don't know if that's a good idea or not? Or how to go about it ?!
    More candidates is better than less, but you don't want to widen your criteria to the point you're getting chaff.

[url]Http://www.gov.uk/advertise-job[/url]

First link on Google.

I would say get something on there, let it run, and tweak it if you need to. Also set up a temporary email address for CVs and applications.
    The one that's gone to the local uni job shop that has my personal email cos I know it's not many that will actually see it but if I do go on to use the job centre I will use a anon one