Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

No Confidence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it time to call a vote of no confidence? It seems clear to me that the government is having difficulty passing any of the bills it wants this year due to infighting between the tory backbenchers, the tory front benches, and the liberal Democrats.

In the meantime there isn't the will or capability to tackle big issued, is it time to say the coalition has failed? I just don't think it's right for a government that is so obviously falling apart to continue to pretend to govern. Either David has to make concessions to the right (against the electorates will) to keep his party together or fight futile battles locking up parliament until the next general election.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A no confidence bill would be defeated
    I don't know about a vote of No Confidence, I think the likes of Dishface Dave should be taken round the back and shot. Apart from Gideon, who should be shot twice.

The fact that they're destroying themselves over Europe- an issue most people couldn't give a flying fuck about- whilst the country crumbles says everything you need to know about the swivel-eyed loons.

As for Farage, the fact that someone as utterly batshit mental as he is getting traction in the Tory party says everything you need to know. When the Scots chanted that he is a bawbag, never a truer word was spoken. The guy looks like a shrivelled testicle and only fails to win the title of "most racist orange-skinned political party leader" because of his predecessor Robert Kilroy-Silk.
    No-one gives a fuck about Europe? Perhaps they will when they try raiding our bank accounts as they have in Cyprus!

What makes you think Farage is "utterly batshit mental"? As the Eurozone descends further into the mire, I rather think his position has been vindicated, no?
    But one of the main problems of the eurozone is a fiscal union which is not applicable to us (we control our own currency). Though as much as it's a problem it's been a benefit as well so it's not as simple as that. But it's a long argument with pros and cons, my concern would be UKIP doesn't get into the details or the net benefits over time.

My issue is that at the point where this motley collection of lib dem MPs and Tory MPs can't get any bills they want through without concessions to fringe elements, is there a moral responsibility to admit defeat of the coalition, put together a new manifesto and go to the polls?

Of course we know the tories won't do this as they would lose by a large margin because their core voters and fringe voters policy requirements are incompatible right now.
    I'm not sure going to the polls would do much at the moment. I'd hope the rotten stench of Labour's ineptitude is still strong enough in people's nostrils to deter them voting that way - though political memory is short and revisionism strong. So people are stuck choosing between the fecal trinity of Tory, LibDem or UKIP. A shit platter so delicious where does one even begin?
    People give a fuck about putting a roof over their head and food on the table. Given the Conservatives' failed economic "policy", that's a struggle for millions of people now. People don't give a fuck about the EU because it isn't relevant to their lives. The only time people do give a fuck about the EU is when the media tell them that the EU are taking their food from their fridges. Utter bollocks, of course; the media only say it because the media barons don't like the EU's pesky regulations on unfair competition and media plurality.

UKIP themselves are a bunch of fantasists and swivel-eyed loons and they're only getting traction because of a general antipathy to politicians. UKIP are promoting themselves as anti-politics, essentially, but all the while feathering their own nests with the EU expenses they claim to loathe.

UKIP are a filthy party full of filthy people. Stuart Wheeler, their treasurer, made his money by running a firm that allowed spread betting on the cost of commodities like rice and wheat. He made his money starving people to death. He was booted out of the Tories for being too much of a right-wing whackjob. Godfrey Bloom, their MEP for Yorkshire, reckons that women of child-rearing age should not be employed, as they should be "at home spending more time cleaning behind the fridge". One of UKIP's biggest donors this year reckons women who wear trousers are "hostile" and to blame for the falling marriage rate and that homosexuality and paedophilia are the same thing. UKIP are the only party that have had to actively ban BNP members from joining. Farage himself has been described as a "Stalinist dictator who thinks women should be in the bedroom or the kitchen" by one of his own MPs, a view backed up by the way in which Farage delights going to places where he pays women to take their clothes off for him.

The thing I find most telling is that the Green Party- who actually have an MP, unlike the execrable UKIP- are not mentioned at all by the mainstream media as an alternative.
    While I largely agree, when you get Greens in your area, as I have in Brighton, they spend a lot of time fucking about making the entirety of your town a 20mph zone. Something even the police don't bother enforcing as it's so ridiculous on some roads.

ETA: They're also of the Fingers in the Ears, No Cuts and Keep Borrowing School of Economics.
    Nothing wrong with making a town like Brighton have a 20mph speed limit. The London borough I live in has that speed limit except on A roads too, and there's not a Green in sight here.

As for the economics, the Greens advocate quite a lot of cuts. Trident, the MoD, PFI; they'd bin the lot. And rightly too, we'd save a bloody fortune if we ran things "in house" rather than getting some greedy French fat cat at ATOS to do it for us. Don't pretend for one second that the Conservatives are advocating cuts; they're merely advocating stealing money from the poor to give to the rich. If the Conservatives were serious about fixing the economy they'd make Vodafone and Google pay their fucking taxes and they'd clamp down on personal offshore tax havens (rather than giving everyone 12 months notice that they'll do this, but only in Switzerland, so why not move your money to BVI?). But when the chair of HSBC, personally implicated in laundering Mexican drug money, is given a place in Cabinet, I wouldn't hold my breath.

UKIP don't even have a "fingers in ears" economic policy; they don't have a sodding clue how they'd fund any of their wishlist. Dropping out of the EU ain't gonna fund very much, Nigel.
    What are the actual figures of what we give the EU and what we get out of them - not just to the government but to NGOs as well?
    Some roads? Sure. All the residential roads regardless of whether they're only nominally residential? Nope. That's lazy blanket policy. Though political parties rarely bother with facts or details.

What the Greens advocate is deck chairs off the Titanic. They're also keen on keeping loss-making nationalised industries and re-nationalising ones that were historically loss-making. The solutions have to be more radical than Tory "cuts" or Labour's "spend, spend and more spending" debt solutions. It's not popular to admit the extent of how shagged we are financially. I'd genuinely consider putting my vote for the party who puts partisan nonsense aside and admits openly and honestly how fucked we are.

You're not going to hear me defend UKIP. I'm with you on that one.
    I'd vote for the party that has the cajones to say "screw you bankers, we're not repaying a single penny back!"
    Part of the reason those industries were loss making is because they were totally mismanaged by the government so they could be sold off!!
    Spliffie wrote: »
    Perhaps they will when they try raiding our bank accounts as they have in Cyprus!
    Errr.... hardly raiding the banks accounts when it involved Europe giving a lot of money to the banks in order that the banks didn't become bankrupt and in so doing take all the money in the accounts with them
    http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/lose-election-PM-charge/story-19249492-detail/story.html#axzz2Vw5uMgP9
    A vote of no confidence in Prime Minister David Cameron's leadership has been called for by North West Leicestershire MP Andrew Bridgen. The Tory backbencher has said the Conservative Party faces losing the next General Election if MPs do not act now and oust their party leader.
    I'd vote for the party that has the cajones to say "screw you bankers, we're not repaying a single penny back!"
    This.
    Unfortunately the tories are too close to the city of London. Look at their resistance to the EU financial transaction tax (cleverly disguised as "standing up to Europe").
    To be fair to them, they are protecting Britain's interest in that.

Which European economy has the largest banking sector (as proportion of GDP)? Us.

So we are going to suffer the most as a result of any changes to banking regulation and/or taxation.

I'd be happy to bring in this and at the same time scrap the CAP though, a policy we lose out on because we have a smaller agricultural sector (as proportion of GDP) than many of our European neighbours.
    We only have such a dominant banking sector because successive governments have allowed the banks and vulture capitalists to ride roughshod over every other sector. You only have to look at Rover to see what I mean; the vulture capitalists made their money by asset stripping the company and they didn't have any punishment meted out to them when Rover failed.

Given that each country is in debt up to its eyeballs to every other country, there comes a point when we have to ask just what the fuck is going on. If we owe a billion and are owed a billion, then really why don't we all just say we're not paying? The only people making any money out of this wonga merry-go-round are the bankers. Fuck 'em, fuck 'em right up the arse with a rusty exhaust pipe.