Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Italy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
A group of us are thinking about going to Italy. We've looked at hotels near the Italian lakes, Garda etc, but for all of us it's quite expensive and we found this http://www.cottagestocastles.com/italian-lakes-villas.aspx and worked out it would actually be cheaper to hire a villa for a week.
Has anyone been to the lakes? Any particular one we should try? We want to hire bikes so don't want anywhere too hilly.
Thanks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    What would the Villa include?
  • Options
    We haven't booked anything yet until we decide where we're going, but the ones we've looked at already have a tv/internet/pool and all kitchen stuff, bedding etc.
    Garda seems nice, a bit hilly in some places but also some good bits for cycling.
  • Options
    You would need to compare the difference on feeding yourselves. Villa might be cheaper but come out more expensive overall.
  • Options
    Feeding yourself would be much cheaper than half board but possibly not as cheap as fully inclusive.
  • Options
    I suppose it depends on how expensive food is over there, no idea really. I think we'd be happy to eat pretty basically while we're there, pasta etc (it's Italy!).
  • Options
    Hey Elsie,

I stated at a camp site 'Bella Italia' its on the southern part of lake garda.

Incredible.

The camp site was quite large and I believe you can hire caravans etc from different providers who have properties at that site.

I cannot tell you how good the prices are because we went there with a sun newspaper promotion and paid 80 for 4 nights, please research the camp yourself.

It was great being self catering as we would buy stuff from the local shop and cook for ourselves in the evening.

We got a cheap flight into Milan with easyjet so had a walk around there to see the sites then hopped on a train which stopped at peschaira del garda (i know I spelt that wrong?) From the train station the cabs got a rank there so we got a cab to the site which took 10 mins then checked in.

Great thing about that site is the location, being on the southern part and near the aforementioned station we spent a day at verona (romeo and juliet)and see the collasium type building etc.
    We also took that train line which travels straight into Venice so we spent a great day there walking around.

Verona is nice, Venice is better, the lake is better than Venice...
    It's so peaceful and beautiful, if you go in season there will be boats to hire etc (activities) on the lake, but that's not essential as we went out of season but was still lucky with the sun.

There is a town on a peninsula on the southern part of the lake called sermione a bus ride away from the camp site. That is the nicest place I have ever seen, so glad we went there, amazing buildings amazing ice cream amazing scenery amazing quaint beautifully presented streets and people.

Also, I didn't go there but in the other direction not too far from that camp is a town called bardolino, I may spell wrong but Google maps will show you. Bardolino is famous for wines.

We did get a coach up to the top right part of the lake to a town called Malcesine another beautiful town but we caught the cable car up the mountain of mount baldo and eat in a restaurant overlooking the mountain down across the lake...

So, in summer I would say ccheck out camp site prices as you can have a great time there.

Take care,

Bet
This discussion has been closed.