Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Facebook

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone have facebok and what do they think about it.

I think facebook is boring and a lot of crap caurse on there.

What's everyone appinons on it

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Facebook is what you make it. Have a friends lists of idiots and people you don't really care about and low privacy settings then it's going to be crap. If you're sensible and careful how you use it then it's going to be much better.
    Pretty much what Ballerina said.

I find it a really useful way of keeping in touch with friends who are spread to the four corners. Yes, to a certain extent it's lazy, but without it there are a lot of people who I would have fallen out of touch with completely and it's nice to keep that link up.
    I find facebook quite useful, especially in the past when I have been away in far flung periods of the world at short notice. I guess it is what you make of it. It's important in my mind to keep your privacy settings to a standard where its not possible for complete random folk to know all of your information. A lot of people sometimes find facebook "crap" because they expect too much from it, I just use it to keep in touch with people, in a similar way and for similar reasons to Scary Monster.
    I find facebook okay. I have a close friend who studies in florida and its really good to be able to talk to her still.
    I agree with what has already been said. Facebook if used properly is useful.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I have around 1000 friends on Facebook now, and I barely know half of them, my privacy settings are high though, as members on here who have me can tell you, but I adore Facebook most of the time, haha. But everyone has their own personal opinion on it.
    **Angel** wrote: »
    I have around 1000 friends on Facebook now, and I barely know half of them, my privacy settings are high though, as members on here who have me can tell you, but I adore Facebook most of the time, haha. But everyone has their own personal opinion on it.

I'm not sure I see the effectiveness of having high privacy settings if you have 1,000 friends of which you barely know half of them.
    What annoys me is when people say "Facebook causes arguments". No, facebook is just a platform for people to have an argument, People cause the arguments, Because people are hiding behind a screen and a keyboard they act really "hard" because they know the person they're attacking can't see them or can't hurt them, so in them 5 minutes or however long it lasts, they can send as many threats and be a 'keyboard warrier' to someone else, because they know that somebody else can't do anything to them, whilst its happening.

Personally, I find the fact if it wasn't for facebook I'd probably still be living in a very unsafe environment amazing.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Facebook is what you make it.

What she said.

I have less than fifty friends on mine and all of them are actual people I would call a friend. It's an easy way to keep up with their lives, see their kids grow up and share stupid internet videos.

I also write excellent status updates.
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I'm not sure I see the effectiveness of having high privacy settings if you have 1,000 friends of which you barely know half of them.

Haha, nobody can see any of my stuff anyhow, haha.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    It's really useful when I'm abroad - I can keep in touch with people for next to no cost and then just chat to whoever I need to and arrange to meet up with them. I do use it to procrastinate a little too much though!
    I keep my friends list around the 160 mark and have regular culls if the number starts creeping up. I've also got everyone sorted into groups so I can control which group see's which posts. For example I have some younger family members on there so they can't see most of my status updates or photos. Or people I only really have on their out of politeness but I don't want them to see everything. The one thing I do hate about facebook though is that you can no longer control who see's your comments and likes unless they opt out of it themselves. I go through and uncheck most of the options for new friends because I hate that little feed thing being filled with pointless crap like that. I also miss how you could be tagged in photos but if that album was friends only then only the friends of that persons album could see them. Now everyone can see tagged photos of you. I also miss the old chat/messages being separate.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I hate that little feed thing being filled with pointless of that persons album could see them.

Do you mean the "ticker" thing at the side of the screen? If you've got google chrome you can download an app to disable that so you can't see it. It drove me bloody insane!

I deleted my old facebook because the number of friends got ridiculous, above 800. Anyone who has more than 50 mutual friends with you sees it fit to add you as their friend, which is annoying.

I wouldn't say facebook is boring and crap though, because I don't expect it to be exciting. I go on there to message friends, and it's a good way to keep up to date with events like my friends gigs, or school charity things etc. I rarely scroll through all my news feed, I start to... and then I get to some "facebook famous" girl sticking her boobs out and doing the duck face and I remember that thankfully I have a life outside of social media.
    . I rarely scroll through all my news feed, I start to... and then I get to some "facebook famous" girl sticking her boobs out and doing the duck face and I remember that thankfully I have a life outside of social media.

:lol:

Agree, Facebook is what you make of it. Recently started using it again and it's mainly to talk to friends who don't live near me and to pass on/keep up to date with things at uni