Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mental Health Jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm off to study part time in Leeds in September and hope to move up there in August. I have 13 years customer service experience and will need to get a part time job... However, I'd like to change direction and have been thinking of mental health support work and/or advocacy...

- I have been a trade union rep for three years and have represented people with MH issues, including advocacy and negotiating adjustments
- I have worked 4 years helping people in to work, so can build CVs ect
- I have a passion for health and fitness
- Love gardening and am creative, also excellent with people and challenging situations
- I have experienced MH issues myself and manage my bipolar really well

But...

- No experience in support work, no NVQ
- Cannot drive
- Have dyspraxia and can't lift very heavy things

Is it a hard field to break in to? After my Masters, I wanna try and get a part time PHD, so will likely stay in the field for a while...

Are agencies the best route in? Should I apply to companies directly or just to ones advertising?

How is the pay in general?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sorry... Wrong section

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There is a charity based here in Leeds called Advocacy Support (name changed: http://www.leedsadvocacy.org.uk/) who you may be able to get some experience with, also perhaps you could look into volunteering for the local CAB or something? That might help out with your "no experience"