Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fairy tale couples vs reality couples

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there, I’m sarah and I’m a volunteer peer advisor on askTheSite. I was helping out with TheSite relationships week on their facebook page a few weeks ago and it got me thinking about how we grow to learn about romantic relationships and what to expect from them.

I wanted to ask people whether there is a fictional couple that has affected their view of relationships or just given them something to think about or hope for?

I know for me when I was a teenager, it was definitely Monica and Chandler from Friends! I know now that that kind of relationship is pretty much out of reach (plus you only ever see the happy milestones in their relationship and not all the boring bits) but when I was younger I remember feeling wistful about it. It seemed such a smooth process from being friends to falling in love to getting married that I couldn't help envy them!

tumblr_m4r5ho0OZb1qclykmo4_250.gif

I wonder how much media plays a role in giving people false expectations of relationships? Would love to hear your thoughts...and post your pictures too!

Comments

• Options
    Sarah.R wrote: »
    Hi there, I’m sarah and I’m a volunteer peer advisor on askTheSite. I was helping out with TheSite relationships week on their facebook page a few weeks ago and it got me thinking about how we grow to learn about romantic relationships and what to expect from them.

I wanted to ask people whether there is a fictional couple that has affected their view of relationships or just given them something to think about or hope for?

I know for me when I was a teenager, it was definitely Monica and Chandler from Friends! I know now that that kind of relationship is pretty much out of reach (plus you only ever see the happy milestones in their relationship and not all the boring bits) but when I was younger I remember feeling wistful about it. It seemed such a smooth process from being friends to falling in love to getting married that I couldn't help envy them!

tumblr_m4r5ho0OZb1qclykmo4_250.gif

I wonder how much media plays a role in giving people false expectations of relationships? Would love to hear your thoughts...and post your pictures too!

Hey...I can't really think of any fictional couples of my own, but i kind of disagree about Monica & Chandlers relationship being easy and seamless.

As i remember it they got together almost by accident when drunk, and then kept it a secret for a long time cos they were both so insecure about it. He was scared of commitment, she was a bit of a neat/control freak.

Sure they lived happily ever after in the end but they had a lot of bumps in the road and that's probably why people rooted for them...It wasn't a fairytale (mainly because fairytales aren't that funny :d)

I happen to believe that a lot of the "romantic drama" films do portray a seriously innacurate view of relationships. The big grand gesture/declaration of love and all that, i think most people show their affection in far more discreet/less lame ways.....
  • Options
    As a little girl it was disney couples like belle and the beast and ariel and eric (not least cos i fancied the pants off him :D)
  • Options
    It's weird on TV how everyone always has something thoughtful and insightful to talk about and the money to go out every night with a group of friends who are inexplicably single and childless.
  • Options
    Mickey and Mallory :love::heart:
  • Options
    When I was little I used to cut off all my barbies hair, and have two barbies in a relationship because I hated stupid Ken dolls. To me it seemed that men always caused problems, and I refused to have any male toys :p

I can't think of any fictional couples though... maybe when I read the Twilight books a few years ago I wanted to be like Bella and Edward, but I've seen past the sparkley vampire phase now ;)
  • Options
    i used to like the ones from little house on the prairie
  • Options
    Not sure you'd call them a fairy tale couple as such - but Meredith and Derrick in Greys Anatomy.

It was one of those despite everything it kind of worked for them stories - made me think there might be hope.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    If I could go back in time, it would definitely be these two...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m37qyeiZty1qje0q4o1_500.gif

(from submarine)

There's nothing fairytale about them. :heart:
  • Options
    Just saw this article on Time Out about couples in films...

It looks at movie romances and asks, would they really last? http://www.timeout.com/london/film/movie-romances-would-they-really-last

The first paragraph says:
    Scientific research (by actual scientists) has proven that romantic movies ruin our love lives. The problem, according to dating expert and psychotherapist Dr Wendy Walsh, is that films end at the beginning of a relationship. ‘In real-life, that’s when the work starts. Movies make us believe that it’s all about finding the right person. But picking a partner is only about ten percent of having a healthy relationship. The rest of it is about relationship skills.’

I totally agree that most rom-coms bang on about the pursuit of 'The One' and don't really show much about what happens a few years down the line. :)
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    If I could go back in time, it would definitely be these two...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m37qyeiZty1qje0q4o1_500.gif

(from submarine)

There's nothing fairytale about them. :heart:

They're my favvvvourite :D
  • Options
    Sid and Nancy <3
  • Options
    I totally agree that most rom-coms bang on about the pursuit of 'The One' and don't really show much about what happens a few years down the line. :)

Just look at the movie Speed. Keanu and Sandra fall in love, 3 years later in Speed 2 she's with some other bloke.
  • Options
    And that only happened because Keanu Reeves didn't want to be involved with the stinker that was Speed 2: Cruise Control.

Shrek came closest to lampooning happy ever after, but even that wasn't great at it.
  • Options
    baz lurhmann's version of romeo and juliet
  • Options
    And, this thread can't be complete without mention of Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy. :D
  • Options

I watched that with my mum who wasn't impressed on the basis of the Montague's being 'too shouty.'
  • Options

For being a false representation?
  • Options
    For being a false representation?

of love or Shakespeare's r and j

haha- I love their beach shirts. the capulets also had style!
  • Options
    Do any of you believe that successful relationships are down to fate, like we often see in films?
  • Options
    Shikari wrote: »
    Sid and Nancy <3

What was cool about them? Do you want a relationship like there's?
  • Options
    Do any of you believe that successful relationships are down to fate, like we often see in films?

No, but, it sometimes feels that way. Picc and I have known each other for years, but it was her breaking her leg at just the right time that brought us together...
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    No, but, it sometimes feels that way. Picc and I have known each other for years, but it was her breaking her leg at just the right time that brought us together...

People love a good relationships 'getting together' story :)

Have you seen French Film? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0986230/) It takes it to the extreme, but did make me think about relationship narratives and how we perceive them - the importance of storytelling in our personal relationships and the value we place on it in terms of recognising what has helped us to bond. I guess the key is to keep identifying new stories at key points as relationships develop.
  • Options
    Well if my date tonight turns into a relationship, then it's definitely drifting towards the fate territory. Two distinctly odd characters end up working in the middle of no where and bond over geek stuff and overnight ferry travel.
  • Options
    People love a good relationships 'getting together' story :) .

Is that a hint?
  • Options
    What was cool about them? Do you want a relationship like there's?

I definitely think Shikari would suit the Nancy role :thumb:

I don't believe in fate but it really does feel like it sometimes. I met Dr Roll for the first time the day after I accepted the job in London and knew I was moving away. Sure it was off a dating website, it wasn't totally random, but we were just meeting as mates. I genuinely didn't see her like that. We've both decided we wouldn't have clicked if I'd been staying in the north east, Sod's Law dictating that as much as anything.

I think many relationships start in surprising ways because you can't force relationships. I know many friends whose relationships have started after they acted out of character or made an impulsive decision to go out and do something. I don't think it is "fate" but it shows that you cannot often construct meaningful relationships out of a formula.
  • Options

Real life is not the same as reel life but, then again no harm in dreaming and believing in miracles. If you see movies like serendipity of when harry met sally, you'll believe.
  • Options
    People love a good relationships 'getting together' story :)

They do, that's called "HOPE". Life can be really grim if we go on living in reality only, we need to have fairy tales, love stories, miracles, magic and above all.
    There are many artists who haven not been in successful relationship themselves but, not all of them portray the same in their work, writing, painting, songs, etc. coz' world needs hope. :)
    But, then what do I know, I'm just a hopeless romantic and a dreamer. :d