Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sexism is alive and well (unfortunately)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Recently discovered @everydaysexism on twitter. Anyone else seen it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yea I've seen it before. Not too surprising really, the idea that sexism, racism or bigotry will ever be completely eradicated is a fantasy. We can only realistically hope to make the next generation more tolerant.

It is quite sad / depressing to read through though. As a personal note I have to find that compromise between sticking my head in the sand to the big bad world, and being overwhelmed by the unprecedented vision of the worst parts of humanity the internet gives you.
    The thing that's different about sexism, is that people deny that it exists. The most usual argument is that "well, women have equal rights now, and you still want the fucking door opened, bitch."
    I don't think that's a common view broadly speaking though, just as the people who deny racism exists and that minorities 'game the system' now is probably not the majority opinion. I think most people in the UK at least hold doors open for other people regardless of gender.

As someone said recently on a video of a hit and run I saw: Humanity is not the one shitty cunt who hurts people and runs away. It's the crowd of people who instantly ran to help. I mean this only as a commentary of the internets ability to offer a laser focus on the shitty bits of humanity that can make us feel that it's the norm everywhere.
    You've got a point. In fairness, I haven't experienced a lot of sexism. A bit here and there, in my current job most of my co-workers just aren't that fucking stupid. They know full well I'll rip them to shreds and then report them to HR, more importantly, they respect my ability, but I also know that sexist jokes circulate now and then on email. So.... yeah
    There's also the old canard that sexism is only one way.
    Yeah, I've seen it.

On the one hand, some of the stuff they post is pretty bad.

On the other, I've never seen such joyless whingeing in all my life.
    Sometimes it's stuff that I personally wouldn't get too excited about, give back as good as I got etc. Some of it is appalling though.
    Some people might suggest that certain things on that feed could be made up, but with my faith in humanity at an all time low in terms of sexism, call me cynical but its highly likely to have happened to someone somewhere.
    Some things just aren't made up. For example, Donald Trump tweeting that the reason that there are so many complaints about rape/sexual assault in the US Army is because of women.
    Donald Trump is a rectum. I don't think anyone with a fully functioning brain cell listens to a word of what he says.

I can well believe that the things reported definitely happened. I've seen similar things with my own eyes, I've seen people on here say it is ok to grope women in nightclubs because they like it really. It happens where these men know there won't be any repercussions on their behaviour; that's why they pick on schoolgirls, or those who look shy, or they do things in nightclubs or on the tube where they're anonymous.

But it isn't even that that annoys me. I hate the whole gender-specific toys idea. Dr Magnanti posted an excellent flowchart recently about that:
    Do you use the toy with your genitals? Yes- it's not for children. No- it's suitable for either a boy or a girl

But I think the Everyday Sexism thing loses some of its power when they get riled about every sexist joke ever made by anyone, ever.
    But it isn't even that that annoys me. I hate the whole gender-specific toys idea. Dr Magnanti posted an excellent flowchart recently about that:

But I think the Everyday Sexism thing loses some of its power when they get riled about every sexist joke ever made by anyone, ever.

These are two true facts with which I wholeheartedly agree.
    Also, take a look at this thread. I know it's based in America but it shocks me that this still happens

http://www.postsecretcommunity.com/chat/viewtopic.php?t=369883
    Donald Trump is a rectum. I don't think anyone with a fully functioning brain cell listens to a word of what he says.

I can well believe that the things reported definitely happened. I've seen similar things with my own eyes, I've seen people on here say it is ok to grope women in nightclubs because they like it really. It happens where these men know there won't be any repercussions on their behaviour; that's why they pick on schoolgirls, or those who look shy, or they do things in nightclubs or on the tube where they're anonymous.

Haha love the flow chart. Pinched this from you on facebook because it's such a good read http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2010/03/25/predator-theory/. Blaming too much alcohol needs to stop being shrugged off as a legitimate excuse to fall back on.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    You've got a point. In fairness, I haven't experienced a lot of sexism. A bit here and there, in my current job most of my co-workers just aren't that fucking stupid. They know full well I'll rip them to shreds and then report them to HR, more importantly, they respect my ability, but I also know that sexist jokes circulate now and then on email. So.... yeah

and those jokes circulating via email are exclusively or even mostly about women and sent by men? I think not.

meanwhile, this is the sort of humour daytime TV affords...

Dr Magnanti must be a fool if he thinks sex differences don't extend beyond genitalia. Tabula Rasa is essentially what you're arguing here, an utterly ridiculous idea completely refuted by decades of research.

of course sexism exists. BOTH ways....

an example of what can be expected when the problem of male suicide is discussed outwith a neo-marxist framework that doesn't reinforce feminist ideology...

we also have the perpetual lies about the 'pay gap' as evidence of 'patriarchy' and 'male privilege' despite piles of studies showing this to have nothing to do with discrimination but misleading statistics (such as comparing men who work full-time with women who work full-time and part-time) and individual choice...

the framing of domestic violence as almost exclusively male-on-female when the actual stats indicate parity, with lesbian relationships consistently shown to be the most violent...

the soft treatment (usually avoiding jailtime) for women who make false rape claims and more lenient sentencing for female criminals generally...

I could go on, but the narrative of men as the oppressor class and women as the victim class is too deeply entrenched and self-serving for many of you to consider alternative perspectives.