Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Agoraphobia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hello,

does anyone else here suffer from Agoraphobia?

iv suffered with it for years but recently its got really bad again :(
the only time i can go out at the moment, is if i have an appointment and my mum has to take my otherwise i wont go.
Its been a while since i had to use comping skills, and i cant remember many off them now, apart from breathing skills, im not sure what else there is.
does anyone have an suggestion as to what other skills i could use?

thanks x

Comments

• Options
    Hi Eliza :wave:

Well done for making a post about your agoraphobia and reaching out. I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience so I can't advise you from my own point of view, but I have found a few resources that might help you.

The positive news is that many people manage to overcome agoraphobia and lead normal lives. According to NHS Direct: "Around a third of people eventually achieve a complete cure and remain free from symptoms." So, if you manage to get the right treatment and are keen to make a go if, there's every chance that you could overcome it.

You say that you go to appointments - that's a really good first step, I'd imagine that you have to start small and work up, so being able to go out to your appointments is definitely a good start :)

Can I ask what appointments you are attending? Counselling and CBT are both successful treatments for agoraphobia, so if you aren't already having one of these, perhaps you could talk to your doctor about the possibility of starting one?

It's good that you mention some self-help ideas too. Learning some basic relaxation techniques could be really beneficial - Mind has a good guide on managing stress with some breathing techniques you can easily learn at home.

Keep posting here and let us know how things are going for you.
    Take care
    Spanner *hug*
  • Options
    hello

thank you for your help, i am seeing a CPN nurse at the moment and have just met my support worker now to. so im hoping my support worker will be able to help me with this. Iv had about 3/4 years of physiotherapy, which has helped in the past.

im also looking into going back on to medication as well, this has helped in the past to, and doing some more CBT.

thanks you for your reply
    eliza