Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

No Income

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey :wave:

So it seems to be one thing after another.

My income support was stopped on the 13th April, but the lovely people they are (sense the sarcasm) only thought to let me know on Friday (26th April) Not the best letter to come back after being discharged from hospital.

Apparently I'm in debt with them now for 'untold changes' which, I've told them about every change. The number was a bit big for my liking. Apparently the people I live with are going to try and sort that out for me though.

So I've just applied for Job Seekers, because I have £2 to pay rent, buy essentials and travel to interviews, which isn't really doable.

The question I have, is what if they decline my application? How am I going to manage to pay rent, and buy essentials?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't see how they can decline you JSA if you are willing and able to look for work.

Are there other welfare payments you could receive? Housing Benefit, PIP etc?
    I'm already on Housing Benefit. What's PIP?

Yeah, I've told them when I went in today, I've been applying but been told also to apply for JSA.
    PIP is personal independence payments, they replaced DLA. I'm not sure if you're eligible, but thought I'd suggest it.
    Aye okay, probably not. I'll just keep fingers crossed and stuffs. Hopefully I don't get kicked out of here for not paying rent.
    I'm already on Housing Benefit. What's PIP?

Yeah, I've told them when I went in today, I've been applying but been told also to apply for JSA.

If you're not well enough to work Employment Support Allowance is now also part of PIP. I would suggest you do look into PIP because a lot of mental health difficulties entitle you to some benefits whether you're well enough to work or not. You might also be eligible for some housing benefits.

Most community mental health trusts have benefits advisers, as do a lot of local Mind groups and CABs, worth trying to see if you can find someone to help you with the paperwork.
    Oooh okay, thank you!
    Will bring it up when I get an interview with them, or I'll pop down to the local CAB tomorrow :)
    Oooh okay, thank you!
    Will bring it up when I get an interview with them, or I'll pop down to the local CAB tomorrow :)

:thumb: When I had care co-ordinators (a CPN in one trust, a social worker in another) they have always been awesome at helping with this kind of stuff.
    Aye okay, probably not. I'll just keep fingers crossed and stuffs. Hopefully I don't get kicked out of here for not paying rent.

You probably are actually. I qualified for DLA to the tune of about £80 a month. It's not masses but it certainly helps and there's no harm in applying.
    Ooo okay, can always ask when I go in!

Thank you :)
    Hey there sophiepea,
    Have you had an interview yet or have you been to the CAB yet? If so, what was the outcome?
    It must be a frustrating time for you right now.
    I don't mean to alarm you further, but sometimes, when one of your benefits is stopped (e.g. Income Support or Employment Support Allowance or Job Seeker's Allowance) your Housing Benefit is also stopped. It is a very annoying position to be in and the system is just not helpeful. I would suggest that you call Housing Benefit to make sure it is in payment and if it's not find out what information they need to get it back in payment urgently as you do not want rent arrears to arise.
    Also, have you applied for JSA yet and how did that go?
    Keep us posted.
    :)
    I went to the Job Centre and they put a claim in for JSA, which I'm STILL waiting to hear back from but I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to see what's happening, seeing as I've gone 4 weeks with no income at all!

Yeah, when I signed for the tenancy on my new flat, I told them my income issue, and they said to call Housing Benefit? (Correct me if I'm wrong, she went through so much I forgot most of it) and then to let them know what my income is.

Hoping that I get some sort of income soon though!!
    Hiya

Really sorry to read this, it must be super stressful for you, but it sounds like you're being really proactive and doing all the right things.

I also wanted to give you this link to a benefits adviser tool - it basically asks you to put in your info and then tells you what you could be entitled to claim - it might give you some more options, so worth a go!

Let us know how things progress :)
    spanner wrote: »
    Hiya

Really sorry to read this, it must be super stressful for you, but it sounds like you're being really proactive and doing all the right things.

I also wanted to give you this link to a benefits adviser tool - it basically asks you to put in your info and then tells you what you could be entitled to claim - it might give you some more options, so worth a go!

Let us know how things progress :)

I've sorted most of it!:)
    Housing Benefit is behind 4 weeks, but they'll backdate it as soon as they can and I won't have rent to pay as it's only a one bed... JSA should be sorted next week, if not I have my support worker phoning up to find out what's going on, and they should backdate it to the 13th April....

So stressful, but I'm getting there!:)