Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Are you voting?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Following up from a conversation on the leaders chat, Tomorrow is voting day.

I remember when I was younger I felt left out by not being able to vote as I was to little *Sad face* even though I don't understand politics I still wanted the privilege of being able to, Now I'm eighteen, I'm not even going to!

So, are you voting?. Do you understand voting?. Do you understand politics or do you just go for whoever has a cooler name?. Do you even care who wins?. Or are you one of those people who feel really strong about voting and who wins?.

Would love to hear!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    voting for what?!
    grace wrote: »
    voting for what?!

Local elections
    I just go for the coolest name.

But no I'm not voting because I omitted to reregister when I moved house.

Statistically speaking voting is an unnecessary expense anyway. Representative sampling should be ample.
    I'm not voting because there aren't any elections in my area :razz:

I have always voted since I was eligible to, the only exception being the police commissioner election because I didn't agree with the whole thing and didn't want to waste my time going out in the rain when all I would have done was spoil my ballot.

i live in a constituency and a metropolitan borough where the results are a foregone conclusion before elections are even held. but yes I do still feel strongly about it and it annoys me when people say they don't care about politics because it's everything from whether the country goes to war to when your bins are emptied, it's a big part of our lives whether we show an interest or not.
    Shy boy - I contacted the council cos I did the same thing, and you can vote from your old address if its within the same borough.

I am, but I have to find out where the street is that the polling station I have to go to is (not my nearest because of the above). I'll be voting Green Party or lib dem (because this is one of the strongest lib dem areas in the country, so there's little point).
    I was going to go to the voting station just to write "you are all cunts and I hope you all die" on the ballot. Then I realised they wouldn't read it, nor see the cock and balls I'd doodle either. So no, I'm not.

Voting only encourages the fuckers.
    I've been moving around a lot and I get so confused as to if I'm registered or not. I know I should have done something about it, but I ran out of time I guess
    I've been moving around a lot and I get so confused as to if I'm registered or not. I know I should have done something about it, but I ran out of time I guess

I moved, and forgot to register. Sad face.
    I just spoiled my ballot paper. Labour, Tory, LibDem or UKIP, those people and those parties don't represent me.
    I used a postal vote which I sent in on Monday.
    I've moved house so I didn't vote, I reregistered but not in time
    Ukip
    Always make my way into the voting booth, maybe I'll positively vote, maybe tactically, maybe spoil my paper. Always use my voice though.

Sad to say though, UKIP got 17 seats in my County Council, including both in one town and 7/8 across one district. So embarrassing.
    I couldn't find my polling station so lost out on my vote :(
    I told someone i hadn't voted and I got lectured at how "a woman died for your right to vote". No matter how many times I explained to her I hadn't registered because I'd just moved cities..she didn't listen..-shakes head- although i watched my friend vote..
    Shikari wrote: »
    Ukip

That's what my whole family votes for, and what I shall be doing :')
    Why?

I just don't understand why anyone would want to vote for UKIP, surely they are just BNP lite? I'm not attacking, I'm seriously wanting to know why people vote for them.
    because people want to believe in easy answers
    I don't understand Ukip and I'm confused if its good or bad?.
    Because this country is screwed, pardon my apparent racism. But all i see everywhere these days are coloured people, muslim people and asian people.
    I go into a shop, polish people working there. Went to the landfill, all polish workers...
    On my street alone, 2 polish shops have opened, there are 2 foreign hairdressers and 1 middle eastern hairdressers.

I call my phone company up, some indian speaking...

It's not that i have a problem with these people, it's just. I want an English person to cut my hair, make my food and talk to me on the phone. It's personal preference.
    England doesn't feel English... Some people may like multiculturalism but personally, I really don't.

Specially when i apply for Jobs, i sit in a line waiting my turn. And instead of there being every Tom, Dick and Harry sat there it's every, Mohammed, Rodriquez and Abdullah.
    Ohh,

Totally off topic, but reminds me of when I called Yorkshire Bank, and a scottish person answered...Whats all that about? I can't understand scottish accents, I can yorkshire accents..silllyy
    pardon my apparent racism..

Bit more than apparent. Some of the examples you give are ridiculous. What does it matter who cuts your hair? I had a Turkish bloke do mine a few months back, did a far better job than the English woman I normally went to, he was friendlier and he offered me a cup of coffee whilst I was waiting.
    And the landfill one, wtf? Why should anyone give a shit about the ethnicity of the person putting my crap in a skip? Are you honestly saying that only White people are allowed to handle your trash.....?

This country is screwed, but it isn't being screwed up by Igor who wants to cut your hair or pick up your litter, it's being done by the Daves and Georges running the country, the Barrys and Steves fighting you down the pub and the Connors and Lees breaking into your house ( No offence to you if your name is Lee or Connor!) and the intolerant who think White is Might.
    Agree with Whowhere, by and large. That's not apparent racism, that's straight-up racist.
    You seem to be making the assumption that no one who is non-white (or has a name that doesn't sound English to you) is not British. I find that somewhat problematic, even leaving aside the issues Whowhere has picked up on.

What is it about being part of Europe, or having a high number of immigrant communities, that you find threatening or difficult? Do you view the number of "English pubs" in Malaga (for example) as being equally problematic, or is that a different issue?
    So far shikari you have just proved my suspicions.

Britain has been a migrant nation since the 50s, so I'd get with the picture! One of the nicest carers I've had happened to Japanese. Why do you want English hairdressers? Other than just because they're English?
    Because this country is screwed, pardon my apparent racism. But all i see everywhere these days are coloured people, muslim people and asian people.
    I go into a shop, polish people working there. Went to the landfill, all polish workers...
    On my street alone, 2 polish shops have opened, there are 2 foreign hairdressers and 1 middle eastern hairdressers.

I call my phone company up, some indian speaking...

It's not that i have a problem with these people, it's just. I want an English person to cut my hair, make my food and talk to me on the phone. It's personal preference.
    England doesn't feel English... Some people may like multiculturalism but personally, I really don't.

Specially when i apply for Jobs, i sit in a line waiting my turn. And instead of there being every Tom, Dick and Harry sat there it's every, Mohammed, Rodriquez and Abdullah.

Putting aside the obvious racism in that reply. Let's just deal with the politics of the question...

How will voting UKIP in a *local* election, change any of that?
    I don't think UKIP are racist. They're certainly right wing and I don't agree with their policies, but they're not overtly racist. They believe in independence from Europe, much like the SDP believe in independence from the UK. That doesn't make them racist.

Shikari sounds more like a BNP voter on here though. It's hard to tell when he is being provocative vs what he actually believes though, so I'd take it with a pinch of salt.
    How will voting UKIP in a *local* election, change any of that?

You stole my follow up question! Which I admit has also been playing on my mind with the anti-cuts candidates. If the welfare cuts are done by central government, how will an anti-cuts counsellor do their job?

Additionally, both UKIP and anti-cuts groups are often fielding candidates who are single-issue and I have to admit that I would not trust them to get the bins collected on time...
    I think it's more complicated than saying "eugh you're racist".

In London I'm struck by how few English accents I hear on the tube and by how few English people serve me my beer or coffee. I don't mind immigration but it makes me wonder how they can afford to live here and it makes me wonder what would happen to our unemployment rates if they weren't here.

I don't believe in borders and don't care if Steve or Sergei pours my latte. But if you're poor and unemployed and bitter you very quickly will.
    Emmalee wrote: »
    I told someone i hadn't voted and I got lectured at how "a woman died for your right to vote". No matter how many times I explained to her I hadn't registered because I'd just moved cities..she didn't listen..-shakes head- although i watched my friend vote..

They also fought for your right to choose not to vote if that's what you want to do.

Ready made reply next time anyone says that to you!

Immigration is an issue, particularly in certain areas, but immigrants are an easy target for people to blame the countrys problems on IMO. A far larger proportion of our own citizens cause us more problems and cost us more money.