Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Film Club Nominations May! ANIMATED FILMS!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
As chosen by the lovely Franki by the competition held in April's Film Club Chat our theme this month is animated films.

The format for nominations is as follows.

Film Title (Cert)

Film Trailer as a video embed or URL link

Synopsis:

Reason for nominating:

As always, two films will win, of which only one can be an 18cert. Nominations close on Monday 6th May(ish) for voting to begin.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Belleville Rendezvous (also known as Les Triplettes de Belleville, or The Triplets of Belleville) (12a)

Synopsis: A silent musical (it has a beautiful original jazz score, but no dialogue) set in 1930s France. The story follows Madame Souza raising her grandson Champion, who has a love of cycling. Eventually, his dream to enter the Tour de France takes him to Belleville, where he is kidnapped by the Mafia. Madame Souza enlists an unlikely group of characters, including the jazz singers the Triplets of Belleville, to help her find him.

Reason for nomination: I love the music, and I've watched it a few times in bits and pieces but never sat down and seen it the whole way through.
    Cars (U)

Synopsis: A hot-shot race-car named Lightning McQueen gets waylaid in Radiator Springs, where he finds the true meaning of friendship and family.

Reason for nomination: It's straight up awesome, it's got CARS in it!
    The Girl who leapt through time (12a)

Synopsis: A teenage girl finds that she has the ability to leap through time. With her newfound power, she tries to use it to her advantage, but soon finds that tampering with time can lead to some rather discomforting results.

Reason: A recent discovery of mine, and I fell in love. It's such a beautiful story without being too cheesy or two sad. The ending always leaves me a bit choked up. It's just amazing!
    Appleseed (12a)

Synopsis: In a utopian society created at the end of the third world war, a female warrior who has been plucked from the badlands begins to see cracks in this new facade. And what does this community have planned for the rest of humankind?

Reason for nomination: I've seen this 2 or 3 times now, and just think it's epic.
    Can I nominate Bedknobs and Broomsticks please.

I can't do a proper nomination from work, but will sort it out at some point.
    Can I nominate Bedknobs and Broomsticks please.

I can't do a proper nomination from work, but will sort it out at some point.

Yes you can, sort out the trailer when you get home treacle.
    I'm loving this; so many films I would never have heard of otherwise!
    Tokyo Godfathers PG

Plot: On Christmas Eve three homeless people living on the streets on Tokyo find a newborn baby among the trash and set out to find the parents.

Reason: I haven't actually finished watching this yet as my internet always ends up acting up. But I've heard a lot of good stuff about it and I'm really liking it so far. I've been watching the japanese version with the subtitles on youtube. Sorry about the cheesy american trailer, but it's the only english one I could find.
    Interstella 5555 Not sure what the rating is but I think it's U or PG at most. Can't find a UK one.
    Synopsis: An unscrupulous music executive and his flunky kidnap an alien, blue-skinned techno band, rob them of their identities, pass them off as human, and foist them on an unsuspecting public on Earth. After their arrival and their impact on the human population, the members of the band try to piece back their identities, escape from the clutches of the evil music executive, and return to their own world

Reason: It's a silent musical of Daft Punks album Aerodynamic. I fell in love when I first watched it, I'd seen the music videos when it came out 10 years ago but only saw the film about a year ago. It's not very long, but it tells a really unique and sweet story with no words. And the mixture of Daft Punk and japanese animation is rather good!

eta: For some reason the video isn't coming up even though it's inserted as one and not a link
    take the "s" of https and it will work :)
    My Neighbour Totoro (U)

While their mother recovers from an illness, Satsuki and her little sister Mei (voiced in English by Dakota Fanning and Elle Fanning) get away from it all in an idyllic rural retreat. Far from the bustle of the city, they discover a mysterious place of spirits and magic, and the friendship of the Totoro woodland creatures.

Conceived as a family film devoid of conflict and suffused with the carefree pleasures of the summertime, My Neighbour Totoro sees Hayao Miyazaki create a parable of friendship and imagination populated with unforgettable characters.

A universal classic for all generations, My Neighbour Totoro shows Japanese animation`s famous Studio Ghibli at its very best, and is an elegy to two ever-fading miracles: the fairytale world of childhood and the disappearing countryside.

Reason: Because Totoro. That's why.
    Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (PG)

Classic Japanese anime feature, set in a distant future after human civilisation has been wiped out in a global war known as the 'Seven Days of Fire'. In the isolated Valley of the Wind, Princess Nausicaa rules over a small group of survivors, the valley bordered on all sides by a toxic jungle guarded by monstrous insect creatures. This equilibrium is about to be disturbed though, as a new struggle for earthly domination threatens to unfold.

Reason: One of the first Ghibli films I watched (after Spirited Away), and I loved it. Would love to watch it again. GIVE ME A REASON TO WATCH IT AGAIN.
    The Last Unicorn (U)

An animated adventure, in which a unicorn sets out in search of other examples of its species. She finds them all trapped in limbo and it is up to her to set them free. (Short synopsis is short, sorry!)

Reason: One of my very favourite childhood movies. It's so gorgeous.
    Kiki's Delivery Service (U)

Adapted by Hayao Miyazaki from the children?s book by Eiko Kadono, KIKI?S DELIVERY SERVICE is a magical parable that will entertain girls and boys alike. It follows the fun filled escapades and new friendships of a young trainee witch, Kiki who must leave her family on the night of a full moon to learn her craft.

With her chatty black cat, Jiji, she flies off to find the perfect spot in a faraway city where she must live for a whole year by using her magical powers. But Kiki is poor with potions and second-rate at spells. She befriends a bakery owner and instead, Kiki sets up a courier service, using her broomstick to deliver everything from pies to pets. At first with only her sarcastic cat for company, she soon discovers that she has more friends than she ever thought possible.

Reason: My favourite Ghibli EVER. Also everyone needs a cat called Jiji.
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit (U)

Synopsis:A toon hating detective is a cartoon rabbit's only hope to prove his innocence when he is accused of murder.

Reason for Nominating: The dude with scary eyes, also the weasels. Plus, Jessica Rabbit.
    Grave of the Fireflies

Grave of the Fireflies - 12

I know I'm just around for chat these days but honestly, anyone expect me to miss this one? ;)

Synopsis:
    A young boy and his little sister's struggle to survive in Japan during World War II.

Reason:
    My nomination is the astounding piece of animation, Grave of the Fireflies, one of the most powerful pieces of cinema ever created. No one should know war in their lives but we should all have a sense of what it could be like. Be warned though this film will break your soul, for very important reasons.

Here's Roger Ebert putting it better than I ever could:
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Spirited Away, I was also going to nominate My Neighbour Totoro, but, FrankiPanda's chose it :P

Synopsis:
    In the middle of her family's move to the suburbs, a sullen 10-year-old girl wanders into a world ruled by gods, witches, and monsters; where humans are changed into animals; and a bathhouse for these creatures.

Reason:
    This was such an expressive emotional movie, and I was honestly heartfelt when I watched it, it leaves you hanging of your chair almost, and it's just catching. I get I'm Angel, and one of the boring members on here, but 'Spirited away' is one that you should most definitely watch. It's slow, but it's also really good.
    BUMP! Anymore for Anymore!?
    Waiting for bashir was good, but fucked up. Everything else I thought of (asides Persepolis which I'll nominate later) ms panda features has already said.
    I think that's a good enough selection
    Nominations are now Closed!
    Shucks, I was going to nominate Sky Blue, because it's been sat on my shelf for a couple of years.